Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

No sync in HPWU (Again!)

2»

Comments

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Thanks! Glad they're giving updates. I've shared this with my local community, too.

• TRNAegon-PGOTRNAegon-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

It's been a week now. Is there any update for when the POI sync into WU will happen?? @NianticCasey-ING

• janhm73-INGjanhm73-ING Posts: 14 ✭✭

Maybe atleast we can get a manual sync again like last time. @NianticCasey-ING ?

• ArabellaArdelia-PGOArabellaArdelia-PGO Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

My understanding is they thought they fixed it last time, not a manual sync. I know it was syncing automatically for a few days after the last "fix" before it broke again.

• Cosk62-INGCosk62-ING Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

This could be a WB issue rather than a Niantic one. HPWURobert is quite active on https://community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com/en/discussion/7360/approved-waypoints-and-edits-not-syncing-again?, while NianticCasey is mum here. And I checked - she is not on vacation or sick, she is quite active on this forum - several comments a day - https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/profile/comments/NianticCasey-ING

Could be, or it could also just be Casey not responding since there’s no update to share and communicating THAT has never been their strong point.Robert didn’t say a word in that thread until after Casey had posted several times here and collected multiple examples from us, so I wouldn’t judge it based on that either.

• Cleocat2000-PGOCleocat2000-PGO Posts: 11 ✭✭

If you scroll back through the comments, you will see that NianticCasey took that info to HPWU team (WB). Lack of response likely to be as a result of waiting on them to provide answers. That’s my take.

Could also be HPWU Team at Nianctic. Dedicated team that deals with WU, just like they have a Wayfare Team and so on...

Thats possible, i just noticed that the 2 sync we had last time they "fixed" it, didn't happen at regular sync times. So i figured manual.

I know at least one of them was regular sync time - it’s a different time for WU than it is for pogo

Any updates on the POI sync ? @NianticCasey-ING

Any updates on the POI sync? It's been a long time and without new POIs, it's kinda hard to play !!

@NianticCasey-ING

• YoyoBM95-PGOYoyoBM95-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

Well, i guess still no fix, since none of these have synced

23.0925160, -82.4220760

23.0920630, -82.4229520

23.0913560, -82.4216300

23.0889290, -82.4245950

23.0892340, -82.4216000

23.0882650, -82.4217120

23.0820200, -82.4219140

23.0869510, -82.4214570

23.0862370, -82.4247480

We just have to keep waiting, I suppose.

• Hi there,

Circling back with an update here, unfortunately I have no news to share. This update is on the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite team to address and they are aware of it and working it into their release schedule. Unfortunately, that's all the information I have but I will keep an eye on this and let you know when there's movement on their side.

Thanks for your patience!

@NianticCasey-ING is "Harry Potter: Wizards Unite team" a WB team or a Niantic team working with HP:WU? So we know who to nag :)

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

@Cosk62-ING I'm at the... "I want to speak to a manger" point with this. 1 week of sync the past 5-6 months (so long I lost track already) is Riddikulus (HP joke).

It started in April, around the anniversary of the HP:WU beta release in NZ and AU. People were guessing that this could have been a licensing issue rather than a technical issue (WB license for Niantic data might have expired after a year).

So only 3-4 months @Roli112-PGO 🙄

edited August 2020

Came here to ask the same..... @NianticCasey-ING i hope you are able to point us to where we can express our concerns since posting here and on community.harrypotterwizardsunite.com dosnt yield much usable info.

edited August 2020

I really don’t see why it matters which company “owns” the team Casey referred to - most likely it involves people from both companies; and we do know it doesn’t seem to involve anyone who is active on either forum. The way I see it, asking in both places makes the issue less likely to get swept under the rug, bc both companies get reminded that we still care.

Also, the current issue has been confirmed (I forget which location but one of them) to be separate from the one that was noticed by us in April and resolved in early June, so it’s not a licensing issue.

• Taylor5636-PGOTaylor5636-PGO Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

@NianticCasey-ING I am so glad that after 3 months of no Sync that this is a "Known" issue, and I know that you are just the messenger. But how is this acceptable? How is it that HPWU can have an event every other week, but can't devote enough resources to fix a MAJOR issue with the game? You do understand why we as a community are getting fed up right? We report, report, report and get almost nothing for our efforts. We provide a valuable service that Niantic needs us to do, or they would need to Hire a LOT more employees. The least they could do is show us some respect and keep us actually apprised of topics and address the things we bring up. I also know that this isn't the place for this, but we don't get heard anywhere else.

Even if this is one the HPWU team, How is the acceptable to EITHER company/team? Unless you don't care about us playing anymore???

• Raachermannl-INGRaachermannl-ING Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a official statement on the wizards web page .... it seems to be a bigger problem, that the sync didnt happen for a long time...

