Pedestrian safety.

My nominations are rejected because of no pedestrian access. Why a mere nomination in center island of a street with a very small road is rejected the fact that the range of this Gyms and Pokestops in game is very wide that it can occupy even other nearby intersections and streets in the area? You can even spin these gyms and Pokestops pretty far to the center of that pin location. Rules, rules, rules.

Comments

• 82quuu-PGO82quuu-PGO Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

I stand by the reviewer's judgment on this case.

Access to the spot from the surrounding sidewalks is not enough, the object itself must be directly accessible on foot.

This is also written in the reject criteria.

Do you understand how dangerous it can be if someone appears trying to access the median **** on foot?

• AadenRaye-PGOAadenRaye-PGO Posts: 30 ✭✭

So Niantic wants us to play into the very center of the pin of the gym or poke stop? If that's what they meant to that rule of no safe pedestrian access, then the range of this PokeStop and gyms in game should only be at the center of the pin. Imagine, in game, the range of this Gyms and PokeStops is pretty wide, and if we talk about pedestrian of a road or even a wide street, the range can occupy both the pedestrian lanes on both sides and even the pedestrians of other streets and roads.

Wayspot's standards have nothing to do with Pokemon Trainer reasoning.

The following sentence is the explanation of the rejection criterion "access on foot".

Use for candidates that do not have a safe sidewalk to reach the target. Being able to access a candidate from a nearby sidewalk is not enough. Direct walking access to the object should be possible. Distant candidates, such as mountain peaks or small islands, can only be approved if they can be reached safely on foot.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rule is that it must be safe to walk up and touch the object that you are submitting. This is Niantic's rule, not a player decision. (If the object is above ground then you need to be able to walk up to the physical location of the object but you aren't required to have four-story arms to touch the artwork at the top of the building.)

The rationale behind this becomes much easier to understand if you pretend that you're an attorney on Niantic's legal team, or part of their PR department. If some chucklehead gets injured or killed because they decided to stand in a narrow median to play one of Niantic's games then they're going to have an ugly lawsuit on their hands, and the company's reputation is going to suffer. (This isn't hypothetical... similar things have happened.)

• AadenRaye-PGOAadenRaye-PGO Posts: 30 ✭✭

Then they should remove all Pokestops and Gyms then with the same nature of my nomination that is rejected. I've seen hundred's of them in near streets and roads most especially in the city where millions of cars are passing. To be fair with us in the rural areas with a nomination that only few cars or not even a single car passing, but rejected.

• ap011012-INGap011012-ING Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Ingress Prime sometimes requires the player to be exactly at the location of the POI.

The different way of playing between PoGo and Ingress is one of Niantic's biggest mistakes in merging the POIs, in my opinion.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AadenRaye-PGO If you spot one that's in a median or otherwise doesn't have safe pedestrian access you can report it for removal.

Perhaps he/she wants to say, "If my nomination is rejected for 'walking access', the existing spot is dangerous and should be deleted."

His/her idea that "Wayspots facing the road should be deleted because they are dangerous even if they are facing the sidewalk" is reckless.

He/she seems to think he/she is right.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you seem to be missing is that Niantic has several games beside Pokémon Go. Different games have different ways to interact with Wayspots - some have a large interaction radius, others have actions that require you to actually stand at the object itself.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to the many existing games, Niantic markets the Lightship database to developers of new apps. The uniqueness of the database is that it's real-life things you can actually walk up to.