Coordinate Issues Between Google Maps App and Website Affecting Edit Requests?

I recently requested 3 location edits over 10m through these forums that were all granted. I thought it was odd they didn't place the new location at the coordinates I had requested using pinned coordinates on my Google Maps App (android) and they were each placed off by a bit. They have always been spot on before.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and a friend of mine posted an edit request over 10m using a pin and shared the link it created in their post from their google maps app (ios).

When I click on the link OR enter the same coordinates on my web browser the pin is in a different location than when the same coordinates are entered on my google maps app.

I'm wondering if this is causing edit requests on this forum to be placed in the wrong spot or possibly be rejected in some cases when being reviewed by Niantic, assuming they are reviewing requests on a browser and pins are being captured from apps? Am I missing something?

42°37'08.2"N 84°45'11.4"W

From the app the pin is on the pavilion roof in the satellite view

From the web browser the pin is placed to the north west of the app pin with the same coordinates

For context the edit request is to move the pavilion pin from the playground to the south to the pavilion north of it.

Comments

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have anything else requiring a location edit, try using the set of coordinates that don't have the degrees symbol in them (so instead of 42°37'08.2"N 84°45'11.4"W, use 42.618944, -84.753167). I know they should represent the same location (just using a different way of displaying it), but I've sometimes noticed that Google Maps doesn't react properly to coordinates written out with the degree symbol and compass coordinates. It does seem to react fine when using the decimal coordinates though.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

Google maps isn't perfect. Most of its images are high altitude aircraft views, so not exactly straight. Even if it's a snapshot from a satellite - the satellite is never exactly straight over every inch of land - so has some distortion too.

OTOH the GPS on your phone gets your longitude latitude by triangulating your actual location with 3 satellites (4 if you want altitude too).

This is a problem for Lightship. If I stand on the thing I'm nominating, and (thru my phone GPS) the coordinates are set perfectly... reviewers will see it on a map with some distortion.

For example, near(ish) me is a Little Free Library, near the clubhouse, on the far side of the parking lot from any houses. If you look at the Intel map by satellite, the pin is placed perfectly. If you actually go there, the waypoint is squarely in someone's front yard.

• Tntnnbltn-INGTntnnbltn-ING Posts: 809 Ambassador

From my experience, they never place the pin exactly where I request. Even when it’s very close, it’s not the same coordinates.