What's wrong with this nomination?

quirischa-INGquirischa-ING Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Nomination:

Result (negative):

Full details (trere are no details):

Niantic, what is wrong? The photo depicts the church, the description is relevant to the object, pedestrian access is visible.

Comments

• ShayminC1-PGOShayminC1-PGO Posts: 69 ✭✭

This photo is ineligible because it includes human face.

Please read photo guidelines carefully before submitting.

• quirischa-INGquirischa-ING Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

Objection! Human faces are not the main subject in the photo. This is the tourist center of the city, of course, there will be people walking along the streets.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@quirischa-ING Having recognizable people in the main photo (but not the supporting photo, necessarily) is grounds for rejection. Unrecognizable "ambient" people can be OK if they're unavoidable.

People in the main photo due to optical aberrations look like this:

In addition, you will never see a photo at 100% scale (how i show it to you here) to be able to recognize someone there. It's my unwavering opinion that in this case such reason for refusal is far-fetched.

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,607 Ambassador

I agree that I would not reject for people, but you're always going to run across wayfinders who reject any slight view of a person.

However, none of that is relevant because Niantic reviewed this directly. Since they don't provide reasons for their rejections, I would assume that they thought this doesn't meet any criteria.

I would say that it's not clear to me what criterion you think this meets. A functioning church meets the "be social" and possibly the "explore" criteria (since people explore their spirituality through the church). But this is not a functioning church. What are people supposed to do at this place? If tourists can't get inside and no one can worship there, it's just a random building.

OK, I Googled this church and now I'm thinking that Niantic may have rejected it because, "According to a 2011 news report by RFE/RL Norashen is the "biggest source of Georgian-Armenian tensions." (Wikipedia quote) I have enjoyed reading about this, but this site seems incredibly controversial and possibly a dangerous location for people to be hanging around.

edited April 2023

@SeaprincessHNB-PGO

Since they don't provide reasons for their rejections

That's the point! One has to guess what is wrong with the nomination although Niantic should have provide them.

If tourists can't get inside and no one can worship there, it's just a random building.

Firstly, the facade faces the street, which is already enough to see the church. And secondly, tourists can enter the territory, take a walk around the church, watch the bas-reliefs on its outer walls, look inside through a window, and make sure that due to a now-frozen conflict renovation inside started and stopped unfinished.

No danger around, there are no unbridled crowds fighting each other with clubs and swords.

• PeteC303-INGPeteC303-ING Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

If it’s an historic building and has interesting architecture then it has historical and cultural significance. And seeing as the some research has been done it seems to have a “story” behind it. And isn’t just a random building. Saying that is quite disrespectful to the location’s history and it’s people. It should have been accepted and would have probably been accepted by a community vote. The people aren’t the focus of the picture and that shouldn’t be a reason for the rejection. I’d just submit again and hope the community reviews it.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,559 Ambassador

With renovations frozen and religious services stopped, this still looks like a cool and historical church. Granted, it's now more of a statue of a church than a functional church building, but I do love the history provided! The people are not the focus of the image, not recognizable or intentionally posed, and actually (in my opinion) almost help prove the safe pedestrian access and curiosity value of this relic by their presence. I don't see why this wasn't accepted by Niantic, but then again I know their internal reviewers sometimes do unexplainable things. They really do need to provide better feedback on their rejections.

• Ykrichard-PGOYkrichard-PGO Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Does the actual name of the Church include Disputed Church and " "?

The name is Norashen Church, but because among the locals it called as a "disputed church", I considered it possible to combine both the "folk name" and the "official name" into one.

@PeteC303-ING, I'll probably follow your advice the next time I'm in that place.

@Shilfiell-ING, Well said, thank you!

• Ykrichard-PGOYkrichard-PGO Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

I would advise against using the word disputed. To me, that means area of contention or something that's not 100% correct. I assume the word you're looking for is actually undisputed. However, I would simply use Norashen Church and slim down the description. "Built in 1467, this Church stands as one of the oldest in T'bilisi with a rich Armenian history." 

In the additional section, you could write a bit more about said history or reference to the wiki/website. I would also advise against using the word closed, as people may think it's no longer in use or being taken down and not worthy of a waypoint.