Rejected for “sensitive location”

It’s the SIGN for the cemetery which is not in the cemetery. How would you suggest changing this submission? I’m confused. There are no stops or gyms for literally miles and since when are cemeteries not valid?

Comments

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

People do not gather to socialize at a cemetery sign - or inside the cemetery (*) for that matter. People go to cemeteries to mourn. It would be insensitive to stand around staring at your phone while someone is crying about the deep loss of their parent, sibling, child, or friend.

(*) Exception: Some old cemeteries have been made into parks, with walking path routes, and events (my favorite: a beer tasting called "Malts and Vaults"). For these nominations, your supporting info can include a link to the park website or event page.

Another exception: If no one has been buried in a section for a few decades, you might get a piece of art approved, like an angel or lamb. But you'd need to make a good case for it. Usually https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery can back you up that there aren't any fresh graves, but I don't find that cemetery there. Either don't mention the person whose name is on that monument, OR look them up and include info about how they were important. IOW, engage the reviewers and explorers.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no stops or gyms for literally miles and since when are cemeteries not valid?

From the rejection criteria page that can be found here: https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/new/criteria/rejection

🚫Ineligible location, place, or object

Sensitive locations like gravestones (not associated with a significant/historical figure) and cemeteries

There are some exceptions to this that have been noted by other commenters. One other example I can think of where I would personally be in favour of accepting a cemetery/grave nomination is for Commonwealth War Graves (which doesn't apply here as you're not in a commonwealth country). The CWGC who are the organisation responsible for the maintenance of these graves/cemeteries do have a mission statement on their website that states they want people to actively explore these sites and learn about them. For that reason I feel like they should be compatible with Niantic's exploration criteria. However, I know a lot of other reviewers would always err on the side of caution with these and I can completely understand why.

But yeah, that's off on a tangent. A regular cemetery by itself is not eligible as it's covered by the rejection criteria. There may be things within the cemetery that are eligible though. I also notice there's a church (Trinity Lutheran Church) at approximately 38.172415,-78.867885 which doesn't appear to be in the Lightship database. Have you tried submitting that?

• Alttara-PGOAlttara-PGO Posts: 4 ✭✭

Hi Hank,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I have been playing since 2016 and have seen SO MANY cemeteries as stops and gyms. When did they become off limits?

I nominated the church and it’s sign (the sign is distant) and they’re in the queue…

• The26thDoctor-PGOThe26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm personally not a fan of cemeteries or anything inside them being added.

In saying that though there is one near to me that is used as somewhere people are encouraged to visit as somewhere to stroll around in a peaceful setting

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cemetery is an easy 1* in review and, overall, a poor place to play video games.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of cemetaries really require local knowledge. Some are no longer active at all with all the stones being very old and make good way spots. I know of one that literally has signs up "keep your dog on leash" and dog waste stations because they are purposefully open for the community to walk through.

The overall stance on difference between Cemetaries/Churchs 1* vs 5* has always been a source of frustration to me. Some cemetaries are more welcoming than some churches.

I've had priests say that its very disrespectful to be playing a video game in a house of god. In 2017 when raiding was more a series of cars going from raid to raid, there was one church, four cars of us showed to. It wasn't during mass, empty parking lot. Priest came out and started yelling at us and recording our lisence plates. I even had the cops arrive when I parked at a church blocking me in saying the church reported suspicious person walking around trying to break in. Thankfully, it was pouring rain and I pointed out to the officer I was dry as a bone in my car and no water even in floor (left from my garage)