The Appeal Queue is nearly over

Comments

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't matter if there are signs about when there is safe pedestrian access. A Wayspot should have safe pedestrian access at all times of the day, barring weather conditions. If it only has safe access for part of the day—such as tidal access—then it should not be a Wayspot.

• AhGddvc-INGAhGddvc-ING Posts: 44 ✭✭

That's so open to interpretation, consider a large park where you would need to cross a road to get to it. You do not have safe access at all times, as you need to cross the road when there is a gap in traffic.

• SethMizudori-PGOSethMizudori-PGO Posts: 320 ✭✭✭

1) the sticks can possibly be helpful in crossing a unsafe submerged area.

2) So the Trail Markers is not nominated for some reason unknown.

3) Acceptable, am I confused was declined twice?

4) better argue your reasoning for the decline or accept the community and/or Niantic.

• AhGddvc-INGAhGddvc-ING Posts: 44 ✭✭

That depends on the tide. Typically twice a day for 6 hours according too the current council charts. Though they are very conservative.

There is also the aspect that the photo presents a generic natural environment.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've just had an appeal accepted that was originally rejected by the automated filter. They clearly are doing some reading, as my nomination required linking to a couple of threads on here to prove that what I was nominating was actually acceptable.

Also, for the record so that people can see current appeal timescales, the appeal was submitted on August 23rd and accepted on October 20th. So we're down to a little under 2 months for appeal decisions now.

Based on your text 2 & 5 should be approved. No photo no more insight. The other can be rejected, if you disagree improve the nomination.

Like my friend got a rejection. “3rd party photo”, ridiculous obviously. However the nomination was submitted remotely. Thus a clear avenue to improve the nomination.

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im holding off using appeals at the moment because appeal decisions have started getting appalling in the last month or so.

Whatever/whoever niantic changed, they need to change back.

• smantz0rZ-PGOsmantz0rZ-PGO Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

Based on some of the posts here it seems like they're giving as much time/thought to the Appeals as some of the less-discerning reviewers might be.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember that there's a massive sampling bias in what you read on forums-- pretty much the only people who post about appeals are the ones who are upset about the results. There is almost certainly a silent majority who are happy with the outcome and don't feel compelled to post about it.

(Take me, for example. My outstanding appeal was just approved. I'd never mention it except as an example for the previous paragraph. I've only had four things to appeal and I have a 100% approval rate.)

• ForzaComo-INGForzaComo-ING Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

My previous post is of course subjective, as anyone's individual posts are.

I however did reflect on my earlier appeals and to the fact that the reasoning for rejected appeals hints that the additional information given has not been read or understood (or the guidelines aren't known).

I never said that ALL my appeals are reviewed hastily as I've got at least one grave accepted via appeal that I was not very confident with. But the reviewer clearly had read and understood the importance of the wayspot and accepted my appeal.

But just to compare to what the situation was > 1 year ago, it feels - based on my own appeals - that they are reviewed more hastily than before.

edited October 2023

I really wasn't asking for insight about my rejected appeals. As I wrote, they should all have been accepted based on wayspot guidelines and my experience.

And as I also wrote, I can't improve the nominations as they are from around Finland and abroad and I usually don't travel to same places again.

PS. Number 4 is a bronze sculpture "Balloon dog" from Mihaly Kolodko, featured for example in this article. I have hard time understanding it being "normal" and not meeting the criteria as I was told: https://www.travelmag.com/articles/the-mini-statues-of-budapest/

No need to be condescending.

You seem to be missing my actual point. My post was not about receiving opinions and insight about my nominations, but how they were handled and argued during the recent appeal process.

• gorgi1978-PGOgorgi1978-PGO Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

That bias is two-way. We indeed don't know how many appeals are valid and the people processing the appeals are doing a splendid job.

But we also don't know which percentage of the people with rejected appeals are finding their way towards the forum.

My point is your post does not fit the thread. Your misusing the tread to complain about not getting Appeals Approved.

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just want to say the reduced queue is fab. Fair call on most of my appeals.

I am a lot more choosey on appeals now. I am also more likely to go back and do the nomination again and make it a better nomination rather than appeal it. Address the criteria. Be clearer in why it meets eligibility and acceptability.

I think some appeals, and I include some of my earlier ones, were emotional appeals. Or appeals done with a singular lens. So having written and edited nominations for our own aims rather than writing for the game and the reviewer - we than carry that view into the appeals process - but that preception is magnified by now feeling a sense of personal attack/outrage on ourselves.

