Newbie Question about Agreements

I just started reviewing over the weekend and I hope that I know what I'm doing. The only way that I can think of to get confirmation that I'm reviewing reasonably well is by agreements. I've reviewed 20 since this past Friday and have an agreement on 1 accepted nomination and 2 rejected nominations. How do I know if the other 17 are pending or disagreements? (P.S. I understand that it has only been a few days but it would be nice to have feedback early so I don't make the same mistakes over and over...I've been skipping ones where I have doubt).

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply :)

Best Answers

Answers

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

All I know is this. Don't necessarily use agreements as your measuring stick as to how well you are reviewing. Plenty of people review too harshly in my opinion. If you don't believe me, try looking at how many threads are about how "my acceptable nominations keep getting denied!". I always ask myself "would I have nominated that?"

• PDPower101-PGOPDPower101-PGO Posts: 23 ✭✭

Thanks. I would say that I'm a balanced reviewer. I'm definitely looking for reasons to accept wayspots (especially if there are very few wayspots in the area) but I will absolutely reject if I don't think it's appropriate (doesn't fit the criteria) or if I simply can't find it.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador
    Answer ✓

there is no way to know which are still pending and which are disagreements unfortunately.

currently the best and really only way to get feedback about how you're reviewing is to ask lots of questions and try to make sure the folks answering know what they're talking about.

• PDPower101-PGOPDPower101-PGO Posts: 23 ✭✭

Eww, an answer from thee tehstone :) I caught you on the Wayspotters podcast. In addition to reading the Niantic guidelines, I've been using the podcast to help me learn more about what's a good nomination and what's "coal".

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Bear in mind that your agreements and reviewer rating are pretty much going to be noise for the first few hundred reviews you do.

It can take from days to months for a thing you voted on to get enough votes for it to reach a decision, and as others have said it's impossible to know how much of the difference between total reviews and agreements is from those pending consensus and how much is disagreements.

I've done two studies in which I tried to estimate how long it took for reviews to get to consensus. This comment talks about both my 2021 and 2020 studies: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/130195/#Comment_130195

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do agree that number of agreements is not necessarily a good reference of how well you are judging nominations.

However, while there are overly strict reviewers who make up rejection criteria not stated by Niantic, there are also overly lax or uneducated reviewers who accept things out of ignorance or because they want more pokestops (or portals). We have all seen live wayspots that have never been acceptable at any point: personally, I've seen a red sphere in front of Target (yep, the exact example of generic/mass produced on the rejection criteria page), photos that are clearly taken from inside a car (20%+ of the photo shows the interior of a car, making the subject of the photo small), etc.

More to the point that, aside from determining duplicates, existing wayspots should not be taken into consideration about what is eligible, whether it's with nomination or reviewing.