Rejected nomination of ballroom dance center

This is rejected by Niantic appeal as generic business. The dance center promotes exercise (ballroom dancing is an international competitive sport) and acts as a social gathering. Yet, this is rejected by Niantic as Generic Business. Please clarify why this is a generic business.

Comments

• pdurys-PGOpdurys-PGO Posts: 7 ✭✭

I think poster with phone number and web site address looks like advertisement not just placeholder for the place you nominate.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Niantic appeals staff have given some bad rejections, most notably look for recent threads about a mountain hut and a card club. I think this one is the same. Resubmit with a little extra info as @X0bai-PGO suggested for reviewers who want to see that sort of thing. You also might submit the building itself instead of the sign. The building doesn't seem to be in Streetview, so you would have to add a photosphere. However, if the building isn't interesting or doesn't have the logo, then probably stick with the sign.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generic business.

• AimForTheAce-PGOAimForTheAce-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭

This is rejected by Niantic appeal review as Generic Business. I'm not asking how to get this portal accepted. I'm asking why this is classified as generic business. I want to know why Niantic thinks this is a generic business.

According to Niantic, "A great place for exercise" is eligible, and generally the dance school / place are accepted under it. If this is rejected as some other reason, I'd like to know so that the next submission will succeed. For example, this is rejected by "bad photo" or "mismatch location", I can correct it.

• auntergoaf-PGOauntergoaf-PGO Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭

On the contrary, I ask, how do you know that this dance center is not a generic business?

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generic Business was the original rejection reason. Niantic's reasons are in the explanation, also unhelpful as it is.

Also, just because something meets eligibility criteria doesn't mean it is exempt from any part of the rejection criteria, which "generic business" is still a part of. A nomination must be able to pass both as well as pass the acceptance criteria before it can be approved as a Wayspot. Think of it as a three-part test and a nomination must be able to pass all three parts.

• AimForTheAce-PGOAimForTheAce-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭

This is rejected by Niantic appeal review as Generic Business. I'm not asking how to get this portal accepted. I'm asking why this is classified as generic business. I want to know why Niantic thinks this is a generic business.

According to Niantic, "A great place for exercise" is eligible, and generally the dance school / place are accepted under it. If this is rejected as some other reason, I'd like to know so that the next submission will succeed. For example, this is rejected by "bad photo" or "mismatch location", I can correct it.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rejection criteria override the acceptance criteria. It doesn't matter if somewhere is a great place to exercise if it is also a generic business. "Generic Business" overrides "Great Place to .. " and results in a rejection.

I generally reserve generic business for regional or national chains, but others may disagree. They might judge that even though it isn't part of a chain, it's not different from any other dance school.