And as ever appeals are subject to ambiguity. They will always carry a risk of another lens on our nomination and people will decypher it differently.

Be cool if we could withdrwa an appeal or even an in voting as you can with in queue. Just allow us to help keep those queues down.

After the European challenge I wonder how the queues are over there :-)

But hey am pleased the queue is shorter so thanks for the team for reducing them.

• DerwanEX-PGODerwanEX-PGO Posts: 14 ✭✭

I still have an appeal from December last year. It's been "In Voting (Niantic)" for months now. It's a simple trail marker that should've been approved in the first place.

I don't understand why some appeals get through within months, while others appear to sit in "limbo". I guess it's the same with nominations.

They're going through them in the order the appeals were submitted. They're currently dealing with appeals submitted during the second half of August 2023.

Just so you're aware, the date you see in your contributions tab is the date the original nomination was submitted. This date is not the date the appeal was submitted. To find that date, you need to find the email that confirms that the appeal was received, as the date that this email was sent is the date that actually matters for determining your appeal's position in the queue.

If it is the case that your appeal was submitted in December 2022 and hasn't yet been reviewed, I suggest you take a screenshot of the nomination showing that it's in Niantic Voting, plus a screenshot of the email you received when you submitted the appeal (that shows the date the email was sent, but remember to censor your email address), and post them here and tag someone like @NianticAaron to get them to look into it, as the December 2022 appeals were all meant to be dealt with a long time ago.

• DerwanEX-PGODerwanEX-PGO Posts: 14 ✭✭

Thanks. Here was me taking screenshots as I found the email from 27 December 2022 - but then couldn't find the nomination when I filtered for "In Voting (Niantic)". And what do you know! It was approved by Niantic about half an hour ago. Coincidence? 😜

• TablogEimrats-PGOTablogEimrats-PGO Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

One of my appeals clicked over into “In Voting” a week ago. I still haven’t received a decision on it. Typically in the past, when one of my nominations/appeals has been picked up “in house”, I get a decision within 1-3 days. Is it possible this is a tech glitch causing it to be stuck somewhere, or is there another factor I’m not aware of causing the delay? Thanks!

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one that's been listed as "In Voting (Niantic)" since early September. It was appealed in January of 2023, and originally submitted in September of 2022. It's a trail marker, though, and since most Niantic internal reviewers seem to expect some sort of artistic masterpiece for trail markers and reject normal trail markers as "generic", I'm not pushing for a quick decision.

• TablogEimrats-PGOTablogEimrats-PGO Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

That must be the reason. My appeal is of a trail. Fingers crossed both of our nominations are accepted!

• The26thDoctor-PGOThe26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm fecked then as my three remaining appeals, two in voting, are National Cycle Network blue metal trail signs.

I've had Niantic accept those fairly quickly on appeal (and a couple that were randomly reviewed by Niantic instead of regular reviewers). You should probably be fine.

Yet another completely incomprehensible reject to my appeal. Luckily the queues are almost over as I will now refrain myself from appealing any valid wayspots due to complete lack of professionalism in the way appeals are handled by Niantic subcontractors. I just don't want my nominations irreversibly rejected on completely false reasons.

I was way more satisfied when the queues were half a year, but the appeals were actually properly read and reviewed.

• anakin513-PGOanakin513-PGO Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I agree and have felt the same about some of my appeals in the last couple of months.

I never abuse or even realize the multiple appeals every day thing happened. So I waited for appeals to return. And I waited months and a couple, over a year on a lot of my appeals. I accept the final rejections still. Nothing much to do now anyway. Some were signs that seemed good - a welcome sign for the local area, a golf course entrance sign, etc.

But it's an early one I waited a long time on, for an entrance sign for a vacation resort, that disappointed me the most. It said "it is a common entrance sign of a business which has no significance." No, Marriott is a major name brand with an entrance sign for a large resort; you can walk safely past it on the public biking and walking trail that goes through out all the Sea Pines area in Hilton Head Island, SC - again not a buisness of no significance; I think for an area where tourism is really important to the economy. The sign is also hand crafted wooden sign. It is not a metal or common looking sign. Hilton Head is actually pretty strict about their signs. I wished I could re-do it but I haven't been back since 2021.

It's not the worst thing but these rejections and reasoning has started to feel different from before. So I agree with some on that.

I appreciate the appeal process exists a lot. I've gotten some great waypoints back thankfully. So it's not all bad but I feel like people should be able to express a little disappointment or constructive criticism here on the forum in general. Sometimes that does help to identify true problems and make things better for everyone, including niantic.