Really not understanding a lot of rejected nominations

Many rejection reasons seem completely untrue...how are manmade columns natural features?

How is a mural permanently affixed to a wall a temporary / seasonal display

How is a restaurant and bar an inappropriate location? Children are allowed on premises to eat. Many other bars are currently wayspots.

These are just a few recent rejections.

I have one nomination currently appealed and am still waiting on that decision, and it looks like I have to wait for that before I can appeal the others. I believe it said something about no pedestrian access when the pictures I submitted clearly show it's pedestrian accessible.

I've heard often you need to keep submitting after rejections that don't make sense, but that's often not an option when I'm traveling and unsure if / when I'll be able to return.

Comments

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many times there are wrong rejection reasons displayed, and that's true in some of your nominations.

In every case you should make it clear why you're nomination deserves to be a Wayspot and how it meets eligibility criteria.

Why is that restaurant interesting? What makes it special?

Who designed those columns? Do you go to watch them?

Other nominations have a very dark future. Flag poles are considered non eligible, the decoration of a Mac Donald's might be considered mass produced and the frame of the last nomination can be moved at any time.

• niktero-PGOniktero-PGO Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

I agree with the comment above. I would also add that your photo choice does not help the nominations. This is a kid friendly game so focusing a bar photo on the beer taps and bottles of alcohol is a poor choice. Choose a photo of the name that is on a wall or something else not obviously about alcohol. I have previously rejected similar nominations that had a photo of the logo on a half full beer glass because the imagery was just that bad. For the garden and pillars I mostly see lots of manicured bushes which are a natural feature and some fairly generic pillars. Gardens are natural features so you need a sign, entrance, or some other indicator to use a placemark and show this is special and not just like the bushes outside every business in town.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,481 Ambassador

To follow on …

a key mistake people make because of the poor wording by Niantic is that the main point of the supplementary photo is to help establish where something is. So your supplementary should include the post you are submitting as recognisable but taking up a small portion of the picture with the rest of the picture showing key points that will confirm location and that it easy to go there safely.

Most pictures of restaurants/ pubs are of the outside. I’m aware my view as U.K. player where there is no issue accepting a bar might be different, and often in US bars are considered adult only hence location inappropriate. Your picture appears to feature the alcohol side so is not a good choice. But an outside photo showing name clearly with a supplementary at an angle showing the bar and it’s wider setting will work better. I’m not sure if this is actually part of a chain of bars or not, if it is, it is unlikely to be acceptable.

• djcmount-PGOdjcmount-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

I see many other flagpoles in game. Thanks for the tips on adjusting supplementary photos.

I generally try to avoid capturing people in my pictures, which often limits the angles and options I can use in pictures.

Do you know if it's a dealbreaker if the supplemental photo contains people? Lots of times I'm extremely limited in what angles / framing I can use with my goal to avoid getting people in my shot (people outside smoking, waiting to get in, etc)

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Existing wayspots are very bad guidance to learn what's a good wayspot that will be easily approved. Niantic refuses to remove existing wayspots that doesn't meet eligibility criteria, so that leads to lot of frustration and people nominates based on what they see like you did, but you should look at the wayfarer help, not at the existing content in the game.

The supplementary photo can include people, although bad reviewers might think that it's not OK and downvote your nomination.

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

People may appear in the background of the supporting photo, no problem.

It looks like all of these except one have "other rejection criteria," which appears to be the correct rejection based on the information provided. the system only displays 2 rejection reasons at a time, even if more than 2 reasons were selected, so if you refresh the page, it's quite possible that the McDonald's mural will also have "other rejection criteria."

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of these nominations is eligible - they meet none of the Niantic criteria .

• Farbsturm-PGOFarbsturm-PGO Posts: 22 ✭✭

Nah don't agree. The bar might be eligible, depending on if it is a local interesting restaurant/bar and not part of a chain. If children can eat there and is is a local attraction it should be accepted since it meets the social criteria and might be a great place to explore. You are right about the other ones tough, they are not eligible.