Wayfarer Rating Drop

I haven't been reviewing much, or even nominating anything, this year. But I finally nominated something today, and went to Wayfarer to make sure my nomination went through and that I didn't have any spelling errors, etc.

I noticed my rating is now "Good", although I don't recall it is has ever been anything but "Great" for a couple of years. Does relative inactivity from reviewing cause your rating to drop? I can't think of any other reason, especially I haven't been reviewing much this year (maybe several hundred?). Or has the algorithm changed sometime this year as to how your rating is determined?

I've done nearly 10,000 reviews in total, so it's not as if I had a small total base where a few straggler review outcomes would have caused my rating to drop.

Comments

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think anybody knows for sure, but I suspect that inactivity can indeed penalize your rating. I took several months off from reviewing over the winter and also watched my rating plummet after I came back. It took a few weeks of consistent reviewing to bring it back up.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your rating could have dropped because of old reviews. You know how submissions can sometimes spend months in voting? That also impacts the people who reviewed a long-review-time submission, especially the ones who saw it early in its lifecycle. If you voted on something and it remained in voting for three months then you wouldn't get an agreement (or non-agreement) for up to three months.

For example, my last review this year was 2022-02-22, after which I did nothing but record my stats every day. My most recent agreement was 2022-07-04.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do think inactivity plays a part. I took a hiatus when the coal was particularly bad, and when I eventually started reviewing again, I noticed that my rating went down to good as soon as I reviewed one nomination (it was a football pitch in a park and nothing was off about the nomination, so I'm fairly sure it wasn't a honeypot that I failed to rate correctly).

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

You probably judged a "honeypot wrong. From https://nianticlabs.com/blog/wayfarer-checkin/?hl=en

We've also taken steps to pre-approve or reject certain Wayspot nominations prior to them entering Wayfarer. Reviewers who disagree with our assessment may see a dip in their performance score.