Disable all contribution features before completing the Wayfarer test

HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

From your older post dated November 3:

Please note that we’re also planning to change how new users get access to the in-game contribution features in Pokémon GO, to be gated by level and user orientation status, by sometime in January --> Once a player reaches eligibility in Pokémon GO, they’ll be asked to visit Wayfarer’s website to onboard. Their contribution features in-game will be enabled once they've gone through orientation and passed the training quiz. Otherwise they will remain disabled.

This is still in the works right? And it involves all contributions such as

• Edit Title
  • Add Photo
  • Scan PokeStop <- probably not this one
  • Edit Location
  • Add/Edit Description
  • Report Invalid PokéStop, and of course
  • New PokéStop/Portal nominations

I kid you not, most of the kids and those who don't care about the Wayfarer database who deface existing wayspots with photos of their feet (literally), make irrelevant title edits or submit things absolutely ineligible like a link to their YouTube channel or their television will not have passed the test and is likely not able to do so. The test will considerably stop people in their tracks from casually editing things just because they reached a high enough level to do so.

The requirement of passing the Wayfarer test before even being allowed to nominate could not come soon enough, but this should also involve all the contributions associated with such as well.

33 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will upvote but will also emphasize that no one should be "grandfathered" in just because they unlocked contributions prior to the exam requirement.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,129 Ambassador

The test is a joke anyways. You can do it every 15 minutes with no blocking to you re-attempting it and can redo it as many times as you want.

So, good idea if the test were implemented in a better way.

• msz21-INGmsz21-ING Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

@PkmnTrainerJ-ING You do realize this is a global test and that not everyone speaks or writes English well. Often times the translation of the English Language doesn't translate well to the local language and when attempting it in English for people that are not native speakers, they're trying to guess what certain words mean since no one else locally reviews and the only feedback they get are from the international community who can only help so much especially if its from a language that is less spoken.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,129 Ambassador

That’s down to Niantic to make it in other languages then.

As said, the test is easy and even if you fail it, you can keep trying with no drawbacks so you can eventually brute force your way through even if you have no idea what you’ve selected.

• Latzstar-PGOLatzstar-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭

This absolutely still needs to happen, would hopefully stop a lot of the junk coming through that has stopped people reviewing.

• Kruddel-PGOKruddel-PGO Posts: 26 ✭✭

Quite a few people have failed it locally (UK), at least the first time. I wouldn't say its brute forcing so much as needing to go away and relook at criteria, or have criteria to hand while doing it, both of which are at least somewhat encouraging awareness.

I guess the point is implementing the test in and of itself is likely to be a barrier to the casual spam edits and submissions. Some may give up when they need to actually jump a hurdle. But to those who do it, it at least demonstrates to newly eligible submitters that there IS a process - they may well think they just send it in the app and its going to be in game.

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even so... Sooooo many people came into the forum complaining they got locked out/banned when it was only the two strike system. Even though I (and I think most of us participating in Wayfarer reviews) thought it was easy.

It's going to weed out and deter people (the small children and uh... invalids?) They either wont bother to take the test to submit straight coal, or they will fail one or two times and give up OR maybe... Just MAYBE they might learn something about what actually is appropriate and eligible to submit.

And yes as @flatmatt-PGO said, PLEASE make it so anyone who has not taken the reviewers test HAS to take the submission test. No grandfathered junk. Worst case is you'll make some immature children upset that they cant submit pictures of their toes and garden gnomes anymore.