Instagram tag in description allowed?

cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love to get an official Niantic statement on this.

Tagged:

Comments

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree with you - no tags is in criteria - but was having a discussion that the Instagram tag IS the artist's signature now, especially on murals, so I wanted a ruling.

• Hi there, @cyndiepooh-ING! We have reviewed the report and have made necessary changes to the Wayspot and have taken action on the Wayfinder in accordance with our policies. Thanks for helping us maintain the quality of the Wayspots.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with others saying that this is too severe. Is it an ineligible description? Yes, sure, "no tags" is in the criteria (a bit hidden, but it is there).

But I don't think anyone would argue that this is abusive or malicious. I consider this to be equivalent to having a license plate or a watermark in the main photo. An honest mistake.

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Um - does that mean that Instagram tags are not allowed?

Or does that mean no action was needed?

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what should have happened, for sure. Unfortunately, most probably it's the standard message that says Niantic "have confirmed that you have been submitting nominations that do not meet criteria" and treatening the suspension of Wayfarer and game accounts, without telling them any details whatsoever about what they did wrong.

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

I believe this was possibly a misunderstanding on Niantics part. @NianticGiffard. I believe this could have more easily just been edited possibly to not include the artists instagram tag? Should we edit these or have them removed & resubmitted? I’ve always assumed it to be easier to edit these & I assume OP who submitted may have not known this was in violation of ToS. It may possibly be better to just send out a warning to them that they have broken ToS & that this is a violation. I find it harsh to punish someone especially if they could have done this on accident, or if it were submitted years ago. This isn’t my submission & I would never add a tag like that to my description because I know better but I also find it harsh to punish someone for making a minor mistake. If we give out a warning sent to their email that also could possibly show on the Niantic Wayfarer contributions page through the website, users could possibly learn about their mistakes. I see this as an easy honest mistake & also an easy mistake to be edited by those of us who are veterans of this process anyways

Post edited by TheZodiac007-PGO on
  • ArabellaArdelia-PGOArabellaArdelia-PGO Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

@NianticGiffard I know criteria guidelines encourage us to put the official title of a piece if known; I have always assumed based on the criteria that Niantic would also prefer us to give the artist's name if known in cases where the object is an art piece. So if the artist themselves signs the piece with their Instagram handle (as many artists do), how is including that in the nomination something that is worthy of a warning?

• Sunlitgarden-INGSunlitgarden-ING Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

I agree that "action" is extreme and hopefully a misunderstanding. I was just discussing this with some folks regarding a mural I was submitting, where the artist's full name is available online, but she signed the work with her @ instagram handle. I ended up going with "Name, also known as xyz on Instagram" but had the @ tag in there at first. That's literally how the mural was signed! I can't see why that would need to be something to punish.

• ArabellaArdelia-PGOArabellaArdelia-PGO Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

@NianticGiffard following up, I was able to see that the "action" was to remove the artist's Instagram handle altogether.... this feels extremely disrespectful to me, as when I look up their given name I see a few murals but in order to find this mural I had to check Instagram. So having the tag in the description is giving proper artist credit, and removing it is failing to attribute the mural properly in the way that the artist themselves wants to be recognized. Can you please fix it back to the way it was submitted?

• Just adding my voice to the chorus, I agree it's extreme to take punitive action against a nominator who credits an artist in the exact manner they signed their artwork.

• MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Social media handles are not allowed. People could always look up the artist by name and find their Instagram account that way.

• Sunkast-PGOSunkast-PGO Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

I couldn't agree more, and second the request to reverse this action.

I have had the pleasure of meeting several artists over the years who paint murals. While I happen to know their real name, often times they sign their work with a tag or pseudonym. These tags are part of their brand and identity. Some of these murals take several days to complete depending how large or complex they are. Knowing how much time and technique goes into the process of painting a mural it is very disrespectful to not credit the artist.

I consider myself to be an artist as well. If someone were to post a photo of my work without crediting me, I would be quite unhappy about it. One of my biggest pet peeves when reviewing a nomination for a mural is when the submitter does not credit the artist. Especially when the work is very clearly signed. Always take the time to credit the artist.

I also feel that removing an artist's tag goes against one of Niantic's fundamental goals of getting outside and promoting exploring. If a wayspot has the artist's tag in it that I can look up, I can see more of their work and possibly make time to go see the work in person. Many artists are more well known by their tag than their real name. If an artist named John Smith goes by the tag abstractjohn, searching for their real name may not lead me to them, but searching their tag would.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whilst I am still of the opinion that the artist's proper name without the Instagram tag is more appropriate for the submission (and I feel the change is justified if the tag was removed whilst keeping the name, as the artist is still credited that way, which is as it should be), I do agree with others that taking action against the nominator for this feels heavy handed, especially when you have seasoned wayfarers on this forum who weren't entirely sure of the proper way to handle this.

• Stephyypooke-INGStephyypooke-ING Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

I echo all of the questions raised above. Are we not allowed to reference artist’s real names? On the Help page under the Reviewing a Wayspot Nomination section it says:

Give high ratings to: Titles and descriptions that include the artist’s name (for murals, statues, etc.)

If the artist signs the mural with their “@“ wouldn’t including it on the description just be crediting them for their work?

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

My view is this.

Credit should be given to the person who made the artwork, if they signed it, be that their name, their alias, or an @, it should be included in the description since that is official and ON the art.

In the case of the original post, Leaving it at "Mural of Shelley Duval by Cheyenne Randall" is fine. (@IndianGiver on Instagram) is... not so great. MAYBE just (@IndianGiver), but since its not on the mural itself and the name of the artist is already credited IDK how I feel about throwing the @tag out **** nilly when its not on the original piece.

Just trying to think of what Niantic is thinking. But since the @name is now what most artists do for their signature now... Its inevitable you're going to have MANY murals with this format. I'd just say leave the "on instagram, on twitter, on facebook" off.

• Sunlitgarden-INGSunlitgarden-ING Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Exactly! It is completely ridiculous and absurd to think that a description of an artwork should not include the artist's name. Your (@NianticGiffard) second post makes it sound like we shouldn't mention artist names at all.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that's your interpretation, then the original "Mona Lisa" which now resides at Louvre Museum (just an example, I didn't know if it becomes a real Wayspot or not) , should not be allowed if the description contains "...painted by Leonardo da Vinci". Is that so?

Or, could you elaborate more?

• NianticGiffardNianticGiffard Posts: 9,164 admin
    edited February 2022

Whoops, I see this thread blew up after my comment!

Let me clarify the common query as I can see in the comments. Official title/artist's names in the description are fine (as even shared as a screenshot by @Roli112-PGO). But mentioning or tagging other accounts in the title/description are not allowed. I apologize for the confusion there.

That being said, we took action on the Wayfinder depending on the abuses done.

Post edited by NianticGiffard on
  • sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, just to be really, really sure:

"Artwork painted by Mr Spraypaint" = acceptable ?

"Artwork painted by @MrSpraypaint" = not acceptable ?