Rejection reason: Mismatched Location

I'm getting a slew of rejected portals saying 'Mismatched Location'.

What does that mean?

Got tips for how do you submit portals (in ingress) to avoid this rejection criteria?

I take a close up picture, of a plaque if possible, and a wide angle picture showing the location of the portal, and submit it from where I took one of those pictures.

Comments

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any Street View imagery for what you're submitting? If not, it can help to use the Google Street View app to create a photosphere. If Google accepts your photosphere, it will show up as Street View imagery on Google Maps, which reviewers will see. This should help you show that the location is accurate.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

It typically means that reviewers didn't have enough information to confirm the location.

The best thing you can do is to think like a reviewer. What will they see when they review it? Do they have street view available? Satellite view? A map with identifying information? Sometimes they won't have enough information available so your best bet is to figure out how to give them the information they don't have. If the plaque is on a building that they can see on a map or in satellite view, but can't get street view for, go wider. Show enough context for reviewers to be confident of the location based on the map, like the name of the building, a street sign, a business name... whatever makes sense for that specific submission.

I reviewed a really cute one recently for a trail marker that was visible from street view but not super obvious when you looked. Check it out: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/38102/an-unusual-example-of-excellent-supporting-information

If you can find supporting info for the plaque on the web then adding a link to that can help as well.

• phthoruth-INGphthoruth-ING Posts: 36 ✭✭

Many of my submissions have the primary photo is the object, frames relatively close to fill the frame, and the secondary photo is the plaque that describes the artwork. Which leaves nothing to establish location context.

So I wonder if it would be good to take a far away, wide angle photo, showing the context, and then do a photo collage, so the reviewer can see the plaque and the location, in the secondary photo?

• you should not do that. once the stop is accepted, you can submit the plaque as an additional photo. the second photo should ideally show both the object and another object or landmark that is identifiable on streetview, or google maps. the reviewer doesnt need to see the plaque most of the time. you can usually tell if its art.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

sometimes it is useful to use the second picture to prove something about the poi. I explain the supplementary info and there is normally a photosphere to show location

• Kek0ma-PGOKek0ma-PGO Posts: 63 ✭✭

It is very important, that the POI is on the overview. In my area is nearly no Streetmaps and if the POI is not on the overview I can’t confirm that it is at that place. For example a nature sign in the woods. It’s a minimum to show the reviewer, that this sign is actually in a forest.

What I'm trying now is the primary picture is of the object, which is fairly close up and straight on, but doesn't show much, if any, context.

The the 2nd photo I'm now trying a collage of photos showing wide angle context, a plaque if there is one.. typically 3 photos.

In the description and reason it should be a portal, I'm putting more information about location, to help the reviewer have context about where it is and hopefully at least one of the pictures includes something that is in street view.

I also submit the (geo tagged) photos to Google maps, but they might not appear in time for the review.

Its too soon to say if these techniques work. My (daily) submissions are just getting queued and not reviewed.

• none of the things you are doing will help it get reviewed faster. they will only help it get approved once it goes for review. the factors that keep it in the queue are how many other pois have been submitted near you, regardless of quality.

I notice in Google Maps, as well as Wayfarer App, that there is no information about the area. There is a park, but it doesnt show on the map. The satellite view shows some trees, but there is no text on the maps with names.

In my descriptions/secondary text I tried to say where the art is near, but those names dont show in wayfarer.

I worked out stats. For the last month I've had 11% of reviews get approved/live.

For 2021 I was at 27% of reviews went live (for ingress)

Top 3 reasons:

1. Mismatched location
    2. Seasonal
    3. Private property/farm

I plan to resubmit them all, addressing the concerns. For Seasonal and Private Property I think showing a bit more context and description of what the wayspot is should suffice.

Mismatches location means the reviewer couldnt figure out if it is where you say it is. This is the hardest to prove, when its not on streetview.

I wish I could include a video, so I could walk from the wayspot to a recognizable location, like a street sign.

When a reviewer is giving stars for location, how many stars are required to be accepted. Is 4 stars good enough or is that a rejection?

Would it make sense to have the supporting information include links to websites about the artist and/or location?

Reviewers seem to put a lot of emphasis on street view, so I've been trying to upload street view for new wayspots, but

1. the street view app is deprecated, so uploading from there seems to be ignored. use google maps
    2. an uploaded street view wont show in review unless it is attached to a 'label'. It is unlikely that the nearest label on google maps is where the wayspot is. so create a label. photos are also attached to labels
    3. the uploaded street view takes several weeks to appear on public google maps, so if the wayspot is reviewed before the street view is live, it won't show up.