Photos from Cars

At this point, I'm fairly certain that most people who have done this for a while can eyeball a photo and immediately have suspicion that it was taken from a car if it was. Often, if it cannot be absolutely confirmed in the 1st submitted picture, it can be confirmed that the picture was taken from a vehicle in the supporting photo. What is the community stance on what to do with these? On one hand, the photo that will show up does not explicitly show that it was taken from a vehicle (though as stated above, it can definitely raise suspicion of such), on the other hand, it clearly meets rejection criteria in the supporting photo.

My apologies if this one has been asked before. I just want to get an understanding as to where the community stands at this point.

Comments

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

My interpretation is similar to @Shilfiell-ING. I assume the point is to stop low quality photos, the ones with reflections or the side mirror in them, not necessarily taking photos from a car. If the submitter is obviously in a car in the supporting photo, I would probably look more closely to confirm safe pedestrian access, though. Try to see if there's a reason why they didn't get out of the car there.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, "taken from a car" is to prevent low-quality images rather than to strictly prohibit any photo that was or might have been taken from a car. If you see reflections from windows or bits of the car at the edge of the photo (or one I saw recently where the dashboard consumed 50% of the photo's real estate) then that's clearly a rejection. If you can't tell that the main photo was taken from a car then it doesn't matter where the supporting photo was taken from.

Also, remember that the supporting photo SHOULD BE taken from a different location than the main. The purpose of the supporting photo is to show the object in a larger context, and that nearly always means moving from where the main was taken.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 584 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of my submissions aren't moving around from main/supporting. The other option is a Zoom on the main photo, while supporting is often a wide area view.

• CarolFigueiraRS-PGOCarolFigueiraRS-PGO Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭

Main one 1*, supporting one is fine by me.

• PDSchroeder-PGOPDSchroeder-PGO Posts: 38 ✭✭

I place stock in community stance on these issues as anytime that a question is posed, the reason is 99% of the time because of Niantic's tendency to be vague. Perhaps it would be better to say explicitly "the community's stance on the interpretation of Niantic's guidelines" as that would be more exact, but I feel like "community stance" rolls off of the tongue better.