Title edit appeal

Title of the Wayspot: Krowiô Bróma

City: Gdańsk

Screenshot of the Rejection Email:

Photos to support your claim: several links instead of photos

Brama Krowia (Gdansk) - All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (tripadvisor.com)

Brama Krowia – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia

BRAMA KROWIA – Encyklopedia Gdańska (gedanopedia.pl)

Additional information: Current wayspot name is similar but uses letters not existant in Polish language, also google search for current name https://www.google.com/search?q=Krowi%C3%B4+Br%C3%B3ma doesn't return any hits, while for correct official Polish name https://www.google.com/search?q=Krowia+brama+gda%C5%84sk it returns 11k results

Please change the name to an official Polish name - Brama Krowia

This is just one of the dozens of waystops renamed to an incorrect name in city of Gdańsk, Poland. In January 2023 I have made an appeal to restore correct names of waystops in Gdańsk and this appeal was positively recognized by Niantic and the names of 82 pokestops were restored as a result, please see https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/187235#Comment_187235

However since January most, if not all of these waystops were maliciously renamed again together with many more. My in-game requests to restore the name are being rejected by "community".

Niantic, please restore the names of pokestops Old Town Gdańsk Poland again and prevent further malicious name changes to them.

Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks for the appeal, @KotOtaki-PGO! Based on the evidence provided, we’ve made the necessary changes to the title of the Wayspot.

• Godocz-PGOGodocz-PGO Posts: 162 ✭✭

Am writing to ask you to consider withdrawing the decision to change the name of Wayspot "Krowiô Bramô" to its Polish equivalent. This Wayspot was an important part of the local Kashubian community in Gdańsk and the Kashubian name was already accepted by the local community.

As you probably know, Gdańsk is the capital of Kashubia, a region with a unique culture and language. The Kashubian community has been an integral part of Gdańsk's history and heritage, and the use of the Kashubian name for this Wayspot underscores the importance of this cultural identity.

I understand that there may have been some confusion about Wayspot's original name, "Kuhtor". However, the Kashubian name "Krowiô Bramô" has already been accepted by the local community, and changing it now would cause confusion and frustration.

I kindly ask you to take into account the importance of cultural diversity and heritage and to preserve the Kashubian name Wayspot. This would be an expression of respect for the local community and would help to preserve the unique cultural identity of Gdańsk and Kashubia.

Thank you for drawing attention to this matter.

@NianticOtoStar

• KotOtaki-PGOKotOtaki-PGO Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

It's absolutely outrageous how abusers dare to appeal to Niantic to destroy quality of their own game by using "nick names" or unofficial translations instead of official Polish names for waypots in Polish city of Gdańsk, especially famous historical landmarks.

@Godocz-PGO for several months now you have been destroying quality of the game for everyone in Gdańsk. Please accept the fact that you are living in Poland and Polish language is the only official one here. You might not agree with this fact but stop fighting it.

For some reason Niantic has not taken any preventing measures towards your mailicious actions so you can still come to your senses.

Kashubian names are of great importance to the Kashubian community, which is an important part of Polish and European culture. Kashubian is also one of the official languages ​​in Pomerania, and the names of places and monuments are often used by residents and tourists.

The struggle to preserve the Kashubian culture and language, including the use of Kashubian names, has been and still is an important element of the history of Kashubia. Therefore, the choice of a Kashubian name for Wayspot, which is related to Kashubian culture and history, is justified and should be respected.

In addition, it is worth noting that Niantic does not require only Polish names for waypoints in Poland. It is important that the names are understandable and correct from the point of view of the local community, and not only in accordance with the official language.

I encourage you to respect cultural and linguistic diversity, and to be more tolerant and understanding of other cultures and languages.

• Robert4444-INGRobert4444-ING Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭

As a resident of Poland and a player in Poland, I demand that place names be in the official language or any language that can be translated by translate.google.com. As long as the Kashubian language is not there, the name changes significantly reduce the quality of Wayspots for players in Poland and visitors. 

