Tag next to a roundabout - review

Hello,

I have received this submission to review (please see attached photos). I am aware that the location of the "football monument" is located inside a roundabout, however the tag is placed on a pedestrial path and is very close to the "football monument" as seen in Google Maps.

Would this be a suitable Wayspot? Or does this fall under the rejection criteria "Pedestrian Access" or "Mismatched Location"?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11

Niantic says you have to be able to safely walk up and touch it. If the roundabout doesn't have a crosswalk (zebra stripes), that nomination is not valid.

They specifically said the tag should be on the object. Like, for a waterspout in a lake, you can't put the pin on the shore, even if current games can access from 40 or 80 meters away. It's just not a good wayspot, for pedestrian access reason.

• Oakes1923-PGOOakes1923-PGO Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

Niantic says you have to be able to INTERACT with the wayspot, not touch. Some might think that is moot but it is an important distinction. Not every wayspot should be touched but that doesnt make them invalid. These roundabouts can be a judgement call. If its a true roudabout in the middle of multiple roads and there is no intent for pedestrians to cross using the center of the roundabout then its a no. However if you look at the supporting photo it appears that this might not be a true roundabout and more an area intended for folks to pull off, unload/park and enter the building behind it. In that case then that area might be considered used by pedestrians and then it would be acceptable. Based on these photos its a no from me. But given better photos and more context, and showing that it is accessible for pedestrians to walk up and interact (not touch) then I could see if being a wonderful nomination.

@MargariteDVille-ING As for the waterspout comment, there are many famous examples where this is not the case The Fountains at the Bellagio hotel in Vegas are in the middle of the giant pool, however the Wayspot is located on the sidewalk. Interact doesn't mean touch. Like my father said to me and I say to my kids, you look with your eyes not your hands.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11

The standard is "touch" not "interact". If there are wayspots in the game with misplaced pins, that doesn't mean misplaced pins are okay.

Furthermore, "interact" in Ingress can require standing directly on the wayspot location. So even by the "interact" standard, you need to be able to touch it.

• Duiomar-PGODuiomar-PGO Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭

It's not even really touch, more that you have to exist in the same vertical plane as the object. It can be far above you and impossible to touch and it's ok as long as you can get under it.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic used to allow wayspots in roundabouts - and one night (2015?) they all disappeared. Globally. Singe then, Niantic has been concrete, unwavering, 100% clear and certain, that they do NOT want wayspots in roundabouts. Unless there's a crosswalk.

Niantic has been equally clear that they do not want waterspouts in lakes. But they haven't gone to the extreme step of removing all from their database. They don't have safe pedestrian access, which a deal breaker on its own. But also, they're not built for beauty - they're there to prevent mosquito larvae from growing - health department requirements for ponds that don't have natural circulation, to prevent malaria. I've found beauty in all kinds of common infrastructure things, like electric wire configurations along a road - but that doesn't make them a good wayspot.

The presence of existing wayspots never means they should all be accepted.