Gated communities

Can you get a wayspot submission accepted in a gated community? Like if I were to submit a playground in a gated community my understanding is that most people would decline for private property/pedestrian access.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, absolutely.

The rule is that some people must have safe pedestrian access to it, not that it be open to everyone.

• CiscoPlayz00-PGOCiscoPlayz00-PGO Posts: 61 ✭✭

Omg thank you so much now I can nominate things around here! It’s all safely connected by sidewalks as well

@CiscoPlayz00-PGO As you're submitting things think about the experience of reviewers. Will they have the information they need to confirm the existence and location of the things you're submitting?

Is there reasonably up-to-date street view for the area? If not, are the things you're submitting easily identifiable via satellite view? If there's no street view and satellite view doesn't help reviewers confirm your candidate then you'll have to do some extra work to convince reviewers that your submission is real. This typically requires thinking carefully about what information you can provide in your supporting photo and text to help reviewers out.

First, remember that the supporting photo should show the thing you're submitting with enough environmental context for reviewers to see where the thing is-- don't just turn around and take a picture of stuff nearby. (So many people get this wrong, and I've rejected countless submissions because the supporting photo was useless and I couldn't confirm the existence/location.)

If you have no street/satellite view to work with, what can you use to provide reviewers with context/confirmation? If Google Maps shows street names then you can sometimes include a street sign in your supporting photo to help reviewers out. If your candidate isn't visible to reviewers but there's something nearby that is then you can include the visible thing in your supporting photo so reviewers can see where it is relative to your candidate. Imagine a pavilion that's under tree cover but there's a clear playground nearby-- show both the playground and the pavilion in your supporting image.

What web resources are available? If your community has a map available showing where things like playgrounds are then you can link to the map in your supporting text.

Use your supporting text to help reviewers. Don't say something useless like "a place for kids to play". Something better would be, "This is about 20 meters from the corner for State and Main streets. I've included the State/Main street sign in the supporting photo to show the location."

Also, you rarely need to worry about showing pedestrian access for a playground, park, or community center-- these things nearly always have safe pedestrian access by definition.

• CiscoPlayz00-PGOCiscoPlayz00-PGO Posts: 61 ✭✭

Thanks for this very detailed explanation, for the supporting photo I always take pictures of the object in a farther away location so viewers can tell where it is.

As for the street view, I would have to make photospheres, which is a current thread I put up because I need an app for the photospheres and can’t seem to find a good one.

@CiscoPlayz00-PGO You don't need photospheres. You really just need to know what information is available to reviewers and figure out how to fill in the blanks for reviewers.