The Kashubian language is one of the official languages ​​in Pomerania, which means that it is officially used in administration and public institutions. Therefore, Kashubian names for pokestops are correct and should be accepted on a par with Polish names. However, there are people who claim otherwise and believe that Kashubian names are incorrect, incorrect or unnecessary. This attitude is not only detrimental to the preservation of cultural diversity, but also ignores the fact that Kashubian is the official language in Pomerania. It should also be noted that Google Translate does not support the Kashubian language, which does not mean, however, that the Kashubian names of pokestops are incorrect. It is worth remembering that a translator cannot translate every language in the world and should not be the only translation tool. Therefore, we encourage you to respect the Kashubian language and recognize Kashubian names as equal to Polish ones. In this way, we will contribute to maintaining and promoting cultural diversity and to strengthening the identity of the Pomeranian region.

Apart from you, there is no other player on this forum who cares about these strange, often fake names, instead there are plenty of players who are bothered by it. Unfortunately, Niantic is powerless and they don't care about the quality, which you deliberately lower. Find yourself some "exclusively" Kashubian Wayspot and report it in Kashubian, rather than changing Polish names into incomprehensible gibberish.

Look for Pùrtek and add it. Good luck.

Poza tobą nie ma na tym forum innego gracza, któremu by zależało na tych dziwnych, często fałszywych nazwach, za to jest mnóstwo graczy którym to przeszkadza. Niestety, Niantic jest bezsilny i nie zależy im na jakości, którą celowo obniżasz. Znajdź sobie jakiś "wyłącznie" kaszubski Wayspot i go zgłoś po kaszubsku, a nie zmieniaj Polskie nazwy na niezrozumiały bełkot.

Poszukaj Pùrtka i go dodaj. Powodzenia.

• onecino-INGonecino-ING Posts: 222 Ambassador
    edited April 2023

I'd like to remind you that names in Kashubian, according to the Polish law, can only be added AFTER names in Polish with exception of a handful of muncipalities - Gdańsk is not one of these exceptions.

If you really care about the inclusivity and respect towards various players, their national/local identity and their history (regardless of what language they speak) you should be considerate towards players who do not speak/understand Kashubian, but want to enjoy whatever game they play.

Additionally, in order to "maintain and promote cultural diversity and to strengthening the identity of the Pomeranian region" you need to be able to understand what is written - and I do not mean only Polish speakers, but all the visitors that the city and Pomeranian region is attracting. Now, unfortunately it's not possible to translate it using available tools - pretty sure you could reach out to them and over the next few years provide with enough material to teach the tools Kashubian language.

Lastly, is it a coincidence, that the Wayspot was renamed only after it was moved to another cell, way out of it real life location and only to benefit one game?

• Based on our research, the Wayspot does not require any adjustments at this time. Thank you!

• onecino-INGonecino-ING Posts: 222 Ambassador
    edited April 2023

Can you please shed some more light @NianticOtoStar?

It appears that between the time the report was made and looked at the Wayspot was renamed from Krowiô Bramô to Karwitór which makes even less sense - it cannot be found on Google or any other search engine.

@KotOtaki-PGO provided you with a comprehensive list of resources proving the value of original Polish name for any explorer - the alternative names are nowhere near providing the amount of historical and cultural information that can be easily understood by players of all games regardless of what language they speak on daily basis.

Karwitór is the name of the passage that has been operating among the Kashubian community serving Gdańsk for centuries. On its basis, as in the case of many other names in Kashubia and Pomerania, creating the Polish name of this place. The Kashubian name is therefore a characteristic feature, a local feature, of autochthons and indigenous peoples. The Polish name is a secondary, post-colonial name, being the original Kashubian name

Only in your imagination

@NianticOtoStar

I'm no longer sure what is the current name of this wayspot, if it's a correct name Krowia Brama set by Niantic based on this appeal or was it already changed again to some other name which is incorrect regardless of what it is.

