Pedestrian Access and Mismatched Location

I tried nominating one of my college's buildings, but it got rejected for Pedestrian Access and Mismatched Location.

It is equally as accessible as the other nearby buildings that are valid waypoints, so I don't know why it got marked as Pedestrian Access.

It's also in the right location and visible on Google Street Maps, so I don't know why it got marked as Mismatched Location.

What can I do to improve this nomination?

Comments

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,608 Ambassador

So I can't speak to the rejection reasons listed here. However, I will say that what you wrote is not enough to convince me that this is a good POI. A lot of people fall into the default belief that all buildings on college campuses are eligible. But when you really break it down to the 3 criteria: socialize, exercise, explore... not a lot of university buildings actually fit those criteria.

For this one, you list socialize. But I would argue that you don't want people coming here just to hang out - it's a lab where supposedly people are doing experiments. Should people just be hanging around there, not working?

You could probably make an argument that it meets the explore criteria because people are exploring science. That's what I would focus on if you resubmit this. As for the main photo, I would find a sign that shows the name of the building. When people want to verify the location, they need to know that this building not only is where you say it is but that is ALSO is the building you say it is. To my eye, your primary photo could be a cool apartment building. I'm sure there is a sign somewhere that says the name of the building. Photograph that.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a Google problem. The satellite view shows that your pin is in a parking lot. There are also several (very unhelpful, for Wayfarer purposes) photospheres showing the building’s interior here. I’m guessing your reviewers got pulled to a photosphere as the default view, at which point they went to the satellite view and neither one helped them verify the existence of the building. I doubt they even saw the street view you referenced here.

What can be done about it? It’s a tough situation. Definitely have to address it in the supporting, and at least say to reference Street View. That might get a few to acknowledge the building’s presence, if not eligibility.

• Thank you for your input.

There is a lounge-like area on the first floor of the building where students will hang out to study or wait for classes, so I should also mention that if I resubmit this.

The only sign I could find that had the name of the building was an occupancy sign. I don't think it really captures what the waypoint is supposed to be, and it will probably be hard to get a context image with both the sign and the building in the frame because it's placed on the right-wall of one of the entrances.

I could also upload the campus map as the context image to prove the existence of the building, but it wouldn't be a very good context image because it's a map and not a photograph.

Thank you for the input.

The building was completed in 2016, so the satellite map is outdated. I will address the street view in the supporting information if I resubmit this.

Another thing I noticed is that the reviewers might be marking the NRB (Natural Resources Building) as a duplicate because they have similar names. I'll also address this in the supporting information.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,483 Ambassador

i think reviewers are confused since the maps and similar names all lead to an unclear situation so some mark as duplicate and there is a bug that then kicks in if there is a high number of duplicates but not enough to mark as rejected for that reason it produces and then can produce some nonsensical reasons such as no pedestrian access.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,483 Ambassador

Also I’m exactly sure where the pin placement is as the maps are out of date,

but 3 out of 4 S2 level 17 cells are already occupied so depending where it is it may not appear in Pokémon Go