Niantic's spoofing practices

oMINAo-INGoMINAo-ING Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

We have found acts of unauthorized promotion, spreading of unauthorized standards and threats to freeze accounts by implying that they are official.The "i" in the company name has been replaced with an "l" to disguise the misidentification.

We have discovered some irregularities in the editorial review of the description of the Monbetsu Civic Center. Please go back and investigate this applicant to see if there have been any other inappropriate applications, edits, or high evaluation review actions for ineligible applications.

紋別市民会館

44.356515810358765, 143.3529069185288

original

【この申請画面はNlantlcによるプロモーションです。読了後にスキップしてください。】 最近、一部の審査員による誤解による否認審査が見られます。 特に、【掲示板(住宅の壁掛け式含む)】【通常のポスト】【チェーン店やコンビニ等全店舗施設】【通常のマンホール】【通常の橋】【児童館等】【マンション等の集合住宅】は全て必ず承認すべき対象です。 適切な審査員は得たAgreement中、承認数が否認を大きく超えます。現状、否認が多い劣った審査員も一部「すごい」に誤分類されますが、今後は否認数の多い審査員に対しゲームも含めた一律凍結を行うことも検討していますので、適切な審査をお願いします。

[This application screen is a promotion by Nlantlc. Please skip to the end of this page. Recently, we have seen denial screening due to misunderstanding by some judges. In particular, [billboards (including residential wall-mounted type)], [ordinary mailboxes], [all store facilities such as chain stores and convenience stores], [ordinary manholes], [ordinary bridges], [children's centers, etc.], [apartment buildings and other housing complexes] are all targets that must be approved. The number of approvals greatly exceeds the number of denials during the Agreements obtained by the appropriate reviewers. Currently, some inferior reviewers with many denials are also misclassified as "great." However, we are considering a uniform freeze, including games, for reviewers with a large number of denials in the future, so please review them appropriately.

Tagged:

Comments

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, where was that “notice” posted?

• 82quuu-PGO82quuu-PGO Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

This is a vandalized post abusing editorial content in the description and is not a notice from Niantic.

Abusers are using apps to vandalize spots across Japan.

Abusers are using apps to vandalize spots all over Japan, and similar cases have been occurring one after another since this month.

That troll, just came to me too.

Wayspot name :江守中1号公園

Wayspot Location : Fukui City, Fukui Prefecture

36.036893N,136.200939E

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticTintino

Currently, these acts of vandalism have reached all over Japan.

They are probably using the Wayfarer application.

The Wayfarer team should suspend reviews and edits in Japan until the perpetrators of these vandalisms are punished.

And this is not the first time this has happened.

The root cause is the Wayfarer team's failure to take strict action and suspend game accounts for various false and unqualified nominations and edits that have been seen for several years.

You must realize that you are destroying the very foundation of Niantic.

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, they’re using the edit function and editing the description?

That's right.

He/she uses the edit function to spread his/her opinion.

This is the third case (I reported all other cases in the discussion).

I think they're probably taking revenge against a faction with a different opinion.

• MagicalThorn-INGMagicalThorn-ING Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

The misdeeds, presumably using the Wayfarer app, have been committed across Japan over the past month as a widespread and indiscriminate copy-and-paste abusive injustice.

At least in Japan, Wayspot has been severely degraded.

There are no good quality nominations, which we, Wayfinders, are supposed to be looking for and searching for.

Rogue Wayspots are rampant.

(They can be the exterior walls of private houses or children's centres.kindergarden. e.t.c.)

Not surprisingly, the content of the nominations is also terrible.

The attached image shows a rogue editorial proposal posted indiscriminately around the northern half of Japan at the beginning of March this month.

This is a proposal to edit this description, but it is a clear act of abuse.And this is just one example.

It states the following

飲食店・商店やショッピングモールやその看板はチェーン店含めて全て承認対象であると、ナイアンのAMA始め各種声明で明言されています。未だに店舗を認められない老害Ingress爺はどうせ社会でも爪弾き者なので、Wayfarerからも排除しましょう! そもそもポケゴーよりずっと古く時代遅れな足手纏い低収益ゲームのIngressプレイヤーに発言権はなく、Wayfarerはポケストとジムを増やす手段でしかないということを自覚させましょう!

