Submissions getting nonsene rejections

Hi,

I recently got LVL 38 in PokemonGo an tried to submit some new POIs.

One of them being a trailmarker which got rejected "for being seasonal". I appealed this one to niantic, but so far didn't get a decision. I don't know if people are really looking at the submissions they rate, but my most recent rejection is even crazier.

I submitted a well known restaurant in Graz (Gasthaus Kehlberghof) which got rejcted for being an "inappropriate place" and "other rejection reasons".

I don't know what people are thinking when they review a submission. Or is the theory, that there are many bots ins Germany ans Austria true?

If a well known gourmet restaurant with fantastic food and a great view over Graz isn't accepted I don't know what else could be the case. There is a safe location to play with plenty of room. It is historically relevant and important to the local community. The building itself is unique and it is a great place to meet people and socialize. I even linked the homepage of the restaurant in the supporting informations for reviewers to visit and verify the submission. But even Google Maps alone shows the place clearly.

Comments

• jaimelee81-PGOjaimelee81-PGO Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

You say it's important to the local community but you used an upgrade on it? Next time keep it local. The trail maker may have looked temporary which is also in the "seasonal" rejection.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that these rejection reasons make no sense on their face.

That said, they are more or less what I would expect. “Seasonal” is also “temporary,” as noted.

”Location inappropriate” is a commonly used by reviewers to say ‘this is not a good place for a POI.’ “Other rejection reason” is accurately interpreted “does not meet criteria,” and both rejection reasons are common for many businesses.

If you want to get a restaurant approved you’ll probably need to link to external review sites and awards it has won to prove that it’s special, noteworthy, and popular. If you want to nominate the building for it’s historic/architectural value, that’s a completely different nomination from the restaurant inside it, and your text should support that.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is quite common to get oddball rejection reasons. We don't quite know why but it's probably a combination of reviewers misclicking, reviewers deliberately choosing random reasons, and Niantic' email generator being bad at picking reasons. It's fairly typical for the rejections themselves to be correct but the reasons to include some weird ones.

Some things require the submitter to do more work presenting them in order to convince reviewers to approve them. Here's something I wrote a while ago about how to create submissions that are more likely to get approved: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/9890/how-to-submit-things-that-get-accepted

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding of the bots, it is unlikely that your nomination was reviewed by the bots, since your location doesn't in-range within affected area. More details below:

And back to your nomination, you have to sell its value to the reviewers. Simply drop its website link in supporting information doesn't enough, to be honest.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭

To add to what has been said, there used to be a "Generic Business" rejection reason. That has been removed, but it is still very hard to get reviewers to accept a business. And when you upgrade, you get a wider pool of reviewers who are not local, so you really have to prove that this is a special, unique place beloved by the community. Remember the three acceptance criteria are a place to exercise, explore, and/or be social, and address the criteria that fit in your submission.

There is also a lot of reluctance to approve trail markers in parts of the world. They go through fairly easily here in the US, but you may need to prove it is a permanent marker. If it can't be seen on satellite or street view, sometimes adding your own photosphere can help reviewers see the placement. The Google "Street View" app is pretty easy to use - this little old lady can do it.

• crkf91-PGOcrkf91-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭

Thanks for the recommendations. I will try to resubmit the submissions and include more information in the description.

I actually only used the upgrade, because ortherwise it takes forever for a submission to get from the queue to the voting stage.

It probably would be better if people familiar with the area rate this kind of submissions.