What percentage of your Niantic Wayspot nominations get rejected for the STUPIDEST reasons??

Comments

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only one. And I prefer to renominate it again instead to appeal.

Have fun with the appeals, you should know how slooooooooooooooooooooooooow it is.

• MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never had one of my nominations rejected.

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering the same thing. When you submit a lot it’s not hard to have one or two denied here & there because you have to put more work into descriptions & supporting infos

• MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

14 so far. Unless I come across something really good in a part of town I am not in often I won't nominate again until spring as getting decent photos is hard with snow and less daylight so I won't know if my streak will hold.

I am very thorough and so far I have only submitted public art with locations that can be easily verified by Google maps and the photo of the surrounding area or buildings with distinctive architecture on the National Registry of Historic Places (with documentation in the supporting information).

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a great streak. It’s the same here with the snow where I live in Indiana. I submit when I can. I like to submit nominations with snow sometimes for fun 🤩 It’s not fun to drive in though. Don’t be afraid to have things get denied. It happens. When it happens don’t let it eat at you. Especially now that you can appeal. Above all 14 in a row means one thing. You are doing a great job!

• Telbourn-PGOTelbourn-PGO Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

And now just clogging up the appeal process even further.

• Angeljho-PGOAngeljho-PGO Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

I've only ever had one nomination rejected for what I feel are stupid reasons, but on that particular nomination I was aware it would be difficult to convince the reviewing community of it's value so I also understand it.

With every other rejection I've had, even if it was on an eligible location, I believe the rejections were fair due to my nominations being poor.

It may very well be that your nominations weren't rejected for stupid reasons, even if they are on eligible locations. Feel free to post more information on the nominations here and I'm sure the people here can give you advice on which ones can be improved and which ones are a lost cause.

• VladDraco-PGOVladDraco-PGO Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

The only time I had, in the past, things rejected, it was because it was stupid things or because I drawn my own nominations by stupid picture or bad description.

I've learned a lot (mostly in this forum, thank you girls and guys !) so now each nomination is an automatic pass.

• ElwynGreygoose-INGElwynGreygoose-ING Posts: 244 ✭✭✭✭

All my nominations are now automatic passes unless I nominate a rural cafe, or a sticker type of trail marker. So I just don't bother with those any more.

Yes there's been a lot to learn from the various forums.

• ExPlatypus35z-PGOExPlatypus35z-PGO Posts: 23 ✭✭

I get a lot rejected and the ones that annoy me are things like baseball fields with the reason being not historically significant. They promote outdoor recreation they’re good stops.

• Xaerfaal-PGOXaerfaal-PGO Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

The coffee shop isn't a darned Starbucks. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Same with the Mexican restaurant, it isn't Chipotle or something. I think it's fine.

Doesn't matter how good someone thinks their location is. They live there. There shouldn't be anything wrong with improving the area in which you live. Yes, provided there is enough acceptable material and not in the middle of nowhere.

• VladDraco-PGOVladDraco-PGO Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭

A bar or restaurant which you think "Nothing wrong" or "It's fine" doesn't sound like it's a good nomination.

We are reviewing Points of Interest.

It has been clarified many times that places which are important for the local community can be good Waypoint.

And it's to the submitter to provide informations on that point on the description and supporting text.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rejection criterion states "A generic business, chain, or franchise that is not locally unique". That can apply to any business if the nominator puts no effort into the nomination. That criterion isn't limited to only chains and franchises.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rejection reason doesn't matter. That's an add-on feature that Niantic never cared much about. Don't waste emotions on the reject reasons. Improve your nominations instead - or appeal, whichever is faster for you.

In 2020, I nominated 37 wayspots. Status: 32 accepted, 2 duplicate, 2 rejected (one correct, one appealed), 1 still in queue. So. in 2020 I had 1/36th incorrectly rejected = 3%.

Since Sept 2017, I made 418 nominations: 22% rejected when they shouldn't be.

303 waypoints accepted, 115 rejected. ( 27%).

21 of the rejections are correct. (For one thing, in 2017 we didn't have criteria. I thought charities, blood banks, humane societies, etc would make good wayspots.)

The remaining 94 rejections (22% of total) were incorrect.

13 times I got a rejection and resubmitted the same place, which was then accepted.

But with a 9-month wait OR needing to earn an upgrade for EVERY nomination, (a) my enthusiasm was dead by the time I got the first rejection, plus (b) nomination slots were limited, and it didn't seem worth it to wait/work for something that is likely to get rejected again.

• Angeljho-PGOAngeljho-PGO Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

Today I nominated some statues outside of a restaurant where I provided proof that the restaurant had been at said location for 40 years and provided proof that the statues I was nominating had been at said restaurant since at least 2008. It got rejected as "temporary/seasonal display".

