Ongoing Edit and Photo Abuse in Sydney

2»

Comments

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has it really culminated to this? You ban regular words in the submission process but the most expletive of them all comes through? Imagine reviewing and getting this vile garbage. Whoever did this should be removed from all Niantic games whatsoever.

I am truly sick of all of this abuse. If you haven't realised for the last six months, it is vile, done by mindsick zero-IQ trash of the earth who should not exist.

Abusive Nominations:

This one is clearly a third party photo.

Abusive photos:

Abusive edits

Now again, I implore you, while we're waiting for the contributions to be gated behind the Wayfarer test, consider the following:

1. All a user's first couple of photo submissions and edits should be reviewed by Niantic. Yes, it is clear as day that your staff are still reviewing photo contributions, as the majority of photos that I see during my own reviews, there is the occasional one where it is reviewed much faster than the other ones which it doesn't even appear in a photo review and is quickly approved. If a user's photo contributions are their first, consider having them for manual, direct review for Niantic so the rest of Wayfarer and the reviewers can stop dealing with this garbage!
    2. Block edits for highly abused wayspots for low or zero trust Wayfinders and only allow highly trusted wayfinders who have a long track record of successful, good edits access to editing these. The first fleet memorial above is probably one of the most recurring abuse with the most pathetic and idioctic of edits. They think they can call a plaque "rajput commission" and indiafy everything. Apparently putting pokecoins in a title or description edit means they can get Pokecoins? What sort of dumb theories do these children think of?
    3. Anyone who submits a Pokemon AR photo of ANYTHING should be sent to hell. There will never ever be a need for any wayspot to include Pokemon. Tell me, if you saw a barrage of Pokemon reviews review after review after endless reviews, would you not think it's a problem? Does the Pokemon AR photo only "not meet criteria"?
    4. Trusted Wayfinders should be able to send off an abusive edit or photo straight into Niantic review for a one-touch elimination. No one else has to review or reject a stupid edit.

There was another post which was moderated out, which you made the right choice in not approving it. But I seriously hope that you are taking some of my advice. Wayfarer in-between all this abusive gunk and sludge and the highly occurring "please retry your request" followed by the infamous end-of-queue messages is seriously driving me insane.

If you have a date in which you will gate the contributions behind the Wayfarer onboarding and the test, please advise as soon as possible, because it just feels like we're undergoing a desolate wasteland of despair. But what if they pass the test and still submit a photo of "feliz 2022" or some awful irrelevant junk? What about that?

Braindead people or IQ-less children should not be allowed to edit or submit. How you define that is up to you.

This was just reported to me just now.

Are you kidding me? The coordinates point to the Vietnam abuse cluster! It is a screenshot of a screenshot of abuse. Why is this submitted in Circular Quay? The hell knows. The person who submitted this junk should be destroyed.

Worthless human.

• We have further taken action on the 25 Wayspots and 14 Wayfinders in accordance with our policies. I appreciate you for reporting them.

Here's the next bunch...

Edits

Fake Nominations

Photos:

And this:

This is probable proof that using a Niantic rainbow icon (i.e. Tino's avatar) that they're all reading these forums and laughing in the background because nothing ever happens to these abusers and they're all left to just snicker and do even more abuse.

This is really just a game of ****-a-mole these days but it really does not stop. Do you have an update on when gating the contributions will happen? It need to happen as soon as possible.

Edits

Fakes

Photo

With the most recent update about the onboarding Wayfarer test, that will hopefully cut down on the majority of this junk. So I will report back in a months' time to see how things go.

• Thanks again for sharing more of such reports! We have further taken action on the 23 Wayspots and 21 Wayfinders in accordance with our policies.

• Bloody hell hope all those vandals have their edit/add photo rights revoked forever.

Let's evaluate how this feature is working in the last two weeks.

The last batch of abuse was posted on Feb 3 since the onboarding flow launch was released. Here are the cases below:

Edits (1)

Because every Rohit Kumar is now on the hitlist.

Fakes (3)

Still typical junk.

Photos (4)

Indonesian trash below.

This one below is the freshest case of abuse. It had been a solid while of not getting anything like this until this morning. It seems people such as the spoofer below are starting to find and will eventually distribute workarounds to add their abuse into the game.

And frankly it's disgusting. While the amount of abuse has incredibly decreased since the feature was enabled, there are still some remnant ones still in the system. And as demonstrated by this last one of Thea Astley, some are getting crafty and are actually wayfinders that have passed the test.

