Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

"what is it" Category Refresh?

Hi,

I've noticed while reviewing that I often have to spend a lot of time making things fit into the what is it categories e.g.

A football pitch

Cricket Pitch

Basketball Court

Best fit is Athletic Field, which it definitely isn't but there's not an option.

Also trying to categorise signs takes time too, but this can seem overkill when sign would suffice.

What is this data used for and is it fit for purpose?

Answers

• rangersbc72-PGOrangersbc72-PGO Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

I'd imagine that category data is used to generate a training set for a machine learning algorithm that Niantic could use to eventually use to classify different types of objects without human input. This sort of activity is very challenging and requires a very large (and QC'ed) training set.

• 5h4d3d51d35-PGO5h4d3d51d35-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭

In which case, I'm assuming that it would be beneficial to request new categories as opposed to creating bad learning data?

• rangersbc72-PGOrangersbc72-PGO Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

I believe so. You'd want to minimize overlap of categories, like the ones "Informational Sign" verses "Educational Sign". Text-filled signs could be plausibly categorized as either of those.

• 5h4d3d51d35-PGO5h4d3d51d35-PGO Posts: 15 ✭✭

Exactly! 😁

It'd be cool to have a date of creation option too as the options for plaque, I believe are something like Memorial or dedication when you get a lot of date related POI's

• arcaicways-PGOarcaicways-PGO Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

honestly athletic field is best choice for some of them being as lets look at football whats a football field in america would be considered rubgy field in europe. soccer field would be football .

then there are other fields that are multiuse such as bad mitten/ volleyball

• BoutItMan-PGOBoutItMan-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭

We could use also

Structure - Pavilion

Structure - Pergola

Structure - Artesian Well

and a sub-category of Marina - Slipway

(usually, marinas offer only mooring, not necessarily a ramp to launch/retrieve boats... and I have reviewed a lot of Boat Ramps).

• Ferdawoon-PGOFerdawoon-PGO Posts: 6 ✭✭

Hijacking this thread a little bit but, is there a place where we can read some clarifications on what these categories mean?

As an example, I have both "Playground - place" and "Playground - structure" and I have no idea what the difference is.. I have been using "structure" if there's any form of structure (as in swings or similar) but I keep thinking that should be reserved for something bigger like a building.

I have also been asked to review various signs. Some are signs welcoming the visitor to a "Nature Reserve" with some info about it. Should that go into the "Place > Nature reserve" category, "Sign > Welcome" or "Sign > Information" or even "Object > Sign > Education > Nature"? I find that I skip the categories a lot just because of how confusing I find it and I don't want to use the wrong category.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding your last paragraph, I go based on what the *nomination* is. If they're nominating the park, and the photo is is the park sign, I'd go with Park. If they're nominating the sign itself (and if I don't reject it as ineligible) I'd go with Sign > Name, most likely.