Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Telephone Kiosk Defibrillators

I was wondering what the guidance is on the old telephone kiosks that are now used to house defibrillators? Especially ones in small villages with very few to no players at all. See photo of the K6 model below for an example.

As I understand it, in order to use the defibrillator, you need to contact 999 for an access code (I could be wrong on this), so no paramedics involved as such.

Best Answers

• Faversham71-INGFaversham71-ING Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

There's around 5000 K6 boxes left in the UK, down from 7000 in 2017 with further removals planned. A large proportion of these are in London. Some parts of the UK have very few left - there are none in the town I live in or the surrounding villages, even my nearest city only has half a dozen (thankfully now listed for their historic importance) - following BT's successive culls they're no longer a common sight. Whether a 1930's telephone box in itself has a cultural and social historic significance is open to debate, but in general Historic England will list those submitted believing they do. Some players will no doubt question the official bodies decisions - I won't get into that debate.

I don't think defibrillators in themselves have any merit as a POI.

As to those now housing a defibrillator - it would be a very peculiarly placed box that would block access from emergency vehicles, and they're not designed for use by emergency services. I'm not convinced a small group of people gathered nearby would seriously impede pedestrian access any more than people standing on the seafront of pier would be likely to block access to a lifebuoy. A gathering of people at any location if not carried out with due consideration for allowing people past could impede someone doing something important.

Answers

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

There isn't any specific guidance by Niantic about defribrillator booths, however I think it would fall under "obstructing emergency services" rejection category. Considering it is a life saving device and you'd need to cal 999 to access it.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless there is something historically significant about that particular booth, it is not eligible.

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheFarix-PGO Don't even go there, you think people who go on about Post boxes are bad, wait till you get the ones who love Phone Booths.

There's a reason why us Brits are parodied as eccentric hobbyist with strange obsessions and its depressingly true occasionally

• Dice3423-INGDice3423-ING Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

Old Actual Telephone Booths would be antiques and could be considered historical to me though. They are a dying bread of technology that is barely used around the world.

• Faversham71-INGFaversham71-ING Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

There's around 5000 K6 boxes left in the UK, down from 7000 in 2017 with further removals planned. A large proportion of these are in London. Some parts of the UK have very few left - there are none in the town I live in or the surrounding villages, even my nearest city only has half a dozen (thankfully now listed for their historic importance) - following BT's successive culls they're no longer a common sight. Whether a 1930's telephone box in itself has a cultural and social historic significance is open to debate, but in general Historic England will list those submitted believing they do. Some players will no doubt question the official bodies decisions - I won't get into that debate.

I don't think defibrillators in themselves have any merit as a POI.

As to those now housing a defibrillator - it would be a very peculiarly placed box that would block access from emergency vehicles, and they're not designed for use by emergency services. I'm not convinced a small group of people gathered nearby would seriously impede pedestrian access any more than people standing on the seafront of pier would be likely to block access to a lifebuoy. A gathering of people at any location if not carried out with due consideration for allowing people past could impede someone doing something important.