How is a memorial bench next to a rugby pitch a sensitive location?

Before answering the title please be aware that there is a pokestop located near the bench already and its a sports field so isn't sensitive. Not a cemetery or anything. This is all apparent anyway during review because another pitch used by the same team mentions its the 2nd.

Memorial benches are accepted and I've seen a few popup recently. It's not located on private property or behind locked gates, you can see that on the map and whilst checking for dupes you'd see the pitch has a stop close by.

So here is my nomination.

Is it worth resubmitting with the plaque on the 1st pic and an image of the bench I'm using above as the 2nd pic when the flowers are gone?

This is the stop located close by which states its a rugby field and you'll see its the same locations: https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=54.543755,-3.594793&z=16&pll=54.545356,-3.597229

Comments

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because other memorial benches are Wayspots doesn't mean that all memorial benches are eligible as a category. The memorial needs to be of a significant or historical individual. That said, being well liked does not correlate to being a significant or historical person. Was the person a philanthropist that contributed financially or through their time to improve their community? Was he/she in any significant political office for an extended period of time? Did the person regularly receive accolades for their athletic prowess on the field?

If the best that you can come up with is that they were simply a player who died tragically, then I'm afraid that the bench wouldn't be eligible.

• Telbourn-PGOTelbourn-PGO Posts: 16 ✭✭

If the bench itself isn't unique looking and rather just a regular bench with a plaque stuck on that would likely be getting a 1* from me. Unless the individual it was a memorial to was incredibly famous/historically significant. Sensitive location seems like a fair rejection reason in this example, still flowers being left there? Likely people still going there to grieve etc not a great POI.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some reviewers may consider that a "memorial bench" may be a "sensitive location", particulary for those to whom the memorial has a special meaning. I just rejected this one when it came up in my review stream for the usual "1* - does not meet criteria" reason.

• KwyjiboHan-PGOKwyjiboHan-PGO Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

I 1* pretty much all memorial benches because I could just buy one, and they are everywhere, and the people memorialised are not notable/important.

That there are existing bench wayspots does not mean they are not terrible.

• Oakes1923-INGOakes1923-ING Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Not notable/important to whom? You? sure i guess.. to the community? You literally have not rational to go on to say no.

If someone can make a trail sign, walk down a trail and mount it to a tree and that would fly right through as a trail marker then why shouldn't a bench WITH A CONCRETE PAD memorializing a local resident be considered a valid Wayspot. This rational has always mystified me.

Memorial Benches in public spaces, like parks, plazas, etc should get as much consideration as any other spot for public to gather and explore, like a memorial plaque on the side of the building, sign post, etc.

A Memorial Bench next to a rugby pitch should get consideration. I'm inclined to accept.

• MelodyS1988-PGOMelodyS1988-PGO Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

I pretty much never see any of the generic memorial bench submissions make a case as to how the person was significant to the local community. If they put anything in the supporting information it is usually some variation of "need moar Pokestops" or at best where the bench is located.

If 99.9999% of people's response to the person the bench is dedicated to is "who?", then they were not significant to anyone that didn't know them personally. If they were locally prominent then the person nominating the bench needs to explain how.

Just being dead and having people that knew you and have the money to slap your name on a bench doesn't make you significant. I hate to break it to you, but every single person that has ever existed on the planet is either dead or will be eventually.

• thundercracker1-INGthundercracker1-ING Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

While this poor man is obviously important to his family and friends, unfortunately he would not fall under a noteworthy (historical) individual unless there is evidence that he did something above and beyond for the local community or is world renowned. Just being involved in a tragic accident and having your family/colleagues/friends put up a bench does not meet any current criteria set out by Niantic

• Nutronic-PGONutronic-PGO Posts: 26 ✭✭

Thanks for all the feedback people and for now I shall refrain from nominating anymore pokestops, ingress portals or pikmin plants. They tend to be denied as I've had all sorts from Trail Markers to entrances to woods or play areas being marked as duplicate or just rejected rejected strange reasons despite them matching the criteria and not being a duplicate.

I'll also reject any memorial benches that I spot on Wayfarer unless I know of that person being a celebrity because otherwise it appears that they're a nobody.

• Nutronic-PGONutronic-PGO Posts: 26 ✭✭

Need more pokestops is not why I submitted this. The chances are this one would not have shown up in ingress or pokemon anyway due to its proximity to another stop.