Pedestrian Bridge rejected for pedestrian access

Comments

• Vistho-PGOVistho-PGO Posts: 24 ✭✭

Sorry, accidentally hit post before I meant to. The rest of the submission is coming

Description

Allows safe pedestrian crossing of I-675, connecting two neighborhoods separated by the interstate.

Supplemental Information

Bridge is for public pedestrian use, has safe sidewalk leading up to it on both sides visible from satellite view. This encourages exploration and exercise, especially to families as there is a nice city park nearby on one side that would otherwise be accessible only by car to those on the other side. This expands walking and exploration options and is the only nearby pedestrian accessible bridge other than the bike path, a 10 minute walk away. It is identifiable by the tall bent fences ensuring safe pedestrian crossing and also creating a nice frame for photo ops. The only bridge of this type in the region.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going to bet that the map view during review goes to a street view of the interstate, and reviewers are reacting to that. I’d retry with the pin off to one side or the other. Maybe refine the supporting text and hit criteria in the first sentence for reviewers with a short attention span.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

I'm not sure where you placed the pin while submitting, but I'd encourage placing it at the base of the ramp. While I think it would be wrong to do so, I could see reviewers rejecting it if on top of the interstate and possibly causing obstruction with traffic.

We have several of those bridges in my city that I'm a little sad somebody else got to before me, all on named trails. Near my parents in Northern Michigan is one I want to try. It has a funny story full of controversy of high costs but it connects the city to a nearby state-wide tourist designation state park.

A lot of cities have deep history of interstates cutting through neighborhoods and severely separating people from safe walking routes. While sidewalks have gotten better, footbridges like these completely remove pedestrians & bicyclists from the roads making it safer for everyone. It's silly, but I kind of geek out over this type of infrastructure.

You may need to wait it out, but I'd highly encourage trying to take a bunch of photos on a nicer day. Go home and review them, maybe even ask here for feedback or from a local group to find the ones that best showcase the bridge. It's not on a named trail, but maybe the bridge has a dedication plaque? Definitely mention the park name and neighborhood name. Just some more details that will help.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I will try again with that advice. I did put the pin in the middle of the bridge. I can see it throwing off the reviewer.

As for the history of the bridge I didn't see anything nearby like a plague. But I can try diving deeper online. It would definitely be interesting to learn more about.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,484 Ambassador

Very nice picture. Glad to hear a positive outcome