Incorrect locations

During my reviews I often am confronted with incorrect locations. Roughly there are five situations:

1. The location is not far from the object, <20 m or so, and there is no obvious reason.

2. The location is not far from the object and this has apparently been set on purpose, to get it out of the way of other poi's.

3. The location is far from the object, >20m or, so for no obvious reason.

4. The location is far from the object and this may have been done on purpose, to get it near a home or something.

5. The object cannot be found but the location is certainly incorrect.

There are five ways of dealing with this:

1. Accept the nomination.

2. Accept the nomination with one star for the location.

3. Accept the location with a suggestion for the true location.

4. Reject the nomination as 'Mismatched location'.

5. Reject the nomination as 'Abuse'

I wonder what the best policy is for each of the situations. Especially I am wondering what happens when suggesting a new location: is such a suggestion automatically adopted or is it automatically neglected?

Please give me your wise insights.

Comments

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can find it, then adjust to the correct location and then rate the rest of the questions as needed.

If you can't find it and you're sure that it's incorrect, reject with Mismatched location.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

In cases 1-4, my choice is generally to move the pin to the correct location and rate accordingly, unless you have some specific reason to think it was done deliberately (like the submitter stating not to move the pin).

In case 5 (and in cases where you do know the actual location but Wayfarer won't let you move the pin far enough to reach the correct location), I'd give it 1* overall for Location Mismatch.

In any case, if you have a specific reason to believe the misplacement was deliberate (for example the submitter says "don't move the pin"), then I would reject either for Location Mismatch or Abuse and also report it as abuse through the Wayfarer help chat. Wayfarer help chat is the little orange bubble at the lower right of the Help page on the Wayfarer website.

That's what I do, at least. Someone else will likely be here to comment on what happens when you move the pin during review.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the pin location is inaccurate but the correct location is findable, I will move the pin. In my experience, not enough Wayfarers will move the pin to make a difference, but at least I have done my best.

If the pin location is inaccurate and the correct location is indiscernible, I will reject for location mismatch. I don’t have much recourse on this.

If the pin location is unsafe, such as the middle of the street, I will reject for location mismatch whether I can find the right spot or no (again, because in my experience, pins don’t get moved very often).

I do not change my methodology based on whether or not I think the nominator is trying to manipulate the system.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are the REAL "5 situations".

1. Nominator didn't realize that the location defaults to where they're standing, and just pressed OK on the location page.
    2. It was cold, and the nominator was wearing gloves. They thought they tapped the correct place, but didn't.
    3. It was sunny, and glare on the phone made it difficult to put the pin in the right place.
    4. They nominated from home, and got the pin where they thought it was, but were a tad off.
    5. They're trying to cheat. (It doesn't exist OR the pin in misplaced on purpose.)

If you can find the object, move the pin to it and decide it was situation 1-4.

If you can't find the object, it doesn't matter which situation - it's 1* Location Mismatch. UNLESS you have evidence it was cheating, in which case you could 1* with Abuse, and/or report it.