Scout Hut Clarification

HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scout huts have long been considered to be under the K-12 umbrella in the past, with Casey stating that they'd be ineligible if the hut was primarily used for scout activities.

Recently I attempted to get a local wayspot at a scout hut removed due to my understanding that this was still the case. However, @NianticVK declined my request stating that it doesn't meet the removal criteria. I know that Niantic don't always get things right the first time around, but I was inspired to create this post due to a new tweet by Niantic.

Given my prior experience on the forum, and the fact that Niantic have now partnered with Scouts UK, including specifically mentioning the link to exploration in the tweet, it leaves me wondering if the Wayfarer criteria would now consider scout huts to be acceptable wayspot candidates?

@NianticTintino @NianticGiffard do you have any insight to offer on this subject?

Tagged:

Comments

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Until Niantic actually say "Yes" to Scout huts in the UK, and by extension Guides, Brownies, Air Cadets, Sea Scouts, ATC and Boys Brigade, and that comment makes it to the official criteria, then it's still K-12 for all of them for me.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't disagree there. I'm still using those guidelines. I just thought it was worth asking about given the circumstances :)

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for raising this it would be good to get some Niantic input.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

That badge is for the scouts to wear. Do private businesses often host UK scout badges?

Irrelevant to the wayspot question, but I'm curious how common that is. Is there a Google Scout badge? United Airlines? Nabisco? Marmite? Are the children walking billboards?

The answer is Yes - this is not the first "sponsored" badge for UK Scouts and / or Guides.

Wow.

But I can't see the correlation:

Niantic trying to get scouts to get out and explore (and use their product) --> therefore private scout buildings should have strangers hanging around.

It's still creepy. And leaders are still trained to call the police if suspicious strangers are hanging around.

Scout buildings can have other people around all the time.

The closet one to me is next to a takeaway fish and chip shop. So it is a place where people stand around. They tend to stand outside the scout hut as the other buildings around are houses.

Another which is a Guide and scout hut is in a park next to a cafe, with several info boards. So people again hang around, walk past It is so close there is no way it would be in either game.

So it’s not necessarily about people being near, presumably it’s just that it used by under 18s. And none of it is creepy

i’m curious about what Niantic would say with this badge - game link, until anything to contrary is said obviously the blanket refusal stays in place.

The blanket ban has to stay for all the appropriate reasons "K-12" sites are not eligible to be Waypoints. It's hard enough sometimes to get the K-12 category understood, particularly when it is clear that a significant number of submitters have either not read and understood or have just ignored the criteria and nominated the local primary school or Scout hut - the "Ohh look - a sign - must nominate it 'help the community grow, lots of footfall and children gather here' " type posts.

Now add the potential confusion of "Scout Huts in the UK only are no longer considered to be K-12 sites, but this still applies to Guides and Air Cadets and other current K-12 sites in the UK" and see how many more arguments and complaints and non-eligible nominations are generated worldwide.

@Elijustrying-ING So nominate the bait shop or the park cafe. The Scout huts are for children (k-12) and are not eligible.

A rare Scout hut having proximity to something else - doesn't change the fact that the hut itself is not a valid wayspot.

I’ve not said that scout huts are valid at all.

I’ve simply given examples to illustrate that people gathering outside one is not the reason. Being K12 is.

I also think it would cause confusion, to have an U.K. only exemption.

However as @HankWolfman-PGO has raised, there is now currently a bit of an odd situation ( which his original post describes well) and it would be useful to know a little more.