Issue with submission submitted at a later time and place

I submitted a nomination and put the marker in the correct place and have been doing this unfortunately I just found out that even though I placed the marker in the right location reviewers see it as my home location which is not where I placed the marker but where I was when I finished submitting it. This would be nice to know for when nominating anything with a photo from our galleries. Is there anyway to fix this problem or should I be doing then where I take the photo

Comments

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are any of the nominations you've experienced this on further than 10km from where you were when you made the submission?

I've not had this issue myself when taking photos and then doing a submission when I'm back home and on WiFi, so it may help to know what phone and OS version you're using.

• cixerona-INGcixerona-ING Posts: 44 ✭✭

Oh sorry. It's considered across town but but it's definitely not 10km away. I just GPSed to it and taking the main roads "driving" which would add far more distance then walking it's 2.5km if I'm walking it'd be less. I submitted this one after I got home as I was driving home from the store and had my 5yo in the car and I don't play and drive I just happened to notice a new fact/info sign I figured I'd submit. Only reason I know it showed incorrectly for reviewer is because my friend ended up getting it and got to the bottom and saw my condo and had to suggest a new location since she knows exactly where the nomination is truly located ans knows I would never lie about the location on a nomination and ask me if I had known that the location was severely incorrect. It'll probably get denied regardless depending on how many reviewed it already but at least I know why some of my nominations have been rejected for mismatched location even though they show in the correct spot on my contribution page. The phone I have is an s22 ultra 5g/note20 ultra 5g and a note 10 plus. I'm always on my s22 unless it's almost dead and needs to charge then I use my note 20. My last one is more of a back up in case my youngest wants to play a game.

For some reason i was unable to post with the photo of my currently in voting nomination that im talking about or a url to the screenshot i tool. So after checking all of my recent submissions this is the only one that shows incorrectly and I checked my GPS to see where I was when I submitted it and I forgot I had submitted it while still sitting in the local theater parking lot and wondering if maybe it didn't fully go through til after I had gotten home and for whatever reason it glitches to where I was when I uploaded it. However I submitted a few from home after this one and those were farther away but most likely still under 10km and they show up properly. I use my 5g data at all times. I don't care to use the wifi at home and my phone doesn't work very well when I do have to connect to it. Is there anyway to get this fixed or will I have to wait for it to be denied then try appealing or resubmitted it again.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since it's in voting, you can't withdraw it or put it on hold. You might be able to ask the help chat to remove it.

Thanks for the reminder to all of us: always double-check the map, in the review right before hitting submit. Especially if nominating from home. I know I sometimes blow through that last step, and the thought of doxxing myself is pretty scary.

Really, the nomination process should compare the geotag on the photo, with the location chosen on the map. It could give a message like "pinned location is too far from photo origin." This would fix a lot of scenarios, including cheating for a home stop or home portal.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

You also need to edit the text in your description. A straight "copy / paste" of the text from the sign into your description should get the nomination rejected for "3rd party text".

Ineligible text or description

Title and/or description seems copied and pasted from other sources,

It was denied as expected but not for the reason it should have been. Instead of mismatched location it is natural feature and fake nomination

Also it wasnt copy/paste I typed it out and I've submitted a few like this all accepted I know the nomination is eligible but I didn't see the actual location was wrong until a friend told me and by that point it was in review I couldn't fix it or do anything about it and it was not far from my home although not close this one I submitted while still at the location itself the others I submitted I did while home those the locations show correctly however this one does not. I didn't ask about the text of nomination I've been doing this long enough but what I wasn't sure about was if there was anyway to fix this before it was denied.