It has been clearly stated in the Niantic AMA and various other statements that all restaurants, stores, shopping malls and their signs are subject to approval, including chain stores. The old Ingress old-timers who still can't get their stores approved are a pariah in society anyway, so let's get rid of them from Wayfarer as well! Let's make Ingress players realize that Ingress players have no say in the game, which is much older, outdated and less profitable than Pokégo to begin with, and Wayfarer is just a way to increase Pokéstores and gyms!

(DeepL)

In this case of unauthorised copying and pasting, 91 Wayspots and Wayfinder were punished.

This appalling content was carried out indiscriminately against 91 existing Wayspots. It is a truly horrendous act and an abusive practice that pollutes the Lightship.

(And this injustice is probably an annoyance caused by the Wayfarer app.)

It is an abusive nomination that we can only surmise that it is being proposed edits from a remote location and by multiple accounts that are not the main one.

Is it possible to investigate that it is an abusive act by a specific person based on the originating AP information, IMEI information, country, city, etc.?

Also on the case proposed by OP,

I urge you to search your databases based on the original text in Japanese.

Your team will be astonished to find that this is not the only abusive editorial suggestion.

I propose that the Wayfarer app stops submissions and editorial suggestions,at the very least, in Japan.

The situation is so dire that it should be app-blocked in Japan.

And I suggest that the Wayfarer! team ban the main accounts of the Japanese Pokémon GO users who are carrying out this illegal editing behaviour.

Since they are not punished severely, they must be thinking

'My Pokémon GO accounts are unaffected, so no matter how much I cheat on the Wayfarer app, my Pokémon GO accounts will be safe.

Nothing will affect them. So even if I do something wrong, they won't be found out."

edited March 2023

This is an example of the problem I wrote about the other day, "Two different Wayfarer factions are attacking each other."

If you stop the Wayfarer function, you will endorse a specific faction, which may make things worse.

I want the community to control them so that they explore each other in moderation and don't involve innocent people.

• auntergoafa-PGOauntergoafa-PGO Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

It's the same abuses reported by 82quuu. Will you respond each time that you have taken action on their accounts?

edited March 2023

Harassment that abuses editing is not acceptable.

But the suggestion to stop Wayfarer is a radical act.

If the community doesn't address the root cause of the problem, the abuse will recur even if the abuser is penalized.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

More likely, misusing location edit function to spreading misinformations.

And to think this abuse has been spread all over Japan (or at least, has been spotted from Hokkaido, Fukui and Fukushima prefectures)...

Currently, the only way to stop such abuse should be to stop Google login for Wayfarer applications and limit it to purely technical user login.

And Google login should be linked to the game account, and only when Niantic ID is available.

Also, the current system where game accounts can be nominated without being banned for repeated false nominations from the past should be revised and banned immediately.

Even if the ban temporarily reduces the number of reviewers, it will only benefit Wayfarer.

Reducing the number of such abusers will have the effect of keeping reviewers on Wayfarer who are fed up with low quality nominations and are leaving.

There are no different gaming factions involved.

The following abusive editorial proposal has just been circulated to me.

Title:万海池公園

The proposed abusive Japanese Nomination is identical to that noted by the OP.

This is a copy and paste.

【この申請画面はNlantlcによるプロモーションです。読了後にスキップしてください。】 最近、一部の審査員による誤解による否認審査が見られます。 特に、【掲示板(住宅の壁掛け式含む)】【通常のポスト】【チェーン店やコンビニ等全店舗施設】【通常のマンホール】【通常の橋】【児童館等】【マンション等の集合住宅】は全て必ず承認すべき対象です。

適切な審査員は得たAgreement中、承認数が否認を大きく超えます。現状、否認が多い劣った審査員も一部「すごい」に誤分類されますが、今後は否認数の多い審査員に対しゲームも含めた一律凍結を行うことも検討していますので、適切な審査をお願いします。

[This application screen is a promotion by Nlantlc. Please skip to end of reading]. 

Recently, we have seen some rejection reviews due to misunderstanding by some judges.

In particular, [billboards (including residential wall-mounted)], [ordinary mailboxes], [all shop facilities such as chain shops and convenience stores], [ordinary manholes], [ordinary bridges], [children's centres etc.] and [apartment buildings and other housing complexes] are all subjects that must be approved.

