When the supporting photo isn't a photo

Here is an example of a supporting photo that isn't a photo, it's a screenshot. This isn't the first one I've seen -- someone submitting Wayspots for an amusement park is using a PDF park map as the supporting photo.

Does this matter, or do I just ignore and judge the nomination based on its merits?

Comments

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outside of glitches, the supporting photo is not used in the final wayspot, and so it can be used in this manner if it's helpful to do so (it is meant to support the nomination after all), though this particular example may be borderline trying to influence reviewers (even though I understand the frustration of people not necessarily following something that's clearly written in the guidelines). I would probably let it slide in this case, so long as the rest of the nomination checked out.

For a restaurant which was accepted by Niantic themselves, instead of taking a second picture of the restaurant for my supporting info (it's already obvious it has safe access as you sit inside to eat there, and it was clearly visible on street view), I made a collage showing their awards, a newspaper clipping they'd featured in, and some reviews.

In some cases this obviously would be a bad use of the supporting image, especially if it's hard to tell where the nomination is with regards to its surroundings, but as I say, the supporting image is there to support the nomination. Sometimes the kind of support needed just isn't provided by a secondary image of the Wayspot within its surroundings.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not universally opposed to creative use of the supporting field, but this particular application says, “I dare you to reject me.”

Watch what happens next.

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 294 ✭✭✭✭

I'd just review the submission on its merits. I've made at least one submission using a screenshot as my supporting photo (in an attempt to prove it wasn't PRP; the place was clearly visible on street view) and I know others who have successfully made collages. I have no problem at all with creative use of the supporting photo if it helps do an accurate review.