IMPORTANT - QUESTION ABOUT POKESTOPS AND GYMS

40daysTOlvl10-ING40daysTOlvl10-ING Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited July 2022 in General Discussion

Hi everyone!

Recently I came back to the pokemon go and I would like to do a gym in my area (I have 2 interesting places in cell s14)

Unfortunately, recently after adding one new poi in ingress (in another cell s14), I noticed that the input of portals / pokestops has changed a bit.

Well, my point is that once (2019-2021), when I reported the portal in ingress - after accepting it, it appeared in this game and by giving like to one of the selected portals I could choose which will become a pokemon go gym (synchronization ingress from poGO took place around 10am?)

And the portal I recently reported (june 2022) via the ingress application appeared first in pokemon go as a pokestop and only later in ingress as a portal.

So hence my question - has there been any change and now POIs appear first in poGO than in ingress? and only then does pogo and ingress sync?

And how can I now choose which pokestop I want to convert to gym if the POI appears first in poGO and not in ingress?

Unfortunately, I also know about the "elder poi" principle and I would not like that. The situation is that in cell s14 there is already one pokestop and after adding the second, the older one will become the gym (undesirable situation). My goal is to make the now added pokestop a gym, not the older one - how can I do it since the POI now appears first in poGO and not in ingress?

I am asking for a quick answer.

Best regards and have a nice day!🤗

Post edited by NianticSC on

Comments

• MalarjusVoynich-INGMalarjusVoynich-ING Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

Hello, just a quick reminder that using CAPS LOCK = yelling/screaming, so that's usually considered unpolite when used on the internet. Every post is important for his own creator, so don't try to skip the queue using methods like this.

It's been some months that the main database switched from ingress to lightship, so now all the games take informations about the wayspot pool from lightsync database and updates their map on a regular basis. Before the database switch the data flow was:

1. Something gets accepted
    2. If it's eligible to appear in ingress, it appears immediately in ingress
    3. After a while it appears on PoGo if it's eligible to appear in this game.

After the creation of the lightship database the flow is:

1. Something gets accepted and goes into lightship database
    2. Every niantic game check if there are new POIs to be synced, and at sync time they import the new POIs according to their own rules, indipendently from other games.

FYI, using likes on ingress and PoGo to force a wayspot to become a gym is not an intended and wanted behaviour, so you simply can't and shouldn't as Niantic stated several times that you are not allowed to gamble with the gameboard.

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately you can no longer influence which pokestop becomes a gym it is chosen by random.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,483 Ambassador
    edited July 2022

As @MalarjusVoynich-ING says lightship is now the database that approved POI get accepted to. The syncs to Ingress and PoGo happen at different times. if I recall right ingress happens between. 23::00 and 00:00 (UK time) ; and PoGo around 18:45 - never exact as sometimes it takes awhile. The approved POI need to be in the database for several hours before. It does mean for a short amount of time it could be in PoGo but not on Ingress map. Niantic moved to promote RNG as the choice factor as the system had been subject to severe abuse by some groups - large clusters of gyms created.

just because a POI is in the game longer does not mean that it will be the gym.

Also because the database is now independent of each game only the proximity rules for that game apply so Ingress has a 20m rule between points and this used to then apply to PoGo as it was applied before PoGos L17 cell rule that no longer happens.

This thread will probably get closed down as it is not directly related to the wayfarer process (just what happens when you add something to the database). You might get further help in places like Reddit.

Don’t let it discourage you from adding POI through wayfarer.

Post edited by Elijustrying-ING on
  • Hey there, @40daysTOlvl10-ING! Based on the content of the discussion, I shall be closing this thread for future comments. Your understanding is appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.