Whats happening here? Location edit - remember seeing this multiple times and voting at least twice

This is weird. I remember this particular one as I have spent a lot of time first time around trying to find the actual location but wasn't able to find it so marked as "cant find appropriate location"

However later I saw this again and today I got the review again. And every time its the showing the same set of points. Doesn't seem like another person submitted the location edit again

I remember voting on it at least twice and seeing it thrice maybe. Is this a bug or something? can someone throw a light on this?

Tagged:

Comments

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,315 Ambassador

I have had a similar situation. In fact for one I lost track on the number of times I was asked to vote on it. I suspect what was happening was either it was a fresh submission, or another point was submitted and conflated into the one review. It can be hard to tell as when you zoom in you sometimes realise there are actually 2 almost identical points on top of each other.

I don’t know exactly how it works but it does seem to happen when there are multiple points. It becomes a waste of time, but for once something I can do quickly as it’s instantly recognisable.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elijustrying-ING Niantic really needs to dedupe multiple nearly-identical location changes in some rational way. I constantly come across cases where there's one pin by itself, clearly the original pin, and five or ten that are all within a meter or two of each other. It's impossible to see under multiple pins to confirm the location, and generally no way to actually select the specific one that you want.

Sadly, it's also often the original pin that's correct and the multiple nearly-identical changes are an attempt to change the location for a specific game.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,315 Ambassador

I agree about it ending up as a nonsense I often choose can’t tell, because often I can’t unless it’s clear on streetview.

• 29andCounting-PGO29andCounting-PGO Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think every time someone adds an edit request to an existing edit request, it starts the whole voting process over again.

• AgentMeadify-INGAgentMeadify-ING Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Yes. there should ideally be a way to consolidate edits - multiple location within a few meters range of each other should be consolidated

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, when help desk makes a location edit, they should DELETE ALL LOCATION EDITS IN QUEUE.

That's why the suggested location is almost exactly at the current location.

1. It was originally off.
    2. Someone submitted an edit.
    3. The edit was in queue months or years.
    4. Someone else submitted an edit, which combined with the original edit, and reset agreements/disagreements collected so far.
    5. More months passed.
    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 many times.
    7. Someone got fed up and got the help desk (or other NIantic employee) to put the pin in the correct place.
    8. More months pass.
    9. Now the original location edit (and any subsequent edits) come to you - and the active location is already correct. Giving the community one more chance to mess it up - and we start over with step 1.