Park with no sign

There is no object like a sign or park bench to take a photo of. Only a man hole. How do I get this nominated?

Comments

• yohaneseric30-PGOyohaneseric30-PGO Posts: 39 ✭✭

Try something for sign park to accepted. Can take for picture to more aprroved?

• Faversham71-INGFaversham71-ING Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it a proper park, rather than just a small open space? Are there clear entrances?

Does it exist on a local authority list of parks? If it does that can go in supporting info.

• Google maps have an icon that says it's a park.

The trouble is anyone can add a symbol to google maps so reviewers are naturaly cautious.

If you are happy to share photos and or coordinates people might be able to offer better advice.

• The lawn is cut and there is a maintained garden

Is there any reference to it on the local authority/council web sites? What do the path entrances look like?

If you can find an official name, that you can link to on whoever maintains it/is responsible for it website, you could use that in supporting text and potentially use the path entrance for your POI marker.

Without a name you'll struggle.

• rufoushumming-PGOrufoushumming-PGO Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

Good luck.

Absolutely go for it. They are eligible and acceptable according to Niantic but you are going to have to work very very hard to not get it rejected.

From the photo I can see the community reserve/park off the footpath but would love to see more to confirm.

FYI - I have a small hyper local pocket park with no object to hang the POI off. I have addressed every criteria, linked to and talking to Niantic guidance on these, linked to local government website listing and associated documentation. The hyper local pocket park is even the council description and I referenced it

Never accepted. Has a bench. Water bubbler

Your reality is 99.9% of your reviewers don't believe it. They make their opinion when they see the park photo. They see no object so instant rejection. You need to do everything to get people to the supporting information and cross your fingers

I sought advice and people just went that is not a park. And then all went you need to hang it off an object.

When you say Garden - what do you mean. Veggie, flower... If you have a map reference please share

Good luck

Post edited by rufoushumming-PGO on
  • TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

What makes you think this is a park? From your photo, it looks like an empty lot instead of a park. While a sign isn't necessary, it still needs to be clearly identifiable as a park.

• The garden is full of native plants.

I found another park nearby on council records that also doesn't have a sign, called a park but looks like a forest / bushland reserve. Even harder to convince the 'My opinion overrules criteria' crowd.

A garden full of native plants can be part of anyone's yard, so that doesn't mean the lot is a park. And this isn't "opinion overruling criteria" because you haven't shown that this empty lot meets the eligibility criteria in the first place. In fact, one of the acceptance criteria all nominations must meet is that it is an "identifiable place or object". And so far, your nomination hasn't done that.

• Shritwod-INGShritwod-ING Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

It looks like a patch of grass with some trees, sorry. I would be tempted to reject it from that photo.

Sometimes OpenStreetMap has better information on parks than Google Maps, so you might find that the park is named on there, that might help as a citation.

OSM is entirely user-generated content that anyone can edit or add to and is therefore not a reliable source for anything.

Can you please share the google map location

It may be possible to give more advice

• Diskrepansi-INGDiskrepansi-ING Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

This is the problem: what does that truly mean? What makes it "identifiable as a park"?

NianticTintino-ING indicated: "Parks are definitely eligible Wayspot nominations, even ones without official name stones or signs indicating it as a park but are clearly still parks. Similar to the one below, it’s fine to place the pin in the middle of the park and then take a main photo that captures as much of the park as possible. Keep in mind that signage or other obvious focal points are prefered but not necessary.  A good nomination will provide evidence that the location is intended to be used as a park or open use recreational area."

What does it mean "to be used as a park"? If there is additional explanation of this, I haven't found it. I have taken my kids to a local greenspace to kick a ball around, or toss a frisbee, or fly a kite (exercise); the kids have certainly used local greenspaces to meet up with friends and hang out (social). Does this make it a "park" since we (and others in the area) use it recreationally?

I have seen greenspaces that are eligible simply because they're named and have signage, but in terms of usage/function, have been exactly like any other greenspace - no additional facilities, or paths, or equipment, etc. So since "signage or other obvious focal points are prefered but not necessary", doesn't this make them the same thing?

Honestly struggling with this one.

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

The key word is "intended." If it's "intended to be used as a park," that means some government, landowner, or other authority has specifically designated it as a park (regardless of whether they put up a sign).

So a green space that appears on official maps or legal documents as a park is "intended to be used as a park." There may not be a sign, but if you can provide evidence of the park designation, it could be an acceptable nomination. A vacant lot or undeveloped area that just happens to be a convenient place for recreation, however, does not fall in the category of "intended to be used as a park."

• Diskrepansi-INGDiskrepansi-ING Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

I still don't think this suffices as an explanation.

In my community, there are lots of greenspaces that were intentionally developed as such, and would have been submitted by the area developer(s) to the city for approval prior to development; this would provide the "intention". They are now maintained by the city; this would provide the support via authority/government. The greenspaces do appear on maps, they're simply not named - and there has been no indication that naming on a map is required. I do find it interesting that the greenspaces I'm referring to actually do have an address number assigned to them, further indicating that these are designated / registered locations with the city; they're simply not "named".

Example of "numbered" park: 101 Sunvista Crescent SE - Google Maps

Example of "named" park: McKenna Park - Google Maps

From a functional/usage perspective, these two examples are the same: large greenspaces with no facilities on either of them.

There was clearly an intent to use these greenspaces, so I don't agree that the keyword is really "intended". I think the clarification needs to be "park" and/or "open use recreational area".

Lacking provided definition, I looked up a legal definition. Law Insider defines "public recreational area" as coastal and inland recreational areas, including beaches, shores, public parks, public lands, public trails, and bodies of water opened to the public for recreational use. "Recreational use" means those activities of a voluntary and leisure time nature that aid in promoting entertainment, pleasure, play, relaxation, or instruction. To me, this definition would easily include simple greenspaces.

Regarding the idea of parks appearing on "official maps or legal documents": I have not seen indication that this is a requirement. That aside, are you suggesting that a submitter somehow hunt such a thing down and somehow provide it (municipal documentation is often still hard-copy in many places)? And/or each reviewer do the same? Or are you suggesting that online sources like Google Maps are "official"?

Wow, this got long-winded. Anyway, my ultimate point here is that without this being properly defined by Niantic, their own updates to what are acceptable POIs will go misunderstood and cause unnecessary frustration.

edited December 2023

A green space is hard to get accepted without a name tag or an object to hang it off but it is possible. To ensure best chance any official documentation by a local government authority may help. Such as a link to website/documents that show where the POI and how/what the LGA sees the use as.

Sadly not all LGAs are created equal. Which makes this harder. But if you want that space then you need to find the evidence.

So yes Diskrepansi-ING it is not a requirement but it is all about supporting your nomination. Google Maps is not enough. That hunt down is the best chance you have.

@01MechaDragon-PGO did not provide a link or google map reference. So all of this for this nomination is all guess work. Based on this I would recommend. Do the search. Write it well. very well. Use that supporting section. Reference the criteria challenge information. Link to the supporting government info and if more than one link provide. Ensure photos pop.

And its hard. Some green space is left over land. Some is green corridor. It was/is not intended as a public park/reserve/community garden/community park/recreation use. It is just there. Now that is probably where the really really hard work comes in. But it can pay off.

Some council list them. They define Parks by size and use. Some council designate really small parks as hyper local pocket parks. You need to find your LGA gold! And if used by local groups to meet then link to those too. Evidence

Yeah. Do the hard work :-) It does work :-)

Post edited by rufoushumming-PGO on