Exclusive New Pokémon GO Feature Comes to Explorers - Routes Creation - Discussion

Comments

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Mateo. Le bastarde he hides...

Doctor. This logic thing you talk about.. Can you explain some more?

• TheOneAndrew-PGOTheOneAndrew-PGO Posts: 28 ✭✭

I have had two routes accepted within a week of submission but outside of that, nothing.

• The26thDoctor-PGOThe26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you ran your own business and on release of a new product you made sure the product works, your customers have the information they need on how the product functions and how to communicate with you if they have any problems.... That would be logical.

Illogical would be....

• AeriTheBOFH-PGOAeriTheBOFH-PGO Posts: 261 ✭✭✭

After getting disillusioned with routes, I decided to do one this morning on the way to work for that routes event in PoGo, but the catch was, I couldn't find the route that my friend had created. Got her to check, route still published, but it wasn't there.

Weird eh, turns out what happened was when Niantic decided to selectively reapply their density rules sometime last week(?), the pokestop that was the beginning of the route is no longer a pokestop, not even an Ingress portal, it's now probably just a lightship-only POI.

That route still "exists" but no way to use it, nice work Niantic... 🙃

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,327 Ambassador

@TheOneAndrew-PGO

I think the Jubillee river is being reviewed because we have noticed before that walks close to rivers make them jumpy and throw in what looks like motorway or dual carriageway at least and it becomes risky.

One of mine featuring the River Mersey and a motorway so some similarities and same fate

It’s been saying the same thing now though for months… so I’m not seeing a change in any way.

It’s that way unfortunately……

I have a pub crawl from 24th June in limbo

You could try doing it again but try it as 2 halves - depending on pokestops availability one north and one south of the river and see what happens

That’s the thing, I’ve done exactly that and separated the river into two distinct sections, with the intention of when I do go back home (I’m at uni right now), I would submit the river as a whole.

edited December 2023

Crikey m8te - he is just like all the other Italians.....:-)

Post edited by rufoushumming-PGO on

@TheOneAndrew-PGO I have just created a new one this morning. In a park - Straight to AI approval. Walked 30 seconds after created

But my others are still in review.

So.....

@AeriTheBOFH-PGO What do you mean Niantic reset the density rules?

The move the cells about or what?

Absolutely routes will be removed if the start and end point are no longer in PGO. It is why some Routes I try to choose really solid POIs that are unlikely to change over the next few years :-)

I GOT Mateo to appear

After doing few routes, it was clear that Mateo, on his supposed visit to me for finishing a route had bugg3red off to the beach for a few cold ones.

To make him accountable - I had to turn on Activity Synch.......... So PGO location on all the time and physical activity on. UGH

I don't know why you need that for route creation. Cause you don't. But I wonder if they have it on for Challenges so that people do not rort the system?

But if you hear of any people with Mateo down the beach getting heavy on the lash tell them to try turning on AS.

edited December 2023

I think where all of mine effectively go through a tunnel which is under a motorway of some kind, minus one (which you have to cross a pedestrian traffic light admittedly (this one I think is iffy (genuinely unsure if this will go through but will walk this roughly 3-4 times per week if I'm off and the weather isn't too bad) but does offer safe passage if you press the button), So, I'm expecting this might be the reason why it's taking so long...

PITA though where, despite all of them having safe passage, it takes so long to go through, to the point where it's now exceeding 100 days!

• AeriTheBOFH-PGOAeriTheBOFH-PGO Posts: 261 ✭✭✭

We have a few places around here where there were multiple POIs live in PoGo in the same level 17 cell, sometime last week, I observed the following happening:

1. Gym disappeared for a few days, reappeared as pokestop in the same location, during its disappearance, the POI was not even in lightship
    2. Level 17 cell with multiple pokestops had all but 1 pokestop disappear (the ones that disappeared became either lightship only or is an Ingress portal)
    3. Level 17 cell with multiple pokestops had all but 1 pokestop disappear, but the pokestop that's there was an Ingress portal only but is now a pokestop and the former pokestop is now lightship only or is an Ingress portal

The only logical explanation I have is that when any sort of edit gets processed, the density rule gets re-evaluated, but that still doesn't explain #1. It definitely wasn't a blanket re-evaluation of the density rule because there are still level 17 cells here with up to 4 POIs in PoGo.

