Church Name Change

What do you all do with these types of edits?

I have a photo that shows West Central Ave Presbyterian Church when I zoom in on the sign.

I have a Google listing that shows Grace Central Presbyterian Church.

Maybe the church that was originally approved as a Wayspot just changed its name. Maybe the church closed or moved and sold the building to another church. What is the right way to handle the edit?

Comments

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I go by the photo. If the name has changed they should submit a new photo first, then the title edit.

• Purptacular-PGOPurptacular-PGO Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

@29andCounting-PGO On the one hand, I agree with you. On the other hand, I'm not seeing a path where we can ultimately edit Wayspots to be correct.

If someone submits a photo edit that doesn't match the existing Wayspot name, I usually think I should reject it, even if Google says the name has changed.. If someone submits a description edit that doesn't match the existing title and photo, likewise.

Should I be taking outside sources into account, or should I merely be using the information provided in Wayfarer? And is it okay for one church to replace another? Let alone if some random business moves into what was formerly a church... what then?

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,486 Ambassador

These are instances that for me show that the edit system needs an overall.

It would be helpful to all to have an explanation to support the change - this could then contain a link to local news as to what is happening.

I would also like a way to tell the system to keep the photo, title and description together.

As part of the process you should be able to retire an irrelevant photos.

At the moment photos in lightship are not translating across correctly and it can be nigh on impossible to get the most appropriate photo to show……. Thumbs up does not always work as a work around, but why should we have work around.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

I would definitely take outside sources into account as Google Maps can get out of date and that's really all Wayfarer gives you to go by.

As far as one church replacing another, I don't see a problem just editing the title and photo, the function and criteria are the same. If it's a random business, it is more of a gray area. If the church building architecture could stand on it's own, I might change to "Former X Church". If the building were just a **** mall or blocky building with a cross stuck on (likely to be removed by the new owners), I'd want a delete and resubmit.