Capitalization

I believe not using proper grammer or punctuation will (rightly) get a nomination rejected, but what about nominations lacking any capitalization at all? Should I be rejecting those as well?

(I've given 2 such cases a 2-star rating and added comments, but I figured I should probably check with the community as well.)

Comments

• Quartzleo-PGOQuartzleo-PGO Posts: 38 Ambassador

When it comes to reviewing submissions its suggested to only reject because if inappropriate or irrelevant text in the title or description, like @exculcator-ING says its best to just vote accordingly to the quality of the text. If a user is attempting to mislead reviewers often the submission is misplaced or fits some other rejection criteria.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

When PokeMonGo was new, and all over the news, it did get bad press for stops and gyms with poor grammar and capitalization. Each town's newspaper's staff just had to open the game and look around a bit to find a local example.

Still, I only dock a star or two for it. BUT I submit grammar edits when I see it "in the wild".

I only bother with edits for capitalization if it's a proper name. Saying "trinity lutheran church" is incorrect and disrespectful. Saying "big fountain in the square" is casual, so close enough.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

An error in the title/description can be done at any time after the wayspot has been approved, requering that everything is perfect in order to approve a nomination is not what Niantic wants

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

For me, part of it is the location. Is it in the middle of nowhere with few stops around or is it packed and they aren't hurting for gameplay? Is it really my intent to make someone spend more time and effort to re-submit in a process which could take months to years? Is that the kind of penalty the mistake is worth?

I try to give the benefit of the doubt and be reasonably lenient. Sure, I roll my eyes at the "lazy" submissions, but these could also be kids or people who don't have any idea about wayfarer or forums. It's not going to hurt anyone to let them be successful, and I think the question of whether it can be fixed with a simple edit is a good benchmark.

• Fiadnaita-PGOFiadnaita-PGO Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

It annoys me, but I assume that it can be fixed later. What gets me are the one-word titles or descriptions, like "statue" or "park" with no name or information at all.

• ChicagoRay312-PGOChicagoRay312-PGO Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Yeah, these are awful. I cringe with every review.

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish more reviewers had this attitude.

I try to not be too harsh when reviewing submissions. If I'm overly critical on something as meaningless as grammar, spelling etc then the only outcome is that it discourages others from continuing to submit and review.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are way too strict, proper grammar and punctuation at most knocks a star off, same with capitalising, mistakes depending on the frequency can maybe get something rejected, but remember edits exist to fix these

• Oakes1923-PGOOakes1923-PGO Posts: 419 ✭✭✭✭

Plain and simple, if you are reviewing correctly, then punctuate, grammar, or spelling mistakes have almost nothing to do with how valid a Wayspot is.

The one exception would be if the errors are so blatant and atrocious that a player would not know what the Wayspot was supposed to represent due to improper description/Title.

I'm glad to see that this forum has led you to not reject things based on this, but I think you need to go further. a 2 star rating on something that should be a 4 or 5 is also doing a disservice to the community. It could lead a valid stop to get rejected when it otherwise would have been accepted. As others have pointed out, maybe the spelling mistake was due to someone with Dyslexia or perhaps they intended to log in at a later time to fix it but by the time they did the submission had already moved to In Voting.

Just remember, Cambridge University proved that spleinlg deson't mttaer.

https://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/people/matt.davis/cmabridge/