@Taylor5636-PGO, this is not a major issue for the Harry Potter game. Most players aren't even aware of this issue. Even those who are aware are affected only in minor ways. Of course there are a few who don't have any wayspots and cannot create new ones through other games, but they are a small minority. It'll be years before this issue affects the quality of play in any significant way.

Even Niantic legal settlement that requires them to remove POI within 15 days is Pokemon GO specific; it does not apply to Wizards Unite. Niantic and WB can leave POI in HP:WU even after the property owner requested their removal. There would have to be another lawsuit to force some deadlines on the POI removal from HP:WU. This does not seem likely unless WB adds contents that encourages players to congregate in large groups. An occasional potterhead trespassing won't be enough of a nuisance to warrant a lawsuit.

This is a narrow minded comment. Yes this is a major issue. A major framework issue that requires correction

@Cleocat2000-PGO please refrain from personal attacks. An issue that does not affect the gameplay much is minor in my book. How do you define "major"?

@Cosk62-ING at no point was my comment a personal attack and I am insulted at your insinuation. You have the opinion this is not a major issue. I believe it is. We can disagree. The game is fluid and requires updates to support it. If those updates are stalled or broken, the fluidity is no longer there. You spoke of game improvement - sync is an improvement and fundamental in the frame work of all 3 Niantic supported game. Broken sync fundamentally hurts all 3 games regardless, currently HPWU and as such is a major issue.

• VanFanel842-INGVanFanel842-ING Posts: 1 ✭✭

Hey all, you're both right. This doesn't knowingly affect many Wizards Unite players since they can't submit/review but it prevents players like me who are 12 in ingress, 40 in pogo, and 60 in WU from wanting to submit or review anything in wayfarer since I only play WU now and anything I submit or review will most likely not get into this game for months given the current lack of priority on this issue. Maybe there aren't many like me but if Niantic wants more and more games to use their network of wayspots and openstreet map data, they need to keep this core feature shared by the games in the best shape possible.

The argument that it's not a huge issue in WU is true.

The argument that broken sync and the continual lack of concern or priority is a huge issue is also true.

Niantic/WB needs to get together and get this fixed and stop pointing fingers. Maybe Niantic needs to hold WB's hands in how to fix their sync script but either way it has to be done and the script needs to be reliably run on a schedule. It's in Niantic's best interest for their intellectual property, the wayspot network, to be used correctly and kept accurate.

• ODrakos-INGODrakos-ING Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited August 2020

I agree with Vanfanel, it may or may not hurt WB/WU as much but it defo hurts niantic to some level, small or large. And I think for people/players who are not in or near large/big urban areas/cities/towns it may also be a large-r problem for WB/WU. And I can give a very recent example of why, friend of mine went to a village in Crete, Greece, that friend of mine also happens to be a local who also plays WU, they dont have intel access, I do only so I can 'scout' before going to a place (for vacas etc) so that I know what I can expect, if I'll have pois and how many and to what degree I'll be able to play and what, ie if a location has a lot of inns then I can do dark 5's in forts, if not then I need to reserve energy (especially since I dont know if i'll have SE on the ground and so on) so that with ex se gifts I'll be able to do dailies and so on. So, I scouted and told her "idk what they'll be but that village in intel has 12 pois, you should have greenhouses and inns at the very least and maybe also a fort or two which you dont rly care b/c of the KB". So she goes there, texts me in messenger "what 12 pois? there's nothing here, not a single one!" All 12 have been added since after the sync broke down. so, i told her "do a test, open pogo and see the map" she does (she hasnt played pogo since wu came out but hasnt uninstalled it either), and all 12 poi are there, exactly as in intel map.

She was in that village for 10 days for summer vacas, she did not do more than the dailies, didnt participate in any event either b/c there was no SE on the ground and barely any foundables or ingredients, she had to do trace tonics to get the 10 foundables for the daily.

Now that on its own isnt a huge problem, after 10 days she returned home where she has plenty of pois and she plays more. But, what if she had been a new player who resides in or near that village? they'd be able to play pogo (and ingress) but im pretty sure w/o pois and w/o SE on the ground wu would have been abandoned very quickly. I'm sure that while this is a hypothetical example, it is not an impossible one and may be happening often, new players installing WU, seeing no pois, b/c none has migrated/synced in their area, maybe their area doesnt have many spawns or SE on the ground, they get bored and speedily abandon/unintall the game, perhaps never to return to it, maybe they returned 1-2 times through the 3 months saw no pois and decided to abandon it for good. This cannot not be hurting WB's/WU's bottom line, even if it is true that for players who already have/had a lot of pois prior to the june breakdown in sync it isnt a huge problem. I have almost 100 pois within 10-20 mins walking distance, for me the 4-5 new pois that arent synced arent a major consern and in a way it helps me bc if those 4-5 all become inns they'll further degrate inn quality in my area, but if those 4-5 were all I had to play with.....

• Xylophelia-PGOXylophelia-PGO Posts: 5 ✭✭

No update since July on this. Any new information? Will the sync ever happen?