Either way if I was reviewing this I'd probably assume that it was intentionally misplaced especially looking at the where the location shoes. What didn't help if a reviewer takes extra steps to check the location and look up the nomination which in this case would not be hard my home is off the river but im located on the west branch which doesn't have a sign for it which flows into the main branch which doesn't either way this would more than likely appear as if I was toying to dupe them into approving it in the wrong spot for my own benefits Because they don't know who I am and to many people do try to get their homes nominated. So I can understand the denial and I was expecting it. Thank you all for your help I really appreciated it. I'll update you when I've resubmitted it. :)

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

You almost certainly got “fake nomination” in place of “mismatched location” because it would appear to a reviewer to be an abusive attempt at a couch portal. Ignore the “natural feature” reason, it’s clearly wrong. Do write your own description, or at least put the word-for-word text (which IMO is fine, FWIW) in quotes to show that you’re not claiming it as your own material.

That said, the case that this meets criteria could be stronger.

Thank you for the pov didn't really think anything about it I always assumed things like that your supposed to put what it says I've always done it and never had an issue. However I'll be more careful to add quotes from now on. Anyways as an update I did resubmit oddly this time from home and I double and trippled checked and checked after a few minutes to check the location once it popped up on the wayfarer site and it shows in the correct location this time. I'm not sure why it didn't in the first place I was at the location when I nominated it. The only thing that I could come up with is either it didn't upload until I got home and maybe cause a glitch in the location... not sure if that's even possible but it's the only thing I could think of as to why the location was wrong.

But here's the updated one hope I'm not chewed out for something else being wrong with it lol I used quotes this time it's in the correct spot so I'm hoping there's no more issues now. Thank you again for everyones help means alot.

That looks good to me! I like that you zoomed in on it for the primary picture, and that the Supporting Picture shows a parking stripe, so reviewers know you can park right there to interact with it. (If it's rejected again, maybe show more of the parking in the supporting.)

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

NianticGiffard Posts: 9,034Niantic › admin August 2021

Credits to @AisforAndis-ING and @GearGlider-ING for explaining it so well.

Hosette-INGAug 25, 2021

@NianticGiffard So, to clarify, the creator of art is a third-party source?

Would this also extend to text that is written on the submission itself? If the artist had painted the words onto the wall rather than a reference to them would it be acceptable to quote them as part of the description?

Answering your question, as per our norms, words/statements written on wall art is fine to be used. However, if the statement or passage is exactly present on a third-party source it is ineligible.

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

A statement or passage? It's a fact written out as a simple paragraph. It's not a poem or creative artistic masterpiece where someone will claim copyright over those words

Common sense is so scarce these days and constant clarifications in lieu of that just further leads to more rejections, which aligns with your wishes I guess.

Thank you for your comment sorry I never received a notification so only seeing it now. I really appreciate hearing someone appreciated my efforts. Anywas wanted to update everyone that this poi was accepted one i resubmitted with the correct location. I went back through the conversation as I saw new comments I wasn't notified of. I realized I made alot of spelling errors and some of those errors made it hard to understand what I was stating. One comment ending with someone disagreeing which is fine but I'm sure it's due to the way I stated things and the spelling errors. I was not trying to sound like I knew everything just saying I've been submitting for a long time and up until this poi nomination never had anything denied over putting down the facts that were listed on the signs or had be told that it could be denied, without quotes. I always assumed that I was supposed to put the facts in the description. Similar to the title being the same title on the sign. So now that I'm thinking of it should I be putting quotes for the title as well? Since it would be similar to the argument one made of "copy/pasting" the fact that you can read on the sign. No I'm not being sarcastic I'm just genuinely curious since the way I see it is if the fact would be considered copyrighted as I typed it out exactly as it appears on the sign should the title also be using quotes since it is also written exactly as it appears on the sign? Although I probably should have added in the supporting information thay my text kept cutting off at the bottom and why the very last bit of information you can see at the bottom of the sign isn't added on there which reads "Sign Sponsored by Trout Unlimited•Write Way Signs•Torrington Conservation Commission"

Please don't put the title in quotes. If that one should be in quotes, so should "First United Methodist Church" or "NameofTown City Hall". They aren't quotes - they are the actual name. Quotes only confuse things.

Also, quotes make Ingress keys sort to the front, so you'd have two sets: alphabetically with quotes, then alphabetically without quotes. Thankfully, very few wayspots start with a quote.