Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Orienteering Markers? Good or bad? State your reasons and which criteria they fit or don't fit.

Are orienteering markers good waypoints? If you say yes, please explain what criterion they fit and why. If you say no, please explain why.

In their favour: they encourage outdoor activity and exploration.

Against them: they all look exactly the same. They are not "trail markers", nor part of a "named trail", so don't fit that criterion. By design there will be a bunch of them in a single park, with little to distinguish them visually except a number. They are meant to be navigated with a map and compass, which requires a bit of skill, not with a game which will lead you right to them. So in fact, having individual posts as waypoints in a game actually defeats their purpose!

Personally, I could envisage an orienteering course being a waypoint, but not every single post. Similar to how holes on a golf course cannot be individual waypoints. But I'd like to hear the opinions of the community, and of @NianticCasey-ING if possible.

Answers

• YouLostAStar-INGYouLostAStar-ING Posts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭

they aren’t trail markers and I would reject anyone trying to submit them as a trail marker.

i would accept 1 marker as a representation for the entire course (if submitter that way)

• TheAuraStorm-INGTheAuraStorm-ING Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I’m not a fan of them, the purpose of Orienteering is to find these point while following a map, not have your scanner direct you to them.

Since they aren’t trail markers. I don’t believe that they should be treated the same. I would accept one Wayspot for a whole course and any markers of a named trail that are within the course, but individual markers don’t seem to be appropriate.

I’m open to changing my view if there is an official Niantic ruling on them.

• onecino-INGonecino-ING Posts: 222 Ambassador

My local park has a trail of orienteering markers and on each there's a printed link to a website that provides both map and further information as to the orienteering trails in vicinity. I personally like them as they would allow to explore less urban areas and if sufficient amount of those would go live, a nice outdoorsy banner could be created.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,122 Ambassador

I would draw an analogy to disc golf. There's likely a more detailed sign at the start of the orienteering course that has details and information which could be considered educational and such a sign I would approve but each marker along the course isn't eligible on its own.