Appeals Question

xLilPoundcake-PGOxLilPoundcake-PGO Posts: 104 Ambassador

Hi there! I am aware that the appeals process is significantly delayed for a few reasons, but I was wondering if this process is even working at all anymore. Neither of the two appeals I made (the first the first day we could appeal rejections) have gone through. One, the one I did in March not December, has been in voting since then. My other friends are also in the same boat with nothing even in voting. So basically is, is Niantic even doing this anymore? Or should we just renominate things/stop altogether and move on?

Tagged:

Comments

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I had several go into voting last week, and one of them has been resolved (approved!). Before that, I went six weeks without anything going into voting.

When Niantic started appeals, they said it might take six months. So, hopefully soon. (Thru the years, they've said they'd do lots of things, that they then didn't do. But hope springs eternal.)

• CarolFigueiraRS-PGOCarolFigueiraRS-PGO Posts: 381 Ambassador

I would nominate again, it seems like this process is way to slow, at last for now.

• xLilPoundcake-PGOxLilPoundcake-PGO Posts: 104 Ambassador

Thanks, y’all! It’s just kind of a bummer to see people saying they’ve had like 8 go through with my whole community just having nothing even looked at since December. Hopefully soon.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

The order seems pretty random. I submitted one last month and one this month. The one from this month was accepted after maybe a week. The one from last month still hasn't been looked at. They were in two different countries, so maybe that matters. Another possibility is the quick one was about a year old rejection. But probably it's just random.

• ernstbank-PGOernstbank-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

I was wondering the same thing about the appeals process. I have an appeal from July 2021 that hasn't been reviewed yet. The nomination was done while I was on vacation so it's not one that I can resubmit.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talking with my friend group. I see the range.

Some have appeal from original opening: Not yet touched

My review from when Reviews reopened: Been in voting for about a month. It went into voting quickly, but has been stuck there.

My review from a month later, not yet touched. Been almost a month as my appeal should repop soon.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your nomination was originally submitted in July 2021, not your appeal. Appeals weren't live until December 8th 2021.

• ernstbank-PGOernstbank-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

You are right I was mistaken. My appeal was done at the end of December. My nomination was done in July. I hope they can speed up the process though of getting appeals reviewed. Over 5 months does seem like a long time. I'm sure they get a lot of appeals and probably not very many people involved in reviewing them though.

@NianticGiffard I just wanted to ask if there is any update on my question above from May. In the 2 months that have followed, literally nothing has changed. I have made 2 appeals in total; one in December and one in March. The one from March has been in voting for over 4 months now, and the other has never even budged. Is this a bug? Can I even do anything to get these through, or should I just give up? Thanks.

• Telbourn-PGOTelbourn-PGO Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Also wanting to know if anyone has recently had any Appeals accepted? One of my Appealed nominations moved into the "In Voting" stage and stayed there for nearly 4 weeks. But now it is back to the original "Appealed" stage so no action took place. Have Niantic already given up on the Appeals process? Were those that were tasked with doing the Appeals part of the layoffs?

Surely the company can afford to pay for more people to join the wayfarer team to work on the backlog. I know there's been layoffs but then I read stuff like "In the first seven months of 2022, mobile gaming company Niantic generated 386 million U.S. dollars in IAP revenues". Plus over 900m in revenue in 2021 and 2020. I know revenue isn't the same as profit but, c'mon, how much you need?

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just had an appeal accepted overnight, for a Paintball field I've been trying to submit for almost three years now.

Yes, to the wayfarer reviewers that previously rejected it, but:

• a driveway and parking lot constitutes "safe pedestrian access"
    • a place of business that charges an entrance fee is still acceptable and is not "private farm or residence"
    • a good picture of something ugly doesn't mean the picture is bad
    • a paintball field is not adult-only entertainment

The "temporary display" rejection is only minorly baffling, given that the quartermaster's shop (the subject of the photo) isn't "open" 24/7 but IS always there.

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you post the submission pic, description, support/supporting info please?

I'm interested in why or what reviewers see to reject something that appeal decisions don't or vice versa.

• Duiomar-PGODuiomar-PGO Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine have been completely dead. They give complete priority to some areas, apparently to the point of entirely ignoring others.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,125 Ambassador

I’ll just tack on to here, Appeals that are marked as Duplicates don’t provide the right email.

It says that the community have decided, instead of Niantic, and still says it’s a rejection in the email too.

• Review times are not guaranteed at this time, but we will be tracking them over time to see whether the appeal limits could be adjusted. Having said that, we are taking steps to reduce the time taken for reviews. We are also prioritizing the oldest appeals for review.

Having said that, you will receive an acknowledgment email after you have submitted the appeal and once it has been reviewed by us you will be notified with a decision email with a written explanation from us.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

@NianticGiffard We are also prioritizing the oldest appeals for review.

YAY!!! Maybe Niantic is making good on their promise, referenced in the Nov 2020 AMA:

Q: With the updated criteria, there was a promise to rereview previously rejected nominations that may meet the updated requirements. How will that work? 

A: While this is a big effort, we are already working on reviewing past rejections starting with the Generic Business category. 

I have many outstanding appeals that I originally nominated in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Some are approaching their fifth birthday - please say they'll be looked at soon!!

@NianticGiffard you will receive an acknowledgment email after you have submitted the appeal and once it has been reviewed by us you will be notified with a decision email with a written explanation from us.

Nope, I don't get emails when I make an appeal, or when it resolves. A fellow wayfarer suggested that's because my appeals were originally nominated via the now Redacted Ingress. I've seen no Lightship team member say why I don't get them. I thought they were broken for everybody.

I have heard that the modern email promises that appeals will be processed in the order received. But I think the promise made many times, starting November 2020, supersedes.

• Duiomar-PGODuiomar-PGO Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some appeals from the first round of their availability that aren't resolved, does that mean that they will be looked at or is this only true for certain locations?

@NianticGiffard Hi again. I wanted to ask if there have been any updates on my two separate posts above that were made four months apart. Not a single thing has changed on my end and I have yet to have a single appeal move through the system. The only one that has ever even budged has been stuck in voting since March.

it’s really disheartening to see threads on these forums with people posting the results of their literally 12+ appeals when my community as a whole has has one appeal be resolved since last December. These are clearly not first-in-first-out, so please let me know if I should just give up. Thanks again.

• Purptacular-PGOPurptacular-PGO Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

I really don't care if the turnaround time on appeals is a day, a week, a month, or a year... but I'd sure like to know which I could expect it to be.