Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Encountered Wayspot: Sports Pitch Within Grounds of Police Headquarters

AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Came across this Wayspot today, located at the marker at the link:

Ingress Intel Map:

For those who don't have an Ingress account:

It's at the police headquarters, and is probably also used by the nearby police training college too. I know why it was submitted (but not by whom): to turn the nearby Church into a gym in Pokémon GO. Thankfully, it wasn't the sports pitch that got turned into a gym. I must stress: the Wayspot does not block the emergency vehicles as it is in the middle of a field.

I posted about it in local group and was told: as long as it's accessible to somebody it can be accepted as a Wayspot; the Wayspot doesn't have to be accessible to all people all of the time.

I'm thinking to myself: but only employees of the police force and their visitors can access this Wayspot. I don't want to have anybody give any Niantic games a bad reputation because people are trespassing on police property. Thinking in terms of Ingress, wouldn't that potentially give one faction an unfair advantage if somebody from one faction was employed by the police?

Unlike a venue that one has to pay for or for the sports pitch of a sports club you have to be a member of, this Wayspot cannot reasonably be accessed by members of the general public. I'll admit I poked my camera through a fence to submit the pitch at a local Rugby club whilst it was closed due to the virus (I used Ingress to make sure that pitch wasn't turned into the new gym), but this seems different. For the Rugby club, it's a venue that many people will have access to because they cam simply pay membership fees to join it (or go and watch somebody who is playing).

Should I request for this Wayspot to be removed or not? And if so, the Church will remain a gym, I assume? I don't want to go making enemies.

It's not as though it's what Wayspot poor of an area. The police headquarters has a lovely ornate clock tower atop it which I would love to be able to submit but I fear it wouldn't be a good idea to do so. I don't believe it would block emergency vehicles.

Best Answer

• Jasonwhut-INGJasonwhut-ING Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

We aren't supposed to consider player behavior except for things that are within 40 meters of a single family property. Pretty much anything can encourage trespassing, like sneaking into the zoo at night. We can have Wayspots at island lighthouses, we hope people will be safe getting there, we don't reject because they might not.

Answers

• Jasonwhut-INGJasonwhut-ING Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Answer ✓

We aren't supposed to consider player behavior except for things that are within 40 meters of a single family property. Pretty much anything can encourage trespassing, like sneaking into the zoo at night. We can have Wayspots at island lighthouses, we hope people will be safe getting there, we don't reject because they might not.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Yes, I suppose if it ever does bother the police, they can request for it themselves to be removed. Judging by the image, it's obvious the person submitting it didn't trespass. Though I also feel they gave it a bit of a misleading title in order to give it more chance of being accepted; I have a hunch that "Football Pitch At Police Headquarters" isn't likely to be accepted.