In Game "Newer Starbucks: Starbuck locations are usually sponsored locations for gyms, but..."

cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

I laughed when this nomination came through, and quickly rejected it. That's not how sponsored locations work, and there is a major game reference in the description. I did not laugh when I got a photo edit to review. I reported this live portal to help chat, ticket # 18609524, and got this response:

So sounds like they did something, right? But no. Portal is still live three days later: https://intel.ingress.com/?pll=35.953237,-78.525187

I understand that removal criteria is not the same as rejection criteria. But it is extremely frustrating to try to be a conscientious reviewer and see stuff like this in game. And the more stuff that should not have been accepted remains in game, the more will be accepted by example.

Comments

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭

Wholeheartedly agree with your last paragraph.

I'm not sure what the deal with the help chat method of moving is. I had a clear location edit greater than 10 m, which I submitted a ticket for with photos. Got a reply that they agreed decided to take action on the wayspot. The change is reflected in Ingress, but not Pogo. So it seems like it takes a while for these changes to be implemented and for them to sync across all games. I have wondered if the help chat people don't have direct access to Lightship, but rather fill out internal tickets based on reports so that someone else in house can manipulate Lightship.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 817 Ambassador

interesting, there's one near me and someone has recently submitted a description edit referencing ingress.

what did you say in your report?

• cyndiepooh-INGcyndiepooh-ING Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greetings, Explorer! Welcome to Wayfarer Support. Please describe your issue to view suggested articles and FAQs from our help center. Type “Skip” if you'd like to activate Remy, our Niantic support bot, and submit a ticket to our (human) team. Note that it can take a few hours to receive a response from them.

03:58 PM

skip

Which of the following do you need help with?

Wayfarer Access Issues

Please select the issue you are facing

Back to the Main Menu

Which of the following do you need help with?

Report Wayfarer Abuse

What issue are you reporting? You will need the Wayspot name and location to submit the report.

Fake Nominations or Criteria Issues

What is the name of the Wayspot?

03:59 PM

Newer Starbucks

What is the location of the Wayspot (please include the lat/lon, complete address, or a map link)

https://intel.ingress.com/?pll=35.953237,-78.525187

Are there any additional details you would like to share about this report?

04:00 PM

I rejected this when it came through voting, but I just got a photo edit for it. Besides being a generic business, the description is just game references: Starbuck locations are usually sponsored locations for gyms, but this location doesnt have a gym or Pokestop"

04:00 PM

Thank you! Your ticket # 18609524 has been created and the information has been shared with my (human) team, and you will receive an update in a few hours. Meanwhile, if you would like to send any additional information, like screenshots, you can do so by clicking the paper-clip icon at the bottom right corner of this chat window.

[copy/pasted the chat]

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ultimately, the criteria for removal and ineligibility should be the same.

Otherwise, the garbage will continue to flood Wayfarer and Lightship and eventually it will look like the Smoky Mountains.

If Niantic wants to turn their property into the Smoky Mountains, we will not stop them.

But it will be gone from their own dedicated fans that they want.

No one will AR scan Smoky Mountain.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12

Presumably the same is true for Starbucks in the U.S., but the sponsors of the respective games and the wayspots that have appeared by the respective teams in compliance with the sponsors do not appear in Wayfarer at all. (Some wayspots that have been sponsored for a long time may appear on Wayfarer.)

This is because each team maintains a separate database, but this allows us to duplicate sponsored wayspots, as in this case.

In a way, this is an exploit of a vulnerability in the Wayfarer system.

In addition, if a team picks a wayspot from the database under the wrong conditions, it can lead to duplicate display of the same wayspot.

In Japan, this issue has continued to be raised since 2019 and has been resolved to some extent, but even after 3 years, it has not been completely resolved.

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/33880/y-mobile-wayspots-are-doubly-on-the-check-for-duplicates-map

Therefore, I believe that all sponsor and sponsor compliant wayspots for each game should be integrated into Wayfarer and managed in the Lightship database.

Simplicity.

This is necessary to eliminate such abuse and prevent errors due to database incompatibility as described above.