During the Agreements obtained by the appropriate assessors, the number of approvals significantly exceeds the number of denials. Currently, some inferior judges with many denials are also misclassified as 'great', but we are considering a uniform freeze, including games, for judges with a high number of denials in the future, so please judge them appropriately.

(DeepL)

Wayfarer! Team,

I suggest to promptly search the database in the original Japanese and start an investigation.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

Hi,

Could someone from Japan use the support function on the wayfarer website to formally report, and provide the supporting information.

• oMINAo-INGoMINAo-ING Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

私からは、審査画面から行う不正の通報は行っています

ヘルプチャットは、他の報告で回答待ちだったので行っていません

@82quu-PGO

あと、私は機能停止を提案していません

引用を間違えないでください

I have reported the fraud, which is done from the review screen.

I have not done the help chat because I was waiting for an answer on another report.

@82quu-PGO

Also, I didn't suggest deactivation.

Please don't misquote me.

@82quuu-PGO

Stopping the Wayfarer app was suggested in this thread. However, no one other than you has suggested 'stopping Wayfarer! itself'.

Calm down and read carefully.

@oMINAo-ING

It was tp235 who sued to stop reviews and editorial content, not you or me.

I quoted your post about "factional warfare".

As for the application, there is no distance limit on the PC version, so it is widely exploited.

People who have made unauthorized edits have been reported according to procedure and should be penalized.

Recently, there are people who are doing extreme campaigns between Wayfarers on Twitter, and it is polarized.

There have also been cases of edited trolls impersonating people they don't like.

日本のWayfarerの皆さまにお願いします。

無関係のレビュアーを巻き込まないでください。

それから気に入らないユーザーを攻撃したりせず、どうか考えの違う人に対しても尊重してください。

そうすればこのような悪用は自然と減ると思います。

私は冷静に注意深く読んでいます。

Ahhhh, me?

I wrote this because my intention was simply to punish this abuser and not get results.

The Google account login in the current Wayfarer application does not require the email address used for the game account to log in.

In other words, it makes no sense to penalize this abandoned account.

Then you can't prevent abuse unless you limit it to Google accounts linked to game accounts, and accounts that have reached the access level.

Until we are ready to do that, we say, let's stop logging into the Wayfarer application with Google accounts.

And I'm just saying that if we can ban abusive players from logging into the game, this kind of abuse will not happen when we reopen the game.

The Wayfarer team would not need to stop logins if they could prepare for that immediately.

But it will take at least a week in my view.

Also, I am not going to stop IT engineers from logging in with their Lightship or 8 ball accounts.

They are trying to use Lightship to create new things.

There is no way they would abuse it in such a way.

But Google account login is different.

Please understand that.

I apologize if my understanding is lacking.

I agree with the login restrictions for accounts that are not related to play.

However, abusers have also impersonated one of the participants in this thread, so penalties alone are likely to repeat the same thing.

I think Japanese Wayfarers should respond to abuse rationally and solemnly.

For the Wayfarer application to be used correctly, the following improvements could be made.

Stopping the use of unlimited Google Login for Wayfarer applications

The 8-ball and Lightship accounts are normally developed by IT engineers using Lightship VPS.

However, at this stage, most of the Googie account logins are not IT engineers, but simply Game Players.

Therefore, the following restrictions need to be put in place.

Restrict the ability to log-in only to Google accounts used for Ingress or Pokémon GO by linking them to Niantic IDs.

In addition, implement access level restrictions in Wayfarer (level 10 for Ingress, level 37 or higher for Pokémon GO).

If a player uses the Wayfarer application to exploit titles, descriptions, location information, photos, etc., access to the game itself will also be prohibited.

Also, as has been said before, if Wayfarer abuse is discovered, the same punishment should be applied to abuse from the game application.

Currently, even though there are penalties for Wayfarer, there are no penalties for access to the game, and penalizing abusers does not deter them in any way, since they can also nominate wayspots from the game application.

• kawin240-INGkawin240-ING Posts: 803 Ambassador

I thought Google Login is not supported yet? Or was this only the case with the mobile app?

• 私は日本のWayfarersです。

この申請を一度見かけたので、不正として報告しました。

このような悪質なユーザーが規制されることを強く望みます。

I'm a Japanese Wayfarers.

I saw this request once and reported it as fraudulent.

I strongly hope that such malicious users will be regulated.

• oMINAo-INGoMINAo-ING Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    Reported 3 fake description edits
    Ticket #22692333