It's just really annoying though, now my favourite route is in limbo. The pokestop that was the start of the route is solid by any means. It's still there in real life and it's in lightship, but it doesn't matter how solid it is, it doesn't help when Niantic waves a magic wand and make weird stuff happen. Technically the route hasn't been removed, it's still there but it just can't be used because the starting point doesn't exist in PoGo. Maybe one day when one can actually edit routes, we can get it resurrected.

It could be a bug or maybe they just want as many people using AS as possible.

Even though this is 4 years old it's probably still one of the more interesting pieces on Niantic

Yeah. No logic that we know of. I also wonder if they have a system that goes this place has X number we need to give another place a chance.

We know AI is at play so they have a very very very long queue. The review process was already long with a few thousand beta testers. Now they have enabled routes creation to many many more people who can do 10 a month (rolling ten per 30 days it looks like).

It also appears that published lists are batched. So every so often everyone here goes I have X amount published/rejected. We know that stats are batch updated. And that Badges, created and nearby all have differing numbers. So PGO have a lot of work still to do to finish the product off.

Once I discovered that there are some routes that I can almost know will get in. I concentrate on those. Parks. Parks and Parks. But also suburban areas with few routes and POIs not used. But what I say works for me oftern does not for others!

Oh that is frustrating. I have not seen that yet or heard of it. Always going to be a risk for all of us.

It is why I select some routes with hard and fast POIS unlikely to be removed. Well I thought would not!!!!!

Thinking about it. I did see a few stops change. Become new stops. Then change back. And some lose their image. And come back and a couple of POIs appeared a few months ago that should not be there and seemed to have popped out of the DB archives.

So yeah maybe they are playing with the DB. And the way routes work if the POI end or start is removed (NOT edited) then the routes goes.

Thanks for sharing your insights

I am burning everything I own............ You know - I know about this - so am not surprised - I am surprised that I let myelf allow it that much. We see no harm - we assume no harm - we enable future harm. Not going to get into a philosophical debate

But the article really shows how getting AS turned on all the time is important to them. The game does not need it unless you want to use physical activity tracking to get more steps. But even then I would love to know how it is using it. Not comfortable in forcing me to use it. I actively ensure it is turned off. I do 75K of walking, running with the app on. Don't need it tracking my cooking steps :-)

edited December 2023

OK I walked 4 routes today. Issues with pause on three of them at start. Repeated pauses . No Z cells at end on any.

Took three taps to get to route on nearby routes. Then taps again to reverse route to direction actually required. I wonder if it resets to the direction the last person took??? Dunno.

No Mateo (@The26thDoctor-PGO ) I had AS on. I created a route so I know I had it on. So scrap the AS comment I made earlier. Weird. It did take 6 routes yesterday to get Mateo. Will see how many this time.

It is 39c today so fair call if he is back at beach

the Route created today was a straight AI approval. Walk 30 secs later. This was the exact same route as rejected for being dangerous the last time it was in the review queue. Started in Park. ended in Park. Crossed one park road. Multiple POIs and Gyms. @TheOneAndrew-PGO thought you might be interested how the AI is going

All other routes in review queue remain.

There are definitely some people who are finding not finding Mateo. We have tried all sorts of things to no avail. Now it might be they are unlucky and you need to walk a route multiple times but most people do t have the flexibility to do that. Mateo as far as I can tell justs want to sit by the roaring fire in the pub.

The reverse direction bug is intensely irritating, mainly because it is inconsistent . It can be really hard to tell before clicking follow to be sure you have it correct. And having to repeat the process in the dark and rain is no joy.

The other bug is that some routes don’t show sometimes. Certain routes seem to be particularly prone to this. Sometimes I have to be in certain places to be able to see and select a route. Again this is variable between players. My friend and I standing next to each other the other night I was showing 19 routes he was showing 13. It took about 10 mins of walking around for us both to be able to select the same route.