Is it possible to block changes to wayspot names after the appeal is reviewed as valid and the name is restored by Niantic? Any "community" change right after Niantic restores the name is disrespectful to both Niantic and players, is done with malicious intensions and doesn't help player community.

I understand that the integration concerns in-game point name changes that have been changed by the local community through voting on the Wayfarer website. You are trying to change these names to other than those that have been adopted by the local community, which is the lot of people who devote their time to Wayfarer, as well as Kashubian culture.

It is worth noting that reporting name changes by games is one of the ways the gaming community interacts with the developers of the game. Niantic may consider feedback and suggestions from the community, including the local Kashub community.

It is important that the entire gaming community respects the decisions made by the local community that spends their time on the Wayfarer site

The genesis of Gdańsk dates back to pre-Christian times, when Slavic tribes, including Kashubians, settled in this area. This settlement was an important center of maritime trade and crafts, as well as a place of residence for people engaged in fishing and agriculture. Over time, this settlement developed and gained in importance. In the 10th century, the warriors of Mieszko I appeared on the Baltic Sea, probably establishing a fortified settlement there.

There are many hypotheses about who had the greatest influence on the creation of Gdańsk. However, as I have already mentioned, the etymology of the name shows that it was created by adding the suffix "-ьsk-" to the Proto-Slavic root "-gьd" meaning wet, damp. The toponymy of the name Gdynia is the same. The only Pomeranians in the area were Kashubians, which indicates that Kashubians could have played a key role in the founding of Gdańsk.

Of course, over time, various nations and cultures settled in Gdańsk, including Poles, Germans, Dutch, French and others. However, Kashubian culture still plays a significant role in Gdańsk's history and heritage. Nowadays, Gdańsk is also an important center for the promotion of Kashubian culture and tradition, and the Kashubian language is still used by the local community.

Ultimately, it can be said that Gdańsk is a city with a multicultural heritage, and the Kashubian culture is one of its inseparable elements that still influence its identity and character.

edited April 2023

@NianticOtoStar

I just came back from wayspot in question area and it looks like this particular wayspot no longer exists at all.

So now, instead of properly named wayspot in a historical landmark we have nothing. Instead we have dozens of other wayspots around the area, in less representative spots, all of them having foreing names, not undestandable by avarage Polish speaking player.

Any in game effort to change such a name back to correct and understandable one will be rejected by "community" and appeal in these cases would be very difficult as it's hard to prove that murals, or small architectural objects for example have incorrect names.

It looks like bad actors and abusers are winning against Niantic in their own game and agains majority of players. This is really sad...

On the Wayfarer website, the evaluators strive to ensure that the selected objects are of the highest quality and clearly visible in the game for players. However, it's worth remembering that not all wayspots are visible in Pokemon Go due to some limitations. That's why it's important that reviewers consider various factors such as practicality, safety, and player accessibility when evaluating facilities on the Wayfarer site. Thanks to this, players will have a better gaming experience and use of selected wayspots

• Hi all! We’ve made the necessary changes to the title of the Wayspot. Thank you!

edited April 2023

@NianticOtoStar

Thank you very much both for your respect for Kashubian culture

Post edited by Godocz-PGO on

@NianticOtoStar I think you may have pressed wrong key. There is still a false Wayspot name. We have sent enough evidence that the name Wayspot is a "Krowia Brama" (COW GATE). Please restore correct Wayspot name.

Last time I checked, two days ago I think, the name was correct - "Krowia Brama". I honestly hope it still is correct, and those who are responsible for a mess in Gdańsk, Poland will have their Wayferer access voided as they use it only to create chaos.

@NianticOtoStar - The name of the wayspot has been changed back to the incorrect one, stated in the first post of this thread.

Please rename it back to official, correct Polish name listed above and prevent further changes to anything that doesn't respect Polish heritage of the city and its landmarks.

After the 1308 Kashubian **** in Gdańsk, the city of Gdańsk belonged ethnically to Germans until 1945. Do you think that in order to honor the memory of Gdańsk residents from that period, historic buildings should be named in German?