Nominations repeatetly rejected despite meeting acceptance criteria

Xmacke7x-INGXmacke7x-ING Posts: 220 ✭✭✭✭

What does Niantic plan to do about the fact that certain kind of nominations repeatetly getting rejected despite meeting acceptance criteria.

An example of nominations would be cycling trails in Germany. If you nominate cycling trails in Germany, they get rejected 99% of the time. Even though since the big change of the criteria they are eliglbe which has been clarified in one of the last AMAs and in different forum threads.

I bet you can find similar examples in most parts of the world.

Those wrongful rejections lead to unneccessary nominations because you have to nominate the wayspot again and again and again. This slows down the wayfarer process because the reviewers have to review the same nominations again.

27 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• TeamRocky15-PGOTeamRocky15-PGO Posts: 39 ✭✭

I absolutely agree with the author.

The relaxed criteria especially for hiking & biking trails do not interest many reviewers at all!

As a nominator in Germany it is currently very frustrating...

😑👎

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a difference between "eligible / meets acceptance criteria" and "must automatically be accepted as a Waypoint". Niantic have said the opinion of the local Wayfarer community is important in reviews, and in the multiple reviewers of things like Cyling Trail nominations in Germany don't think they should be accepted, then they won't be.

The rejection criteria "Does not meet eligibility criteria "Does not seem to be a great place of exploration, place for exercise, or place to be social. The object is mass-produced, generic, or not visually unique or interesting." covers a lot of stuff and allows for community opinions to be expressed.

• Xmacke7x-INGXmacke7x-ING Posts: 220 ✭✭✭✭

You so not seem to understand what that not a trail marker is nominated but the trail itself.

But your arguments even fail in German trail markers.

Either way those trail markers here are standardized. But this does not mean that they are mass produced. Infact because of the standardization they are all unique. You cannot put one trail marker on another point of the trail. If you do this the distances are wrong.

Of course they are visually unique. If they would not be visually unique, they would fail the purpose of a trail marker. Trail marker should help to stay on the trail. This means that they have to be seen very easily. That is Niantics definition of visually unique.

But If every Community can disagree with Niantics criteria. Why do we even have criteria at all? The criteria tells that trails are good wayspots. In one of the last Amas Niantic clarified that they have to be an anchor where those trails can be nominated. And they especially mentioned trail markers as good objects to nominate the trail at.

Reviewers like you are the problem who make up their own rules or just ignore the criteria because they do not like certain things. Some others think that there should not be to much POI in the database and reject things which would lead to a rise in the number of wayspots. Niantic should do something about this behaviour which leads to classes of wrongfully rejected nominations.

This leads to the question I asked in the first place. What does Niantic want to do about repeatedly wrongfully rejected nominations?

• Damastaglen-PGODamastaglen-PGO Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

I guess they’ve answered by letting you appeal to them directly, not to reviewers again.

The jury is still out, I guess on how well/quickly appeals will work as it’s a new feature so I’ll give them some time to streamline before I judge.