Publication and update of banned words in each language

tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2022 in Criteria Clarifications

Hello Wayfarer Team Staff!

You are probably aware that there are currently some banned words in the supported languages for wayspot nominations.

However, since these are not specifically announced, there are times when they are caught unexpectedly and cannot be nominated or corrected.

This happened to me the other day.

So I wrote a simple explanation, HOLD it, and then went to the Wayfarer site to check it, carefully shaving off words, and what I found was ridiculous.

It is "hage-mu" in Japanese.

In English, it corresponds to "endeavor", "be zealous", "brace oneself".

Japanese is "rather easy to speak" among the world's languages.

However, it is said that "reading and writing is one of the most difficult in the world".

This is probably due in large part to the fact that the language is a combination of three characters: kanji, hiragana, and katakana.

Now, why did "hage-mu" fall under the prohibited words this time?

It is the "hage" part.

Among the homonyms of "hage" in Japanese is the meaning of the word " bald".

I couldn't help but laugh.

By the way, I don't like to make the explanation so full of kanji, but when I wrote "hage-mu" using the correct kanji, it was removed from the prohibited word restriction.

Since Wayfarer is based in English, it is unavoidable that something like this could happen.

However, we can reduce the number of such incidents like this one by publishing the prohibited words in each language.

Also, it should be possible for native speakers of the language to update the banned words so that they can utilize them correctly.

Please consider this.

Post edited by tp235-ING on

Comments