Low Quality Photo?

My nomination was rejected for being a low quality photo, and I’m not really sure why? My only idea was that it’s because it’s nighttime, but the location and signage are clearly lit up and visible, and the photo isn’t grainy. The place is a local ice cream/candy shop, not a chain, and has been featured in area publications for awards, so I don’t think it should be rejected as a generic business either. The supporting photo also shows that it’s in the public domain with pedestrian access with an area to gather. It was only a low quality photo rejection, and I appealed it, but that was over a year ago so I want to try resubmitting it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm betting your other rejection reason was "Does not meet criteria"?

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

It was only a low quality photo rejection

Tell me you didn't read their post without telling me you didn't read their post. Hopefully you read more closely while reviewing.

Your photo doesn't meet rejection criteria, nevertheless some reviewers will reject photos taken at night or that they simply dislike the framing of. You can wait out the appeal or try and renominate it with better pictures.

I don't know what your supporting text is, but it looks like a great place to visit based on online reviews and articles. I hope you mentioned the "Best Ice Cream in Westchester" for 2 years and it's numerous favorites of unique home-spun flavors. Actually, a lot of that should even be in your description to really help sell that unique ice cream shop. Now I'm hungry!

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

The primary is a pretty bad photo. I probably would have rejected that photo.

Your supporting is much better and probably could have cleared voting if you had used it as the primary. Unfortunately, reviewers do not have the option to choose between images, else this might have been approved on the first try.

I support resubmitting with a primary image that has proper lighting.

• MarlaJ-PGOMarlaJ-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

I just mentioned “nominated for awards” in the supporting text but didn’t go into specifics. I’ll wait longer on the appeal, but if I resubmit I’ll put that in there and also try and get a photo with better lighting. I chose the primary as primary because it focused on the sign and I thought that would be better.

Thank you both!

Businesses get short ended a lot. "Generic business" used to be an explicit reject and even hotspots "required" sources cited to prove authenticity. That link I posted above should be enough, and you might find other sources pretty easily, too.

Ya I figured it wasn’t a “generic business” because it’s not a chain or anything, but I guess some reviewers are pickier.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

You said in your OP that you got a rejection reason of "low quality photo", but you cropped your nomination image so we can't see the rejection reasons. Niantic normally provide 2 reasons for each submission. That's why I said "I'm betting your other rejection reason was "Does not meet criteria"?", because I would expect a submission like this to be rejected.

• Purptacular-PGOPurptacular-PGO Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

It's so interesting to see how differently we feel about this issue. I think the primary photo you chose is perfectly fine. In my local area, reviewers prefer a close-up photo of the sign for a nominated place over a photo of the actual store or church or whatever every time. I can read every letter on that sign and I can even see the wood grain. It certainly isn't blurry, underexposed, or overexposed, and I think that any reviewer who is rejecting for photo simply because the background is a dark sky instead of a sunny blue or a cloudy grey one doesn't understand the current rejection criteria.

Many ice cream shops in my area pass, particularly those with unique menu items, interesting decorative features, or outdoor seating areas where people tend to linger and socialize. As with all local business nominations, explaining how this shop meets the "great place to explore, exercise, or be social with others" is critical. Taking a supporting photo that shows the reviewers any of these details may help. Best of luck!

• dman41689-PGOdman41689-PGO Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

some reviewers tend to reject it if the photo is taken at night. try taking the photo during the day and see if that helps. also with the description don't write it like an advertisement

Just an update because I’m super proud and want to brag: niantic accepted my appeal! It’s already appeared in ingress as a portal and I’m hoping it’ll be in pogo too

• Starwind814-PGOStarwind814-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭

I had the same thing happen to me. I really, really hope mine will have the same outcome as yours, so thank you for this update, and congrats!! My photo is a daylight photo, great resolution/not blurry, neither slanted nor upside down. No people, no animals, no license plates. The weather is after a rainfall, so it's cloudy instead of a blue sky. That's my only thought why it was deemed "low quality"? I immediately complained about this decision and it has now been "in appeal" for months.