Fake Series of a Moving LFL in Northern Sydney and other random junk

13»

Comments

• WoodWose-PGOWoodWose-PGO Posts: 124 ✭✭✭✭

I just had this come through my queue. This haphazard graffiti has been painted on the same utility box that previously had the (now removed) "Don't Worry, Be Happy" Wayspot.

As in the past, the Ku-ring-gai council did not commission this mural and someone will have to waste their time removing it. The entire submission is based on a false premise.

Based on the supplied photosphere and the characteristic low quality of the graffiti, these are all coming out of the same submitter. Surely ongoing, persistent, and illegal damage to government property in the name of Niantic titles can be interpreted as violating section 3.3 of the Niantic Terms of Service:

You will not trespass, or in any manner attempt to gain or gain access to any property or location where you do not have a right or permission to be, and will not otherwise engage in any activity that may result in injury, ****, property damage, nuisance, or liability of any kind.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just asking, if the vandalism had gone through months, shouldn't the culprit a.k.a. the abuser got caught irl eventually?

Forget Niantic, I feel bad to the Council who had to cleaned all those mess made by the abuser claiming they're "commisioned by the Council". At this rate the Council might have to hunt down the culprit.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would definitely start to look for the nominator and report them to authorities. This is illegal, serial vandalism, and removing it is not free.

• ZinkyZonk-INGZinkyZonk-ING Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

Lol is this still going on? @HaramDingo-ING it's obviously a case of **** a mole.

Niantic knows who they are and where they live. Agents/trainers don't need to step in and take on the role. Please take care with your advice.

Your phrase indicated the you would 'look' for them and then report them. This is not the role of a citizen.

A good citizen reports things they see in their every day business.

But to look for a wrongdoer is vigilantism.

From a practical perspective The vandalism is occurring in public spaces how would a player catch them?

This is between Niantic, the vandal and the council and the police if needed.

Niantic players should only report bad poi ... no confrontation or even looking for wrongdoers is required.

But the council are being trolled by this abuser, in real life. Shouldn't this abuser to be reported to authorities for his real-life vandalism?

"Abuser" is a strong term .... This serial poi faker clearly has issues.

If I were to see them at it of course I would report it .... But will not say I would look for them. That is not my role.

The council has people employed to clean stuff up ....( I call them all the time path needs clearing from fallen tree, bottle glass smashed on the path at the park, rubbish dumped... Yadayada ) This faking is really awful from our perspective. But it's not "trolling" the council. Council deals with all sorts of people. They would not consider this as problematic as you think.

But it makes my nominator heart boil that they would fake POIs ... The playing on causes dear to our hearts BLM, Trans rites etc is particularly badform.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Every point in that response is factually incorrect, off-base, or a dishonest misinterpretation of the prior posts.

It is the role of a citizen to report illegal activity, and especially if that citizen is in a unique position to identify the wrongdoer in question, and pass that information to the authorities.

Reporting illegal activities to the authorities is not vigilantism.

This is not between Niantic and the authorities. Everybody in that community is being impacted, if not by the unsightly vandalism, then by the cost of their tax money going to remove it. Niantic, for their part, has abjectly failed to care, despite the fact that it has been thoroughly and accurately reported to them. It is now time for someone else to do their civic duty.

Nobody said anything about “confrontation,” and you are incorrect that Wayfarers should only report bad POI; perhaps in their capacity as Wayfarers that is correct, but in their capacity as citizen, that is the opposite of what they should do.

Are you Australian @X0bai-PGO ?

@X0bai-PGO let's focus on what we do agree on which is this fake poi stuff is awful.

I wish I knew what Niantic considers a tolerant level of fake ... For me it's no level of fake ....but there's so much that has been faked....or miss located ...might be logistically impossible to correct it all.

Looks like the OP leaves some hints about the abuser, isn't it?

The abuser might took back his LFL and the vandalism have been either cleaned or faded away, but those fake photospheres are still exist! That alone allowed him to resubmit his fakes without having to set up the fakes irl again.

What's more interesting that the abuser (or, two accounts of him) have also vandalized Google Maps with his fake photospheres:

And see that Ninetales? Even if @WoodWose-PGO provided the proof that painting is faded away, the fake photosphere showing its fresh form is still there.

The abuser need not only banned from Niantic games, but also his Google account suspended or terminated.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must report that to google, they don't read this forum. And usually Google is quite good at removing bad data whenever it is reported.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It pains me to see:

- Fan Inn is approved after loads of spam nominations of this and seeing YET ANOTHER nomination of the same spammed nomination.

- The Alphabetical Tile Mural has been approved, and yet I'm reviewing it again?!

Reviewers are caving in. I'm seeing these nominations over and over and over again when they're already in the dupe list. That or he's starting to game the system by brute-forcing his nomination with numerous accounts. When you see the exact same nomination across several months spammed over and over again, reviewers give up and let things slide.

I have tried to contact the Council to address this issue and even try to report it as graffiti but they would not have a word of it. I am going to escalate this further after that dumb 'Non Binary Pride Mural' which was painted on a box that was previously cleaned as another fake wayspot.

But as for dealing with this abuse on Wayfarer, I am now copping disagreements for constantly rejecting each iteration as fake or temp or anything of the sort, as they are all slipping past tired reviewers who are either sick of this spam or unaware.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

I must have gotten myself on Google's ignore list, then. 😂 I've reported multiple instances of issues with their own Street View imagery (not photospheres) being either in the wrong location or being sideways, plus instances of individual park features being added to the map as separate parks, and much of it has yet to be corrected.

Post edited by flatmatt-PGO on
  • Tntnnbltn-INGTntnnbltn-ING Posts: 804 Ambassador

@HaramDingo-ING Maybe use Snap Send Solve to report the graffiti? If it’s on traffic control boxes, NBN infrastructure, etc. then I think the graffiti report goes straight to the responsible property owner, not through the council.

Snap Send Solve is very convenient when I'm reporting instances in my local area. The snapping aspect usually expects me to be at the location to take a photo of it with a geocode I believe? Unless I end up using the main photos in the abuser's nominations to add them into each report then this might be a possibility.

Please note that graffiti on public property is managed by local councils

We know nothing is going to be done about this until Niantic ramps up their consequences for abusers.

But I'm willing to let this all go. I can't win. We can't stamp out this abuse. I'd rather try focusing all my energy for a company or a team that will not work against me and give me lip service when the abuser remains at large and is actually getting their abusive spam nominations approved.

I'm ashamed to be a Wayfinder. I would rather be dead now.

@NianticGiffard this abuser is back to painting random objects around Turramurra and surrounds. He is faking a photosphere that suspends objects in time when this will very much fade out in a matter of weeks (like everything else he has submitted), and look at that Flame of Ninetails in the duplicates section, revolting.

In fact, the object painted in question is not even a manhole. It is a FIRE HYDRANT. I heavily doubt that the council will commission artworks that will obstruct emergency services.

Why don't you strike down this abuser once and for all, and destroy his Pokemon GO account? Before he starts to graffiti the rest of the suburb? That would teach him a lesson.

I have rejected this for probably the TWENTIETH TIME in a row or even more, and I'm not even bothered to count anymore. The first time on August 9. It is now September 29.

You have done absolutely nothing Niantic. You know how this vandaliser just randomly paints things and this thread shows that his **** fades out within days or weeks. You see that little Ninetails in the check for duplicates screens?

Reviewers are sick of this ugly spammer. I'm going to tag all of you Niantic staff because your apathy sickens me. Should I approve this instead? Don't reply for yes.

@NianticTintino @NianticAaron @NianticOtoStar