Remove Ability to Edit Location During Review/Voting

ZeIdaSymphony-PGOZeIdaSymphony-PGO Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
edited October 2022 in General Discussion

Not sure how this posted without me finishing the title.

Please remove the edit location option during voting. This gets abused and people are moving pins to other spots to intentionally drop them into occupied cells causing wayspots that take too long to get approved, to never appear.

There really isn’t a need to edit the location during voting. As voters, we don’t often get our local nominations so how do we know where the location actually is? It should be done in-game while we are physically there.

Additionally, a location edit should require geotagged information and this be reviewed by Niantic to make sure it is a valid edit.

This will reduce the edit abuse that happens during voting. I am not sure if that can be tracked but I find it weird I can suggest an edit to something in Mexico when I live in the Eastern United States.

Comments

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please remove the edit location option during voting. This gets abused and people are moving pins to other spots to intentionally drop them into occupied cells causing wayspots that take too long to get approved, to never appear.

I imagine this happens a lot less often than someone trying to intentionally abuse the system by submitting the pin in an incorrect location to get it to appear in Pokémon Go when the correct location for the pin would be in an occupied cell (and for the record I'm not accusing you of doing this, I'm just stating it as a generalisation).

I do a decent amount of reviewing and it's very rare I get to review something within 20 miles of where I live, despite plenty being submitted. I think this may be intentional so that it reduces the chances of local groups all teaming up to force through ineligible things in their local area (I know it doesn't always work that way though, unfortunately).

The pin is meant to be on the physical anchor point for the object. If you nominate a football pitch by taking a picture of the goalposts, then the pin should be on the goalposts. If you nominate a trail marker to represent a trail, then the pin should be where the trail marker is.

If a reviewer can see a pin is incorrectly located but they can also see the correct location of the pin, then why shouldn't they be allowed to move it. Would you rather they rejected it for inaccurate location instead?

• ZeIdaSymphony-PGOZeIdaSymphony-PGO Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

I’d rather it be submitted as is then edited later. The people who know how to use wayfarer know where to not drop pins or not bother submitting if they know it won’t appear. Those who do not put them as best as they can.

I’ve personally had 3 approved nominations be moved during editing to wrong spots. This was intentional as the abusive player (using more than one account) knew exactly where to move it so it wouldn’t appear in Go. They know which ones are mine because I’m the only one who nominates in my neighborhood.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't have it that way though, because if you're gonna do it your way, then the location absolutely has to be verifiably accurate, or it has to be rejected for being inaccurate. And, if we use your most recent example, that cannot be considered verifiably accurate as street view is 10 years old and you can't see your nomination at all. Sure, it might exist there, but if your argument is that reviewers who don't know the local area shouldn't be moving pins, then by that standard they should be rejecting anything that cannot be verified, and you as a submitter should be taking photospheres to help prove that your nomination is exactly where you placed the pin.

I'm not having a go at you, and if the move was done as abuse then it certainly isn't acceptable, but at the same time I'm curious how you can be so sure it was done as the result of abuse, when it's very rare to get local nominations to review in the first place, and it requires several people to move a nomination during voting anyway.

I won't ask for specifics on this thread when you have another thread going for the nomination in question. I do have a theory about it though.

• ZeIdaSymphony-PGOZeIdaSymphony-PGO Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

As reviewers, we can’t exactly see if it is accurate. Same as the “which location is correct” review. It’s always some information sign you can’t see because the circle covers up both potential locations.

I don’t understand how someone using multiple accounts can find specific locations and vote the way they want them to be voted to get them rejected or altered. That’s a lot of work and the stuff I’m nominating now isn’t even in an area I necessarily care about.