I would say that's weird as he has always shown up on my first route but.... Niantic.

0.293 fixes nothing for routes.

Reverse direction still needed, badges still gone etc

I've seen someone say restarting near the end works for Mateo but I haven't had to try it so can't confirm.

Accidentally started a route this morning that I couldn't follow so had to quit. No Mateo on 5 subsequent routes on my way home. First time he has not shown up out of 4 days.

Possible causes

1. Mateo Will only appear once a day. If you miss him he goes off drinking exploring.

2. My gifts were at max so didn't receive any to exchange at the end.

3. My Go+ was on so I didn't spin any stops on the route to get gifts.

4. Mateo is hungover.

5.Niantic...Blah...Incapable...Blah...Indifferent... Blah...Testing...Blah

Interesting re the routes numbers . Not surprised. I am still intrigued as to how the routes completion numbers vary in all three places to see a route.

I note the last batch update of numbers for me was around the 29th of Nov. Nothing this month yet. Still not worked out the update pattern.

I reckon Mateo is hungover from reviewing that @Elijustrying-ING Pub Crawl route that has been in review since forever.

How can you Miss Mateo though? I have tested with gifts available. The first routes were all walked successfully. I have walked route more than once. And in both directions. so

Any review routes published??

Nothing published apart from AI/ML ones.

I think starting and stopping a route led to Mateo going AWOL for me unless any of you have done the same and still bumped into him lurking around pokestops on a different route?

The only time he appeared was on like the 6th route of the day. I can say with certainty that route did not pause. Stop or start. Or I looked at the time and went back to the game.

I will go test this.

I think that it is most likely that Mateo is checked off as ready to appear when you start, as you can see him long before you have walked far enough you just need to be close to end point. So having set in motion that is probably marked as your lot for the day.

He is jolly

Did a long route. No Mateo at start. The AS was off. Gifts were at capacity. Half Way through created new Waypoint. Game paused. Finished Waypoint. undid pause and completed route.

Z cell and Mateo appeared.

So AS is not required. Pause will not stop it. Gifts at capacity will not stop it. I will do a couple more routes today. Once temp drops below 36 c and sun is hidden.

50% of my created routes are updated in terms of completed route walked metrics as of this morning (last walk date appears 7th of Dec). Though it appears not all complete route numbers are coming through. And Badges and Nearby are still out.

Auto accept that ends at a park but is otherwise on residential streets.

0.293 now gives you the option to choose when to start recording.

A map of the created route, title, description, badge and colour are now on one page and can be edited just before you submit the route you have walked.

edited December 2023

Recreated an old route. . Former rejected path for being inaccessible I think. After hundreds of completed routes walks. So

It was a metro path. Not park or rural.

Any how - it did not listen to me. It veered off path across a set of buildings. Then went across a road I did not cross. Back across again. then took me down the middle of a road for several hundred meters. Then back across another road and back again. Anyhow circular walk. Figure of 8. About 1.3K long.

I was convinced the AI would reject but no. Accepted. So I walked it straight away.

Half way along - I did a poke battle and the app froze. Closed. I logged back in and it had a meltdown. .Tried other phone. Then I checked internet. None. Rebooted walked across road away from high rises.. Connectivity and now able to walk back. Restart route and complete. I of course 5 starred it. But

I wonder if people have been rejecting routes as inaccessible if they get an internet/connectivity issue? On a 500m route not so bad. But 1K or more half way through that would miff you off no end if you had to spend 5 or 10 minutes trying to get back on route again. So I am a bit more circumspect about inaccessible as a rejection choice.

It does show the subtly of using the app. Phone type/age. Data reception. Connectivity on the day. Will impact the experience. and this from a major metropolitan hotspot with multiple base stations. It seems buildings are a real issue.

I have found that if I don't do a gym battle, stop battle, catch anything, the app exeperience of walking a route is happier in such places.

Speaking of Mateo. Only seen once today. All other routes no show. Back at pub or beach

Post edited by rufoushumming-PGO on