It's too early to say as to gauging the effectiveness of the feature, but maybe it was not enough. Maybe it's just a slight downturn before it's back to square one. I appreciate the Wayspotters Podcast in suggesting people to select Sydney as a bonus location, but bonus location nominees do not review photos.

• NianticGiffardNianticGiffard Posts: 9,164 admin
    edited February 2022

Hello @HaramDingo-ING! We have taken action on the next bunch of reported nominations and 6 Wayfinders in accordance with our policies.

In order to take action on the Wayspots "Australia sydney havens peak and sedny of luck by chance restuarant" we would need additional information since the location couldn't be determined. If you may share them at your convenience, we can review them too.

I appreciate you for helping us maintain the quality of the Wayspots.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you really allow a scenery without any tangible object to be nominated as Wayspot? And 'havens peak' might refer to a resort in the Philippines, unless the submitter doesn't know how to write properly (which, most likely the case).

Another one is really, badly nominated, not gonna lie.

In order to take action on the Wayspots "Australia sydney havens peak and sedny of luck by chance restuarant" we would need additional information since the location couldn't be determined.

Australia sydney havens peak was located somewhere in Martin Place, and "sedny of luck by chance restuarant" was located in Circular Quay... as where all the other spammed nominations are. They are already rejected from the regular spate of reviewers. I'll be sure to add any location data in for the next set of reports.

Oh, perhaps my screenshots are a bit unclear. They were actually nominations in review (i.e. in Wayfarer) and not currently actual wayspots at the moment. They were fake nominations to begin with nominated by spoofers (highly likely).

• AeriTheBOFH-PGOAeriTheBOFH-PGO Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

Still some in the system, reckon this is from before the change though?

Nope. That image is fresh. Photo reviews have moved away from Circular Quay to Redfern and ****, so to see yet another ugly Circular Quay one means it's a stupid spoofer. They also have a description and title edit for this which wreaks of illiteracy.

WOAH?! THAT SUBURB IS CENSORED?!

That is horrendous.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can only assume that it's censored because of the male dance troupe of the same name.

I had to search that up because I've never heard of them until now. But woah, I can now see what it's censored. Welp, might be unfortunate to live in a suburb who has the same name as a group of sexy male dancers (maybe).

Well, now that this post is back up again, here are more cases of edit and photo abuse mainly from spoofers.

Associated title/description edit from the Research as posted by AeriTheBOFH

Photos

And this junk:

I would appreciate Raj's account above destroyed and culled. There's some evidence to support that some of these were done after the compulsory wayfarer test was completed, but the coal... is not properly being scraped.

Here are the most recent photo abuse being done.

I guess we have to accept that reviewing South Asian boys is part of the Wayfarer experience now, since they can just all pass the test and then carry on making such photo uploads as if nothing happened.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think they have got confused somewhere with "getting agreements for edits" and have been told if an edit they make gets accepted they get an agreement? Then again, why spoof all the way to Waypoints in Sydney to do this?

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's because (1) 500k additional Wayspots from Foursquare imports still doesn't enough for them and (2) they probably don't interested at Kangaskhan anymore that they're just keep trolling local reviewers.

I mean, if they can spoof into anywhere they can, why didn't they hijack Wayspots on major clusters like Zaragoza, Budapest, Sao Paulo or Vietnam instead?

I think those other clusters actually do get a level of this idiocy of photo edits. Given the locations of all the other clusters mentioned, it seems those countries are not so active in these forums. Plus they may also have a language barrier when it comes to Wayfarer so I would (wildly) assume that they think this is commonpractice and just a whole part about Wayfarer.

I believe if anyone does this once, all their contributions should be cut off for at least six months.

There is a renewed flood of Indian boys and pokemon-related junk being submitted, and this is only a fragment of the true scale. It's not even Pokemon GO, but it's Pokemon Unite. Nice to see these abusers can pass a simple test and then go straight into abusing the system again.

• Thanks for reporting! We have further taken action on 7 Wayspots and 7 Wayfinders in accordance with our policies.

Here is a handful of nominations that I've had to review in the last couple of weeks, the ones as fresh as today.

I'm under the impression that this cannot be stopped in any way, shape or form. After every Community Day, there is a new round of spoofers and spammers submitting photos of their grandmothers, their Indian school photos, random broken english edits, amidst several others.

This is really lame and a very long lasting problem that I suppose you can only act on, smash-a-mole style.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

There must be something they can do

As the saying goes where there is a will, there is a way.

@NianticGiffard can you please ban whoever is repeatedly spamming all of these Krishna/Indian nominations in Circular Quay? They are clearly a spoofer from India. And also destroy these nominations from the queue, they have probably used all 40 just doing this trash.