What does incorrecly orientated mean for a photo?

rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upside down

Back to front -

At an angle: - and this is pretty much what English Dictionaries will tell you - This means the object is seen in the photo to be at an inclination that is markedly different from the parallel, vertical, or horizontal of the implict object baseline. (the rejection criteria have a picture of a church at a 30% angle)

OR does it mean the reviewer does not like the fact your photo is not straight on.

Why am I asking? I took a photo of a football goal post to placemark a football field. And rather than take a photo directly in front of it I took the photo one third side on. But why should that fail. It is clearly a football goal set. With nets. With supporting google street view etc. And a website. But it was rejected for being incorrecly orientated...

A very kind contributor said to me - Slamdunk the nomination by taking it 100% as though you were taking a penality. I get that. I really do

But ----- according to the guidelines my photo met these

A high-quality photo of a Wayspot is:

• Of the actual permanent physical, tangible, identifiable object or placemarker for an area
  • Well composed - the Wayspot or placemarker is centered without too much foreground or background, or objects passing by in front
  • Clear/sharp with good exposure (show off your photography skills!)

To be fair. There is a section that says don't have a photo that is sideways or upside down.. For me, sideways, is only really applicable where text is involved. But.......

Thoughts please ;-)

Comments

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's silly that some reviewers don't give more leeway to submissions when it comes to things that you mention.

Unfortunately I think some people like cut and dry decisions when reviewing so they can move on to the next one and if you give them the smallest reason to reject they will.

In saying that though... What did your pic look like :)

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I know. That is what I was told. I will add photo much later as I really want the focus on the words. Not judging my photo ;-) Make sense

I am just intrigued by what people think ''Incorrectly Orientated" means after I had my most recent one. I am not fussed about my current nomination as I understand making it easy for others.

So to me:-

I think it means upside down, back to front or otherwise misaligned relative to its baseline.

And for things with Text in them. Not sideways. IE so you can read the text easily. I am thinking signage, plaques etc.

Thoughts.

I think it means upside down, back to front or otherwise misaligned relative to its baseline.

I agree, it has to be at an angle that makes me have to take a second look to determine what it is.

I only rate a photo with a low score if it is extremely bad.

As an example

Fine

This isn't great but I'm not going to reject for it

This would be rejected

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022

Right. OK that makes sense. Neat. sums it up beautiful. Thank

The next one is the sideways criteria.

for me for something to be sideways it means it is no longer legible and really relates to text ... Of course that can be related to an upside down photo or something turned from horizontal to vertical but I feel orientation explanation covers that very easily.

@The26thDoctor-PGO Love the choice of Chiswick House. Used to live near there ;-) on Sutton Court Road. And I did some work at the house. Ha! Who would have thunk it!! Nice memories. Anyway moving on - sideways.. Hold on - OMG. The date of the accepted nomination in your example is my birthday. Funny old world

Cue eerie music....

It is a great place just to stroll around and take on the views.

As a change of scenery from Kew Gardens which used to get 100+people about 30 of us did a Community Day at the gardens, pre pandemic, fun day.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

There are some really judgemental reviewers out there in terms of photo quality.

A side ways view of something is tricky if it’s a small plaque with a side view it’s really not good. By contrast some objects or text can make an interesting photo as long as it’s a reasonably slight sideways view and as above easily discernible. It really does depend on the subject. Sometimes with football goal posts it has to be at an angle as otherwise it gets lost in the background.

This one had to be at angle in order to get it all in ( these days I would probably tried to clean it up first) and there was very little space to play with. But it got accepted

• Ochemist-INGOchemist-ING Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm perfectly fine with photos taken from the side if the subject is clearly visible, etc. And as other have pointed out, sometimes it has to be taken at a angle to get everything in or to improve visibility/clarity. Sometimes it's also necessary to avoid reflections.

A small bit of tilt is sloppy, but OK. However, if the photo is so tilted that it makes me queasy, I'll reject for orientation and be pretty annoyed that the submitter wasted my time out of sheer laziness (or whatever reason the submitter had for not being willing to hold the camera more or less parallel to the ground).

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is on its side or upside down, then that's definitely an orientation issue. If it's overly diagonal then that's also an orientation issue. I've seen some nominations with pictures that are at such weird angles that they even made me feel nauseous.