Appeal rejected invalid Wayspot: Waysport with no public pedestrian access.

Title of the Wayspot: Juegos En B

Location: -34.524386,-58.513815 , https://intel.ingress.com/intel?pll=-34.524386,-58.513815, https://www.google.com/maps/place/34%C2%B031'27.8%22S+58%C2%B030'49.7%22W/@-34.524386,-58.5160037

City: Munro, Buenos Aires Province

Screenshot of the Rejection Email:

Photos to support your claim:

Additional information: I know this is kind of tricky, if you look at google maps, it seems like there's a public access (it shows a greyed street), buy the Waypost is inside a property owned by Bayer, and you can only access if you are a Bayer employee. There's no public access, and the wayspot is barely reachable from the side walk.

I took all the pictures from Google maps.

Tagged:

Comments

• Khatre-INGKhatre-ING Posts: 182 ✭✭✭✭

that's nia point, lame but always been.

public access isn't required, POI with employee only access areOK.

i really think poi unreachable in private company land should be removed but niantic like them.

• Thanks for reaching out, @maranop-PGO! We took another look at the Wayspot in question and decided that it does not meet our criteria for removal at this time.

• maranop-PGOmaranop-PGO Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited March 2023

Thank you for your reply @NianticOtoStar could you please then remove this from the Acceptance Criteria criteria in the wayfarer site?

Because it's clear this POI has no publicly access. Only employees of Bayer can access the property (and the POI).

Must be safe and publicly accessible by pedestrians (indoor or outdoor)

And also remove this from the Rejection Criteria of wayfarer, because again, if it's only accessible by Bayer employees, I would consider it was placed strategically to provide advantage.

Abusive location

Locations that are intentionally and strategically placed to provide advantage to a single player or collective group. Or location edits that attempt to move the Wayspot away from the object with which it's associated (for example, moving the Wayspot to a different city/country or moving it to a more convenient location).

It's kind of confusing to have those rules in place, and when reporting it because it's clearly invalid and violating both rules, I get the answer "Does not meet the criteria for removal".

I also I don't understand why it got accepted in first place, because the POI is not visible in street view, and it's clear it's inside a private property.

Is not new that players in my area tend to cheat (and it's been a problem since early days of Ingress).

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course it has "pedestrian access", that it's accessible by the employees.

Also, a Wayspot located inside location accessible by only few people doesn't count as abusive location as long it's on the correct location; intentionally misplacing Wayspots so it can appear in either Ingress or GO, is.

However I agree some of criteria are badly worded, maybe Ambassadors like @Gendgi-PGO @SeaprincessHNB-PGO or @kawin240-ING can help directing this issue to Wayfarer team?

edited March 2023

Must be safe and publicly accessible by pedestrians (indoor or outdoor)

It says it must be publicly accessible, and this is not the case. Only employees can access.

Regarding the abusive locaation, the first part of the rule says it's placed to provide advantage. Having a POI you can access from your work place, and almost none else can access is abusive. Imagine in Ingress having a link to that POI, that a only a few people can access.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Imagine in Ingress having a link to that POI, that a only a few people can access.

That's...quite common and has been encouraged by Niantic since day 1. Consider this Ingress AMA response from 2017:

Q69: What do you think about portal candidates located in internal area of residential condominium, with access restricted to local residents and their guests? What do you think about portal candidates located in internal area of companies, with access restricted to her workers and their guests (i cannot join to the area without company authorization and the company not allow join to play ingress...)?

A69: Not all Portals need to be accessible to all Agents at all times. Think of it as an opportunity to make new friend.

https://ingressama.com/search?q=Make+new+friend

Your concern with abusive locations was also noted in the Wayfarer AMA in 2020:

Can you explain what “providing an advantage to a single player/collective group” means? 

We definitely understand that there are some strategically placed Wayspots that are critical for competitive play in Niantic apps, including areas that have restricted or limited access. This doesn’t apply to those locations. This guideline is about curbing abuse by Explorers who are attempting to make their Niantic app of choice easier to play by submitting fake or misleading nominations. In general, follow the criteria and help your fellow player explore interesting real-world locations in your cities and you should be fine.

https://niantic.helpshift.com/hc/en/21-wayfarer/faq/2811-niantic-wayfarer-november-2020-ama/?p=web&s=wayspot-acceptance-criteria

As @patsufredo-PGO (thank you for the tag) pointed out, it is frankly badly worded and very difficult to navigate the several links and historical sources. It is something very personal for the Ambassador team and it does come up often here.

For the record, If Niantic considers it to be a valid POI, I'm not gonna complain (in fact, I have like 6 POIs I can submit in the place where I work, but again, is not publicly accessible).

But if they are going to allow it, then they should change both the Wayfarer documentation and the test we need to perform in order to be a wayfarer.

I know the problems Ingress had. I've seen triplicated POIs (same statue, same place, picture taken from 3 different angles), I've seen POIs in a gated community only accessible via boat, in the president's residence, that is not accessible for anyone in Argentina, is not like the white house that has tours, no one can access the President's residence in Argentina.

I just thought Wayfarer was in place to fix this errors, and I thought Niantic would follow the rules they set for the POIs.

I will I do understand (while not completly agreeing) POIs don't need to have pedrestrian public access at every time, like in shopping malls/centers of gated parks that close at night, this particular POI has no publicly access at all. There's no way to Think of it as an opportunity to make new friend. Because is not like I can be friends with the security guard and they'll allow me to go and spin a pokestop.

There's no difference between this POIs only some employees can access, and my neighbor's backyard (they painted a beautiful mural). They both have restricted access, and are not visible from the street. Futher more, my neighbor's mural is closer to the sidewalk than this POI.