Unique mural denied as "Other Rejection Criteria "

I was a little surprised to find that this submission was not accepted, so I'm looking for some pointers to what I got wrong. Bad photos, language used, etc.. Sorry about the formatting.

Title: These Shapes Are Made For Dancing

Description: Grafitti mural - Geometric shapes encouraging dance and movement

Photo: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OiaC4EPZQuqxu7k2YJTH3M5slLhzajkLZzBdlyG_Deztd7cMh1QGGfRpMu-FM6LhELMk9yLAcnQo5N_xtW2aM48aptW28toqf5NzuAdJOg=s0

Supplemental photo: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OVaDUMHmOK_nPfVpc3ryMz3g2JhmqVkKmMxUXEZIBd6dn-ib_2_PrvvfrEfGbvblWuAvzztXOTFuJM5W_e7iIdZusMbsXjWk8Zb1iaExLQ=s0

Supplemental information: Mural created by artists Per Skovgaard, Sketzh, Tweb76, Swet71, CMP ONE and Zeds in cooperation with the municipality council, Næstved Ungdomsskole and Steen Koerner Studio. The entire 90 meter mural is a "danceable choreographic system".

I admit I spelled Zedz' name wrong.. Sorry man.

I believe it meets the exploration criteria (Unique Art or Architecture). I'm not much of an artist, nor do I know anything about it, but I think it's a pretty fresh take on graffiti murals, with the dance moves aspect visibly explained in the supplemental photo. Also my town is very big on "youth art", meaning mostly hip-hop with both art (graffiti) and literature (rap) festivals centering around the topic. We even have guided tours around town showing of the (also commissioned) wall art : https://naestvedung.nu/?open=495 (this piece being #26 on this website).

It's permanent in the sense that it's commissioned by the municipality and on municipality property (the back of a parking garage facing the train tracks). Eventually everything turns to dust but this piece has been there for a while now without anyone messing with it.

It's safely accessed by both pedestrians and cyclists with a separate footpath/sidewalk and cycling lanes. There is no car access but if you wanted to drive to it it is on the outside of a free, you know, parking garage.

And it's viewable from Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/bNLYTZE85hXogfLH8. So in my best guess it's either something wrong with the title, description or photo. What do you guys think? How can I fix this and resubmit it. Should I?

Comments

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

That definitely should be valid. The photo could be better, but I don't think it was worthy of being rejected on those grounds.

It is a rather long mural and I can appreciate that getting it all in one good photo would basically be impossible. If it was me submitting it, I probably would've tried to submit the sign next to it that (presumably?) gives information on the mural and its purpose, rather than submitting a small part of the mural. I know the mural looks nice when you can see it as a whole, and may make a better looking wayspot photo, but if you get the sign accepted as a wayspot for the mural, you could then add additional photos as wayspot photos and up vote one of the new photos to become the dominant one when they're accepted.

• Hateren47-PGOHateren47-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

Thanks for the feedback about the photo and submitting the sign instead. You are correct it gives some background info and has suggestions for dance-moving along the wall. I think I will swing by tomorrow and submit it that way, though I don't think it does the art itself any justice.

How does adding additional photos work? Add the waystop again through Pokemon GO and let the community vote it duplicate or is there another way?

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once it's live in Pokémon Go, if you go to the stop and tap on it as if you were going to spin it, there's a button in the top right. Tap on that, then tap on it again and it'll bring up a menu of things you can do, such as suggesting a title edit or a description edit. One of those options is to submit new photos. It will then give you the option to take a new photo within the app, or if you want to get a good photo outside of the app, you can take the photo first and then when you go into Pokémon Go you can select the existing photo option, which will let you choose the photo from your phone's gallery.

Either way, once you submit it, you'll get an email confirming it has been submitted, and then reviewers will get to vote on it. You'll then get another email once its reached a decision. If it's accepted, when you go to the Pokéstop and tap the button at the top right, you can then tap the gallery icon (which I think is bottom right at that point), and that will show you all the images for the wayspot (if yours doesn't immediately display, try tapping on the other photo and then swiping across). You can then add a thumbs up to the one you think should be the main photo.

Alright thanks a bunch for the info!

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

I like it and it is something that should be worthy of exploration.

I think your supplementary photo and info is good. That allows you read about the ethos behind it.

leave out the word graffiti as that sometimes gets an instant reject from some reviewers. It might worth trying to briefly say an information board gives ideas on how the can inspire dance movements.

For the photo if you could get in 2 or 3 of the first shapes that might work a bit better than just the one. And HankWolfmans idea is also good.

It could be appealed.

Good Luck

edited June 2022

Thank you for your input regarding the wording. I'll take it into consideration when I submit it again. I don't have an appeal at the moment, as I just recently got back into reviewing, and appealed one of my older submissions for a government building that got denied on account of being a generic business.

Post edited by Hateren47-PGO on
  • X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that this is an eligible subject, but I think the primary image does not convey the relevance of the full mural. The sign, the name, or even something like the crop below would have better spoken to the mural overall.

I guess that’s a pedestrian or cycling path in the supporting image, but I thought it was a road at first glance, so I could see pedestrian access as an objection. I think the map is going to need to show a trail there to erase doubt.

The description looks great.

Yeah it's a cycling path and marked as so on the maps and with a visible sign on the nearest street on Street View. The gravel-looking part is a footpath made of pebbles on asphalt so it get less slippery in winter.

I have already resubmitted more like HankWolfman said but I'll take your feedback into consideration if it doesn't go through again.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first glance at your first picture, I thought it looked like unauthorized graffiti.

The second picture seems to look like a string of several unauthorized graffitti.

The instruction sheet, of how the mural pictures depict dance moves - really impresses! What a cool concept! Makes me want to go there, figure out the instructions, then do the dance in the mural.

Your primary picture should include more of the mural (dance step symbols). A circle divided into quadrants doesn't mean much alone. Don't use the instruction sheet as your primary! It could be printed over and over so is not unique. (I hope it IS printed over and over, to go with different murals that make different dances.)

The instruction sheet should dominate your supporting picture.

Cool find and thanks for sharing!