Opinion: Do you agree with my judgement on this submission?

Just ran into this one while reviewing. There's a lot of factors to consider here, and I wanted to ask how other people would have scored this, and if anyone can point out if I made any major mistakes.

Apologies for not also grabbing the full-resolution submission and support photos. I hit submit right before I thought about it. At the very least, here's the street view which shows the surroundings but is too outdated to show the submission: https://goo.gl/maps/MgzkaQXJrY3DNdyE7

No obvious duplicates in the thumbnail scroll bar

Nudged the pin since it was in the middle of the crosswalk.

--------------

Ok, here are my thoughts/questions in no particular order.

Right out the gate the first thing I see is a photo of a storm drain in the shadow of a tree. I was about to reject for fake nomination when I finally noticed the actual submission – the fish painted along the edge of the curb. Not a great photo right out the gate – borderline rejection for low quality; you can hardly see the thing. I chose to round that up to 2 stars overall – would you have rejected it?

It's probably too difficult to see the submission in the screenshot of the support photo, but the painted curb is at the end of the crosswalk below the yellow pedestrian crossing sign. On that note, there's a crosswalk right there, and sidewalk behind the thing. The pin is plenty accessible, though technically you can't access the point the photo was taken from without standing in the street. I gave 5 stars for accessibility. Would you have done otherwise?

Historic / cultural significance isn't really the primary selling point here, though the description does a good job of bringing up the environmental conservation aspect of things. Regarding visual uniqueness, the painting itself is plenty unique, but the photo is terrible. Personally, I ignore photo quality entirely when scoring this card and only consider the object itself. Is there some clarification that says anything about this? I know these two are not really considered by the accept/reject algorithm and are only looked at by Niantic during an appeal. (At least, I think I read something similar in one of the old AMAs – lmk if I'm wrong here too.)

My comment gives a good short summary of my overall take on the situation. Even though I know the submitter probably won't ever see them, I still leave "how to improve" suggestions there in cases like these where the location is a good candidate but the photo or title/description is what kills it.

Definite candidate for resubmission. At first glance, this just looks like a random photo of a drain and the sidewalk – I can hardly see the mural in the photo. Try retaking another one when the sun is shining directly on it, and try to bring the camera low to the ground so the drain isn't the first thing you look at.

-------------

Any input on what you feel I did right/wrong here?

Comments

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,483 Ambassador

I would say the photo is not acceptable. It would be tricky to take a good one, the strong contrast between light and shade does not help but it just isn’t what you see when you look at the photo. I would 1*

in terms of accessibility it is not really safe as it looks like you can only see it from the crosswalk I might if generous and give 2*. If they had been on the top and safely viewable on pavement that would be ok from safety angle.

from photos provided it is hard to tell if this is good artwork, but it doesn’t look like it. There is nothing there to educate about the issues. It would have been great if there was a small info board about it.

Outside of wayfarer I think it’s quite inventive and like it, but this submission is a no for me.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

As above - no.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

1* for lack of safe pedestrian access.

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unsafe - automatic rejection. And sure you can see it from the zebra crossing. But if you are asking people to pause on a zebra crossing to look at it. And if you have kids.

Appalling photo - automatic rejection. The very fact you had to work hard for this shows it is a bad photo