I AM DONE - reviewers as bad as never before

13»

Comments

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

Why were they reviewing? This will determine what results you get from a reviewer. They doing at speed. They see the word Fire. They say no. There is little analysis of what the nominator wrote.

I agree with you. I would accept this. Because - I have used many a fire trail for exactly that. Hiking, biking and horse riding. So the key is in the evidence it is used as hiking, bike, horse trail is critical. Particularly If you are an urban person who is reviewing - who really only ""goes"" to the country as a means to transit somewhere . They don't use the country side as a place to be or go to get out in. Then why would they know. These are not people who use fire trails. So in their speed to get things done, to get to their medal, to get their friends nominations through etc then they use key words.

@AeriTheBOFH-PGO As for information board - I will disagree - based on semantics - so please run with me for a bit ;-) - the issue is the words culturally significant. .....

These words can have very specific meanings and can be interpreted as such...... So when I hear those words - I will ask - for this object/place to be actually really culturally significant - is it of an aesthetic, architectural, historical, scientific, social, spiritual, linguistic or technological value or significance??

What helps me are definitions such as the one from ICOMOS https://www.icomos.org/ (which is used by governments, heritage bodies etc)

Cultural significance means aesthetic, historic, scientific, social or spiritual value for past, present or future generations. Cultural significance is embodied in the place itself, its fabric, setting, use, associations, meanings, records, related places and related objects. Places may have a range of values for different individuals or groups.

Then there is the English language perspective

Significant generally means ""A significant amount or effect is large enough to be important or affect a situation to a noticeable degree" - how does the board meet this? -

Cultural generally means being ""of or relating to artistic or social pursuits or events considered to be valuable or enlightened --- relating to a culture or civilization."" - how does the board meet this?

Prove the information board meets the above then you all good. Otherwise I would not accept it.

Semantics hey :-)

Post edited by rufoushumming-PGO on