It's so demotivating. It really makes me wonder why I try with my nominations when reviewers don't even bother to read them.

• I routinely have to submit a stop more than once or twice to get it approved. And I even routinely post website links to shore up the locations, details, etc. I have a park that I've submitted four or five times now and it still hasn't been accepted. But I keep submitting it anyway. I had a pool room declined as a "fake nomination". That was a new one. I've had these giant lighted palm trees at a local business declined as a "natural feature". I've had a historical display in a local courthouse declined as "K-12" when there is no school anywhere around. Some people just don't take the time to read the entries. Just resubmit those you think are good. I will say generic businesses just aren't going to get approved. We can't get Starbucks places approved anymore and they are sponsors.

Also a note, I'm not throwing Upgrades as something special anymore. They seem to get declined at a higher percentage than regular entries.

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

We can't get Starbucks places approved anymore and they are sponsors.

In almost all cases, Starbucks locations will be correctly rejected through Wayfarer and they were never widely approved through Wayfarer or OPR (the Wayfarer predecessor). Almost all Starbucks in PoGo are, as you say, sponsored and came in through a completely different channel and don't appear in other games.

I guess I'm lucky; the vast majority of my rejections are for "doesn't meet criteria" (past) or "other rejection criteria" (recent) with a sprinkling of other reasons, some more logical than others. I rarely get the truly outlandish reasons, and when I do, I tend to view them as outliers to be ignored. 15 out of my last 20 (75%) had "other rejection criteria" as a reason (sometimes coupled with another reason). The others had reasons I could at least sort of understand, even if I didn't necessarily agree with them.

I'd personally argue that the ORC rejections do meet the criteria, otherwise I wouldn't have submitted them, of course, and several have been accepted upon resubmission. Some should have been accepted without question, but others were weaker or borderline candidates, and I can understand why many reviewers could feel differently about those. In each case, before resubmitting, I try to look carefully at the submission and figure out what about it might have given the reviewers pause.

Most of my rejections aren't egregious and it's better for my sanity to take the position that there's something I could improve upon when I resubmit than that the reviewers are all idiots and trolls instead of largely decent folks acting in good faith whom I have haven't yet been able to convince.

• And I'm okay with that. It IS a generic business. But until you start submitting and grading Wayfarer, there's no way to learn that ahead of time and people starting out don't understand why some are and some aren't. That was my position starting out too.

• I don't think anyone's a troll or an idiot. Some people just rush through and have knee-**** reactions to certain things. I get it. There are times when I'll review a submission and the pin drop is in someone's apartment or business. The quick reaction is to decline it. But if I zoom out of it, sometimes it actually IS at the submission. I've put a note on the entry that if one zooms out, the pin IS at the submission site. I've noticed on things I've submitted, when I've looked at it later, the pin wasn't exactly where it was when I submitted it.

Yes, I can understand how confusing that is for many people -- in the US we've all seen so many "All the other Starbucks are stops, so please make this one, too" supporting statements. Maybe that's something that should be added to the "Tweet This" thread if it hasn't been already.

I don't think anyone's a troll or an idiot.

Sorry; I didn't mean to imply that you did! I was more responding to the original post in that comment in general and alluding to the fact that a lot people on this forum do call reviewers who reject their submissions trolls and idiots. (I have zero doubt that there are plenty of trollish and idiotic reviewers out there, but I do not believe that everybody who rejections my submissions falls into those categories and I suspect that most don't. I do believe that many reviewers aren't fully informed about the guidelines and agree that probably too many rush through things. Overall, though, my belief is that the system works pretty well, or at least better than any other affordable system would.

• exculcator-INGexculcator-ING Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

While I have no doubt some reviewers are trolls or idiots, I too agree that they can't all be, and yet! ...it is still possible to get some really stupid rejections.

I just 5 minutes ago had a statue get a K-12 rejection, despite me clearly stating that school behind the statue concerned closed in 2016, and now serves as the local community centre (which can of course be verified extremely simply, not least by e.g. bothering to look at the map location, where Google maps clearly says "Local District Office" and not "school!").

So to reject this as being located on a school means you have to go beyond being merely lazy or something. You have to look at the description, and say "No, I don't believe that" and then look at the map and say "No, I don't believe that either".

• CiscoPlayz00-PGOCiscoPlayz00-PGO Posts: 61 ✭✭

They may not all be for stupid reasons but all my 15 nominations have been declined

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,608 Ambassador

Your understanding of the mural is wrong. Based on the title, the location is a doctor's office. The fact that the mural is supposed to appeal to kids does not make it K-12. A doctor's office definitely doesn't fall under K-12. Parents do not surrender their children to the doctor and leave. They will be with their kids the whole time, even more so than they would at a typical playground.